Revolver 2022... it's ON!

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
miggynav

Re: Revolver 2022... it's ON!

Post by miggynav »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:39 am It's a bit sad that Revolver leaked isn't it? Kind of like the kids all opening their Christmas presents a week early. I suspect a lot of the people who will be getting their sets over the next few days will be feeling rather flat, already having heard them and read the book a week ago.

Also kind of screws up the Hoffman thread too. Under normal circumstances Friday would have been a day of great excitement. Now it's just gonna be, "Oh I got my set. Did you? The corners are damaged on mine."
True, although when it did leak, I couldn't help myself but to listen to them but I know some people didn't for that reason that you mentioned, This morning, at around 1am, I checked Apple music and all the songs for the SDE are now available but since I already heard them, I just downloaded them to my playlist. But being in the southern hemisphere means we still get to hear them ahead of the rest of the world if there was no leak.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Yeah, it's now Release day and it feels a bit like the grinch stole Christmas. I just hope that none of the people who downloaded it from the leaked torrent are gonna say, "It's too expensive and I have my leaked copy so I'm gonna pass". That'll just make next year's release even more expensive as they try to reclaim lost revenue.

Whoever torrented it was an idiot. It is probably watermarked so can be traced to the person who leaked it. I mean, these things always leak early to a handful of people but I'm not aware of any previous Beatles release ending up on a torrent site before the release day. I can imagine that from now on there will be no more advance copies sent out and reviewers will have to attend a press event to hear it.

It's also, sadly, further cemented Apple's view of devoted Beatles fans as criminals and nutters. So a lose-lose situation for everybody, not just Apple.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
skynet

Post by skynet »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:06 pm Yeah, it's now Release day and it feels a bit like the grinch stole Christmas. I just hope that none of the people who downloaded it from the leaked torrent are gonna say, "It's too expensive and I have my leaked copy so I'm gonna pass". That'll just make next year's release even more expensive as they try to reclaim lost revenue.

Whoever torrented it was an idiot. It is probably watermarked so can be traced to the person who leaked it. I mean, these things always leak early to a handful of people but I'm not aware of any previous Beatles release ending up on a torrent site before the release day. I can imagine that from now on there will be no more advance copies sent out and reviewers will have to attend a press event to hear it.

It's also, sadly, further cemented Apple's view of devoted Beatles fans as criminals and nutters. So a lose-lose situation for everybody, not just Apple.
Couldn't agree more with you on this, this situation, as you mentioned previously, will have serious implications for whoever started this (even if the leaked copy came from a vinyl rip, it is easily traceable to its origin), this will only affect future releases even more... i don't mean to sound sanctimonious but how easily have we become used to steal stuff thinking is normal or without harm ... what a shame
Tex

Post by Tex »

$50 bucks for the whole thing at qobuz.com in 24-bit, 96 khz ;)
MrP

Post by MrP »

I don't think there is any connection between "leak" and future price
every SDE from Sgt Pepper onward was leaked and available for download prior to release date by at least 7 days
leaks didn't have anything to do with cd configuration to match vinyl now
they want to sell vinyl---more money
they are selling you the packaging and presentation

nobody cares about music they care about movies
the powers that be will chase you on movies but not music (except prince)

anyone who says they are not buying it because they got a download of it, wasn't buying it to begin with
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Engonoceras wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:23 pm $50 bucks for the whole thing at qobuz.com in 24-bit, 96 khz ;)
Yeah, that is quite a good deal. And it's real hirez I should think, not like the usb stick. I wonder if they are unlimited too.

I think this is a pretty good set, and although the outtakes sound like they were literally mixed in under an hour, that can actually be a good thing. But the Dr Robert outtake sounds like the whole band is under a matress.

The unused mono mix of GTGYIML is pure GOLD. The take 8 instrumental is nice for the fact that the brass is in stereo (it's in fake stereo on the album mix :roll: ) but it is also slightly ahead of the rest of the instruments. Someone has obviously nudged the brass track slightly to the left in Protools and not realised. After the train wreck that was Eleanor Rigby on the YS Songtrack cd, I'd hoped that this sort of thing was a thing of the past.

