Revolver 2022... it's ON!

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
EdinSc

Re: Revolver 2022... it's ON!

Post by EdinSc »

I downloaded a version of the box and the tracks ID as 96/24. The post says they are CD sourced, but is that possible? Could they be vinyl rips, or misidentified?
BDJ

Post by BDJ »

Yellowsubmarine wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:08 pm There's a terrible glitch at 1.58 on the right side of Good Day Sunshine. :(
What do you hear? I just hear some handclaps or extra percussion in the outtro....
Ants

Post by Ants »

BDJ wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:11 am
Yellowsubmarine wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:08 pm There's a terrible glitch at 1.58 on the right side of Good Day Sunshine. :(
What do you hear? I just hear some handclaps or extra percussion in the outtro....
The cymbal stops abruptly, and you can hear some kind of a tape glitch (which is also present in the original stereo mix, but less noticeable).
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

snrub wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:13 pm
georgefromhenley wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:28 pm Some tracks sound great - some dont.

Rain fast sounds odd - did they really played that fast and does a snare sound this high? Or was it recorded on vario speed from the start and Giles just used the wrong playback speed?
I completely agree, Rain still has an unnatural tone and feels a semitone too high. Speaking of unnatural, I also don't understand why they gave us a clearly sped-up version of Yellow Sub take 4. It ruins it a little for me and Ringo is not a chipmunk last I checked...
Rain is definitely not right….it’s completely unnatural..and Yellow Submarine I think was just slowed down a bit so Ringo could sing it and when played at the proper speed we get the chipmunk effect I’m Only Sleeping doesn’t sound as “off” though and the remix of She Said, She Said is horrible…guitars have vanished… the remix as a whole is fatiguing to listen to..at least to my ears..and this is primarily true for all the Giles remixes for me
Ants

Post by Ants »

Rickenbacker325 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:09 pm Rain is definitely not right….it’s completely unnatural..and Yellow Submarine I think was just slowed down a bit so Ringo could sing it and when played at the proper speed we get the chipmunk effect I’m Only Sleeping doesn’t sound as “off” though and the remix of She Said, She Said is horrible…guitars have vanished… the remix as a whole is fatiguing to listen to..at least to my ears..and this is primarily true for all the Giles remixes for me
As MasterJedi said, there's a 50hz hum in the drums+guitars track of the "Actual Speed" Rain version, so it was recorded at that speed.
The bass was overdubbed at a slower speed though (very close to the released version).
PaulsBrokenaGlass

Post by PaulsBrokenaGlass »

Pretty happy with the set, super interesting to dive into the alternate takes etc and nice to have it all in one bundle in really good quality. Also love the newly done mixes of the original album.
snrub

Post by snrub »

That seems scientific and logical, however my ears tell me that the timbre of the drums (especially the cymbals) is not natural. Could there be some other explanation for the 50hz hum?
Tex

Post by Tex »

Has anyone tried to hear if the M.A.L. extractions are really that much better than the free online spectral tools?

The drums separation on "Good Day Sunshine" sounds artifact-y to me or at least less than hi-fi but then that's not a great recording to start with.

As pointed out by LR... I'm baffled that the horns on the GTGYIMYL album mix are in fake stereo while on the outtake they are in real stereo. It's like we are being punked.
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Ants wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:50 pm
Rickenbacker325 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:09 pm Rain is definitely not right….it’s completely unnatural..and Yellow Submarine I think was just slowed down a bit so Ringo could sing it and when played at the proper speed we get the chipmunk effect I’m Only Sleeping doesn’t sound as “off” though and the remix of She Said, She Said is horrible…guitars have vanished… the remix as a whole is fatiguing to listen to..at least to my ears..and this is primarily true for all the Giles remixes for me
As MasterJedi said, there's a 50hz hum in the drums+guitars track of the "Actual Speed" Rain version, so it was recorded at that speed.
The bass was overdubbed at a slower speed though (very close to the released version).
Ringo sounds like he’s playing a piccolo snare…In my opinion it was definitely not recorded that way
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Engonoceras wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:27 pm Has anyone tried to hear if the M.A.L. extractions are really that much better than the free online spectral tools?

The drums separation on "Good Day Sunshine" sounds artifact-y to me or at least less than hi-fi but then that's not a great recording to start with.
Personally I think it is similar to the point of being, erm, exactly the same. MAL according to the guys behind it is based on Spleeter, which they took and rewrote the code for, making it a "hybrid model" like Demucs (which is also a descendent of Spleeter). There are two ways of separating instruments: spectrogram or waveform. The spectrogram method converts the audio into a spectrogram and then uses the machine learning algorithms devised for google image search to analyse the spectrogram. The waveform method works directly upon the audio itself. Spleeter was a spectrogram model, and the old (crappy) original Demucs was a waveform model. The new Demucs combined the best parts of each method into what is called a hybrid model. MAL has done the same thing, and has produced a similar result.

As for the stuff about MAL being trained on Beatles music, well that sounds sort of counterintuitive to me. The whole point of machine learning is to find order in chaos. The more varied examples you give it the better it can differentiate between two things which are almost identical. Limiting the training set to just Beatles music would not work well. Well, I don't think so anyway.

Obviously MAL is a good algorithm but it's being touted by the press as a new invention which is probably pissing off the thousands of coders who have worked on demixing for a decade.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene