Revolver 2022... it's ON!

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
powerPC

Re: Revolver 2022... it's ON!

Post by powerPC »

ruedabeat wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:09 pm I think is time for Veech and Magoocus to do a 5.1 Remix out of this new digital Stereo Mixes. :mrgreen: :geek:
Excellent suggestion! Good call ruedabeat 8-)
—Keith
skynet

Post by skynet »

powerPC wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:25 pm
ruedabeat wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:09 pm I think is time for Veech and Magoocus to do a 5.1 Remix out of this new digital Stereo Mixes. :mrgreen: :geek:
Excellent suggestion! Good call ruedabeat 8-)
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

tulirepo wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:58 pm Uhm .. I'd like contest the claim that Sometimes in NYC is John Lennon's worst album. I know, it's widely considered being it. The album wasn't very radio-friendly then and it will never be. For me, Sometimes In New York City is one of his most INTERESTING works. I mean, sharing the tracklist with Yoko in this way for the first time, using a sub-par (yes!) rock'n roll band as a backing group, touching outspoken political and right-on leftist issues ... I do not think John Lennon produced anything that could be called "worst". But I would put both Mind Games and Double Fantasy behind Sometimes In New York City.
It always makes we want to go back and give a non-favorite album a listen when I read that someone likes it. I’ll have to give Sometime a listen once more. It’s been years. That said, Mindgames is on of my favorites.
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

skynet wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:30 pm With due respect to your comments my friend, it does simply not make sense, we know that Giles in fact mixed the album in Dolby Atmos (he posted a picture of the process on his twitter account) then he used that as a baseline for that monstrosity called "spectral Dolby Atmos" for headphones, which is nothing more than playing with delays, echos in the stereo field to make it sound like Dolby Atmos in a set of headphones (Faking the effect), then why not releasing the real DA Mix in the first place?
Personally, I’ve been loving that “monstrosity” called spectral Dolby Atmos for headphones. Abbey Road sounds amazing.
skynet

Post by skynet »

MrMurphMcgee wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:19 pm
skynet wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:30 pm With due respect to your comments my friend, it does simply not make sense, we know that Giles in fact mixed the album in Dolby Atmos (he posted a picture of the process on his twitter account) then he used that as a baseline for that monstrosity called "spectral Dolby Atmos" for headphones, which is nothing more than playing with delays, echos in the stereo field to make it sound like Dolby Atmos in a set of headphones (Faking the effect), then why not releasing the real DA Mix in the first place?
Personally, I’ve been loving that “monstrosity” called spectral Dolby Atmos for headphones. Abbey Road sounds amazing.
you know... not wanted to be disrespectful, but that is the difference when you had not owned Dolby Atmos hardware, and when you are only used to your mobile devices, because if you had in fact had access to Dolby atmos actual hardware, you could be able to tell that the difference is night and day, now i kind of understand the appealing for your generation... it hits me that you maybe too young :) ;) (or maybe i am too old), i will always prefer the real stuff
csnyfan

Post by csnyfan »

skynet wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:37 pm
MrMurphMcgee wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:19 pm
you know... not wanted to be disrespectful, but that is the difference when you had not owned Dolby Atmos hardware, and when you are only used to your mobile devices, because if you had in fact had access to Dolby atmos actual hardware, you could be able to tell that the difference is night and day, now i kind of understand the appealing for your generation... it hits me that you maybe too young :) ;) (or maybe i am too old), i will always prefer the real stuff
Head related transfer functions for generated binaural stereo (that's how Atmos headphones work) are very much real I'm afraid.
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

skynet wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:37 pm you know... not wanted to be disrespectful, but that is the difference when you had not owned Dolby Atmos hardware, and when you are only used to your mobile devices, because if you had in fact had access to Dolby atmos actual hardware, you could be able to tell that the difference is night and day, now i kind of understand the appealing for your generation... it hits me that you maybe too young :) ;) (or maybe i am too old), i will always prefer the real stuff
I have had a 5.1 setup for years but recently broke it down. So I’ve at least heard that with the prior release. I have a real need to downsize and it’s a format that bring me pleasure so no harm done. I’ve heard just about ever iteration of Revolver a dozen times over at this point. From cassette to my 80's UK to the 2014 mono plus a lot of rips. But I need simplicity now.