Take 5 of AYBCS is also pure gold, with those fantastic harmonies that suddenly come out of nowhere. I literally cried out with joy when these blasted out of my speakers. No one's voices blended like John, Paul and George. They are matchless. I'm confused as to whether the guitar solo is overdubbed because I had always thought it was two separate guitars (as it is in take 2).

When the For No One backing started I thought I was listening to an outtake of Hello Goodbye. Same chord progression.

Rain the fast version the bass obviously dosn't belong there and masterjedi says the bass hum is at 61hz so that proves it was recorded at the slowed-down speed. The slowed down mix has an alternate vocal which makes a lovely mix on its own... but I'll leave that for another time!

The rehearsal for SSSS kicks serious behind and they also are really enjoying themselves. The had their new amps which had GREAT distortion and you can tell they are lapping up the heavy sound they are making. The stereo mix is a car crash though, with the crash cymbal shunted off to the side and the drums lacking any real power.

I can't say I like the Eleanor Rigby outtake. As a musician, the sound of the strings scraping away without vibrato is to me like Freddy Krueger scraping on a chalkboard. Thank God they changed it for the record. But the conversation at the start is very interesting.

Dr Robert sounds like a complete live performance, probably a throwaway song in their eyes but one of the highlights of the album for me. How many decades have I waited to hear the missing section? I don't want to think about that!

Here There And Everywhere is a great improvement on the album, with better clarity and stereo harmonies. If only they hadn't felt compelled to use that gimmicky tom-tom-panned-suddenly-to-one-side effect. But I love the outtake version which corrects the Anthology mix... but I feel real sorry for csnyfan who only a few weeks ago laboured to remove all the extra stuff from the Anthology take!

I think the mono mix sounds pretty good too. I like it better than the 2009 one. And generally the content is far more up my alley than any of the previous sets, for while I like the latter Beatles stuff it's their Tour Years that really do it for me. Can't wait for BFS and AHDN somewhere down the road.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

I hate the thought of waiting four years for A Hard Day's Night.
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:06 pm I just hope that none of the people who downloaded it from the leaked torrent are gonna say, "It's too expensive and I have my leaked copy so I'm gonna pass". That'll just make next year's release even more expensive as they try to reclaim lost revenue.

I downloaded it, and I'm not gonna buy it - not because I have the download (which is an inevitability at some point anyway) but because it's obscenely priced. I will buy the two-CD set, as I always do, but the rest of it, totalling probably one more CD's worth for an extra £100 is an astonishing rip-off in my opinion. I understand people want it, but they are being preyed upon.

I disagree that people not buying it will make next year's more expensive. Basic supply and demand - the more demand there is (ie, the more people who buy it) the higher the price will go. If no-one bought it, its market price would be very small. In that sense we're actually better off going for a rip than the retail product.

You may be right about Universal Music being reluctant to send out advance copies in future, but that's them maximising their revenue. No disprespect meant, but the suggestion that they will need to recover "lost revenue" is a little ridiculous. They have lost precisely nothing and will certainly be in profit from this.
michael_charles

Post by michael_charles »

MrP wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:50 pm I don't think there is any connection between "leak" and future price
every SDE from Sgt Pepper onward was leaked and available for download prior to release date by at least 7 days
leaks didn't have anything to do with cd configuration to match vinyl now
they want to sell vinyl---more money
they are selling you the packaging and presentation

nobody cares about music they care about movies
the powers that be will chase you on movies but not music (except prince)

anyone who says they are not buying it because they got a download of it, wasn't buying it to begin with
Exactly Mr P. spot on. For what it's worth I bought the whole set.
Last edited by michael_charles on Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
beatlbay

Post by beatlbay »

alphabeatles wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:35 pm Been there done that, bring on Rubber Soul!
Oh boy, can't wait to pay $500 for that set. One and a half CDs worth of material spread out over 10 discs! Oh, and a download only version of the mono LP, forget the 5.1 or Atmos. But, we will get a wonderful book with another McCartney intro saying what a great album Rubber Soul is...

(ahh sarcasism.. sorry guys there is no way I can justify this current rip-off)