Revolver 2022... it's ON!

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Kwai Chang

Re: Revolver 2022... it's ON!

Post by Kwai Chang »

Carose wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:28 pm ...why didn't the powers that be include an LP of Yesterday...and Today with the original butcher cover that would have been the highlight for the songs "I'm Only Sleeping , Doctor Robert, And Your Bird Can Sing" instead of the 45 E.P., in my opinion, that would have been an insatiable draw to the first generation fans like myself...
That, my friend, is a beautiful idea. After all, the Y&T album is a REVOLVER footnote/sidebar that played a huge role in the ultimate causality that could only be described as marketing/promotional alchemy. The only real question is whether Capitol deserved all of the credit or was the transmutation a combined effort that somehow included EMI supervision/approval. It's undeniable that we are witnessing the final batch of elixir from Hollywood & Vine that would exhibit the staggering properties that surpass all expectations and prove that ripples can travel the width of an ocean. It's the most clever form of cross promotion ever devised. Symbiotic, synergistic yet, merely symbolic but for the scissors used to cut the pieces. Forget the nonsense about recalled LPs. There were no first state anything. The Y&T album was shipped with both covers in place from day one. Yawwwwwn.
Wake me up when Mr. Livingston throws out the first 'pitch'! We are distilling the essence of marketing and this batch will require an American Summer that will end on Aug 29 and a slight overlap that will resemble a trampoline. Brilliant damned strategy. But, it's 2022 and if the gears were actually engaged, would such an SDE include a stereo, a mono, or a Capitol Record Club edition of said potion?
Peace, everyone!
The Beginning...
KC
sirpaulstarling

Post by sirpaulstarling »

(made a post elsewhere, but wanted to add it here as well) I've been listening to the SDE 4LP box and noticed that "She Said She Said" from the stereo remixed album is a different mix than the one available on the streaming services. And before you start to say "well you might be listening to the Atmos version" or "your set up is messed up", I promise you its not that. On the streaming services (Spotify in this case) theres a stray guitar part on the left side that's all naked and alone and really out of place. It's been talked about on here for sure. On the vinyl box that guitar part is on the right side with the other guitars and sounds really good. So please tell me: did Apple mess up again ala the Let It Be box with the two versions of Glyn Johns "Get Back"?
StephenLofty

Post by StephenLofty »

sirpaulstarling wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:04 pm (made a post elsewhere, but wanted to add it here as well) I've been listening to the SDE 4LP box and noticed that "She Said She Said" from the stereo remixed album is a different mix than the one available on the streaming services. And before you start to say "well you might be listening to the Atmos version" or "your set up is messed up", I promise you its not that. On the streaming services (Spotify in this case) theres a stray guitar part on the left side that's all naked and alone and really out of place. It's been talked about on here for sure. On the vinyl box that guitar part is on the right side with the other guitars and sounds really good. So please tell me: did Apple mess up again ala the Let It Be box with the two versions of Glyn Johns "Get Back"?
Interesting. What’s on the left channel if both guitars are now on the right? The organ?

I request a 10 second preview? Or better yet the full song?
smithy20

Post by smithy20 »

Received my copy of the 5CD Deluxe version today, it looks great but I am having to return it as there are 2 STEREO mix CD's and NO Mono CD, bummer.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

smithy20 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:01 pm Received my copy of the 5CD Deluxe version today, it looks great but I am having to return it as there are 2 STEREO mix CD's and NO Mono CD, bummer.
I remember that happened when I bought "Turn Me On Dead Man". Two disc 1's. Luckily I took it back to the shop and the guy found disc 2 in another set (which had two Disc 2 's!)
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
ruedabeat

Post by ruedabeat »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:34 pm
smithy20 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:01 pm Received my copy of the 5CD Deluxe version today, it looks great but I am having to return it as there are 2 STEREO mix CD's and NO Mono CD, bummer.
I remember that happened when I bought "Turn Me On Dead Man". Two disc 1's. Luckily I took it back to the shop and the guy found disc 2 in another set (which had two Disc 2 's!)
"Turn me on dead man", legendary bootleg. :geek:
billychildish

Post by billychildish »

After having this for a week I finally got around to listening to it. My quick review:

Stereo: Why are there so many things which I've heard on every version of "Revolver" no longer heard or buried so far in the mix they are practically inaudible? Did Ringo even listen this because I can't see him signing off on his contributions so buried, especially "She Said, She Said". Those two quibbles aside, it's like listening to a decent fan mix except the guy who did the work on this had access to all the material. I feel there are a few members of this board, if they had the material, could have done a MUCH better job.

Mono: Disappointed in this disc. It doesn't "breathe" at all. My old Dr. Ebbetts mix blows this away. It sounds too shrill and "narrow" (sorry, don't know all the fancy terms) to me.

45: As Lord said, the echo is off in the stereo "Paperback Writer" and that kinda kills it for me. On the other hand, the mono versions of the single I thought sounded terrific and damn, what a punch on those guitars! I wish the Mono mix of the LP sounded this good.

Outtake discs: Having never bought one of these "Giles" boxed sets before and "Revolver" being my favorite album, I needed to pull the trigger on this set for these and for me, I enjoyed them very much. Yeah, they gave us some of the same stuff from "Anthology" but I think there are just enough outtakes to somewhat satisfy. Of course I would have LOVED another 2 discs worth but isn't Apple always about disappointing the hardcore fans?? Highlights for me were the "Love You To" & "Yellow Submarine" demos/worktapes and even though it's waaaaaay too short the "I Want to Tell You" short excerpt rips, so where is another take of that number?

The book: I can't wait to read it but with just a cursory glance, it looks nice to me.

Verdict: The first two discs can go in the rubbish. I'll take my Disque Americ rip which was shared here and my Dr. Ebbett original in it's place. The outtakes, which I really bought the set for in the first place, I will listen to more often. Was it worth the $109? Hell no.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

billychildish wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:29 pmWas it worth the $109? Hell no.
I dunno, I paid far more than that for Unsurpassed Masters 1-3 in 1990, and that was 5x as much money then.

The price is only a problem for me if the product is poor quality.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:37 am
I dunno, I paid far more than that for Unsurpassed Masters 1-3 in 1990, and that was 5x as much money then.

well, not sure for me in France. If I compare to what could I buy at the time 1989-1990 (stuff, computer, pain au chocolat, clothes, etc...) when Yellow Dog showed up; then Vigotone in 1990 for Lennon solo stuff.
When I bought these CDs in Paris, there were not more expensive than a regular official CD album. Like 120 francs.
That's only in the late 90's (1998) when $ was really high and I had to import from the US (shipping cost+US $) Vigotone box set (Imagine-all the sessions, etc...) from a music shop in New York that it was really expensive, but still not as expensive at the Revolver box set. I think that was like 75% of the price of a deluxe box set which is fair for a bootleg imported from the US with a booklet and 3 CDs.
When Revolver has only 2 real CDs of rarities.

I think that the 2 Lennon box set, especially the Plastic Ono Band box set (which is less expensive (90 euros) have more rarities + blu-ray and a beautiful book.
And some releases such as the Harry Nilsson RCA box set were really ship with a tons of fantastic unreleased tracks and outtakes.
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:37 am

I think about the percentage of my income I had available for things like this set and I’m not bothered by the price. We've gotten a ton of outtakes since 2017 at a decent price. It would boggle my mind in 1985.