Also, Revolver was the #1 album the day I was born.
skynet

Post by skynet »

MrMurphMcgee wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:08 pm
skynet wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:37 pm you know... not wanted to be disrespectful, but that is the difference when you had not owned Dolby Atmos hardware, and when you are only used to your mobile devices, because if you had in fact had access to Dolby atmos actual hardware, you could be able to tell that the difference is night and day, now i kind of understand the appealing for your generation... it hits me that you maybe too young :) ;) (or maybe i am too old), i will always prefer the real stuff
I have had a 5.1 setup for years but recently broke it down. So I’ve at least heard that with the prior release. I have a real need to downsize and it’s a format that bring me pleasure so no harm done. I’ve heard just about ever iteration of Revolver a dozen times over at this point. From cassette to my 80's UK to the 2014 mono plus a lot of rips. But I need simplicity now.

Also, Revolver was the #1 album the day I was born.
Point taken and fair assessment (i hope you have no hard feelings for me after my statement), yeah Revolver is number 1 in my book and also was so eagerly expecting the SDE including the DA mix, to play it full blast in all its glory on my system (being honest i am a hardware junkie, now that i can afford it i thought, what a hell i will spoil myself), that is the reason i am so pissed of at this, because to be fair and honest with you, i have never liked Giles stereo mixes, i always thought that all care was placed on the multichannel mixes and he remixed the stereos "to prove something", i like that you guys love the spectral mixes, and understand the commodity, so glad to hear you are enjoying it (not that my opinion matters much actually)... anyway i am just ranting on this already
Golem

Post by Golem »

skynet wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:30 pm
dascottjr wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:35 pm This has probably already been brought up, but I'd say the reason for not having a blu-ray of Revolver is that, while AI separation technology can do wonders for remixing those four-track recordings into stereo, a 5.1 version would feel less natural, and perhaps too gimmicky. Oh, it can be done, and fans have made well-reviewed 5.1's for years when working with only 2-channel stereo. But it would be a bit of an undertaking, especially with a limited amount of (paid) time in which to work on a project. Keeping this in mind, it makes sense that Giles would split the difference by doing an atmos mix independent of the box set.
With due respect to your comments my friend, it does simply not make sense, we know that Giles in fact mixed the album in Dolby Atmos (he posted a picture of the process on his twitter account) then he used that as a baseline for that monstrosity called "spectral Dolby Atmos" for headphones, which is nothing more than playing with delays, echos in the stereo field to make it sound like Dolby Atmos in a set of headphones (Faking the effect), then why not releasing the real DA Mix in the first place?

Also several songs from Revolver had been proveen to benefit from multichannel mixing, at least have a look at the DTS Mixes on Yellow Submarine and Love, they sound outstanding, i wonder what they could sound in the proper DA Mix in a high end audio system, i will never know sadly
I mean there is a real dolby atmos mix tho, listening to a rip of the taxman remix in atmos, it has discrete channels
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

Darth Kybiel wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:26 am No! Remember, THANK SEAN - POB was the first set Yoko handed over for Sean to be in control of the release. When the world says blah to Sean's own music career he takes it out on the John fans by reducing the quality level. Not like he totally sabotaged it, they love to cash in on the fact that they at least have shared more of John's private music than any of the other three Beatles, but he still did not go out of his way to use too much more than whats been already bootlegged, compared with the Imagine set. I would have liked bigger more readable photos of the session tape boxes.
Oh, yes, I did not pay any attention to Sean's effort, so thanks to him, and to you for turning my attention.

Well, the box was exemplary as Golem put it, and as for the book, it was expected it won't be up to the Imagine one, but still it was very good.