Revolver 2022... it's ON!

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Kwai Chang

Re: Revolver 2022... it's ON!

Post by Kwai Chang »

This 2022 mix of Taxman is the first Giles remix that I like. I do hear what Mr. Bump is saying...the tambourine has disappeared as has the cowbell. But I am pretty sure that those were added to compensate for too much bouncing. It was awesome and almost finished but another reduction mix suddenly took the depth away. By then, it was permanent...so for whatever reason, they tried to embellish the dynamic and instead it sounded like cowbell and tambourine. This doesn't sound remixed but it definitely sounds defined and spatial...with no cowbell or tambourine. The instruments all sound natural and complimentary to each other. I can believe that this is what it sounded like before they brought in the illusory percussion. I only wish there had been some clinking coinage added to the intro. I think George's voice sounds very miserly and it should have counted to 19 before the second voice (Lennon) counts in the real start. Congratulations, Giles Martin.
I can hardly wait to hear the rest!
Thank you
KC
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Kwai Chang wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:55 pmI only wish there had been some clinking coinage added to the intro.
Here you go!

hxxps://drive.google.com/file/d/1R6K8hHtD-nADKPlnwRYFsSJgnnPnbuj-/view?usp=sharing
lennonfan

Post by lennonfan »

I used to be extremely sceptical of Atmos until I was given a demonstration by Dolby in a professional studio. It simply blew me away. I listened to several albums I had know by heart for ages and I found the whole experience extremely revelatory. It's costly to achieve the same in your own home (if you don't settle for a compromise in the guise of an Atmos soundbar) but Atmos does manage to create a whole new listening experience.

Fast lucky wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:45 am I find some overal debate here and Steve Hoffman's over mono, stereo, Atmos, holophonic, surround a bit funny ... People seem to enjoy surround a lot and find it the new marvel... I just read the comment over holophonic and 3D which prompts me to give share you this...

Stereo was exactly meant to produce 3D ! I can imagine the treaction of some reading this :shock: :o And I was lucky (of course ;) ) to have the opportunity to live such an experience. I was in a high-end hifi shop buying interconnect cables and the seller made me listen to a record (not Beatles related). During the listening experience, I could prescisely locate the place of the singer, guitarist, bassman, drummer ... Incredible. The seller told me it is very difficult to achieve, because the gear must be excellent quality, the match between components must be met, the loudspeakers must be correctly placed, ... and the quality of the recording must be there too (quality of the mike, placement of the mikes, etc.). The seller said that if the quality is not there, the place of the musicians will at best move during the playback or there won't be any 3D effect in the worst case. He told me it was the goal of stereo : reproduce the performance of a concert. He added, when you go to show, you don't want to be placed among the musicians, you want to watch and listen to the show...

Of course, the Beatles used stereo for another purpose, ultimately creating with their overdubs a colourful layered relief in sound, not really what stereo was meant for. Now, regarding surround, do you want to sit with the musicians or listen to the show ? It is perfect for the movies - you're in the action but for music ?

I am amazed at how few people know how to place their loudspeakers. I don't even mention those who never experienced listening to a hifi system ...

I have to say I still have to listen to an Atmos demonstration, maybe I would be surprised. Of course everyone is entitled to have his own preferences ...
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

alphabeatles wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:46 am
Kwai Chang wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:55 pmI only wish there had been some clinking coinage added to the intro.
Here you go!

hxxps://drive.google.com/file/d/1R6K8hHtD-nADKPlnwRYFsSJgnnPnbuj-/view?usp=sharing
Thank you, alpha beatles!
That was a very nice rendering of what I meant.
The song is perfectly suited for such a gimmick.
And, the album, even more so!
ANYBODY gotta bit of gimmick?
Anybody GOTTA BIT of gimmick?
Anybody gotta GIMMICK?
So, pay the price your final judgement's near
It is taxing!
It's not revenge! It's justice that you fear!
It is REVOLVING
Of the REVOLVER
Of The Revolver
(Clink, clink, clink)
Keep the change!
KC
Fast lucky

Post by Fast lucky »

lennonfan wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:24 am I used to be extremely sceptical of Atmos until I was given a demonstration by Dolby in a professional studio. It simply blew me away. I listened to several albums I had know by heart for ages and I found the whole experience extremely revelatory. It's costly to achieve the same in your own home (if you don't settle for a compromise in the guise of an Atmos soundbar) but Atmos does manage to create a whole new listening experience.
Ok, sounds like it is worth a try. I hope I will have the opportunity to get a demonstration in good listening conditions.
skynet

Post by skynet »

Fast lucky wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:20 pm
lennonfan wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:24 am I used to be extremely sceptical of Atmos until I was given a demonstration by Dolby in a professional studio. It simply blew me away. I listened to several albums I had know by heart for ages and I found the whole experience extremely revelatory. It's costly to achieve the same in your own home (if you don't settle for a compromise in the guise of an Atmos soundbar) but Atmos does manage to create a whole new listening experience.
Ok, sounds like it is worth a try. I hope I will have the opportunity to get a demonstration in good listening conditions.
Try the McIntosh MX180 in one of their demo rooms (is the one i have at home) ... you won't regret it 🙂
Fast lucky

Post by Fast lucky »

McIntosh gear ... Ok, you're VERY serious :) Congratulations ! :) Might be a bit over the top for me ... First challenge is to have a demo ...
skynet

Post by skynet »

Fast lucky wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:43 pm McIntosh gear ... Ok, you're VERY serious :) Congratulations ! :) Might be a bit over the top for me ... First challenge is to have a demo ...
Thanks (would love that my wife thinks the same :D ) ... you know, for me, as exaggerated as it sounds, music saved my life and helped me to keep going, many times through my life, in particular Beatles music, and i promised myself to get to hear their music as best as i can (as well as many other bands i love), is one of my main goals as a person, an I've been doing it progressively (sometimes purchasing used equipment), starting with small systems and growing up from there... now at 50 something i am in a position i get to spend good money on sound gear so by all means i do so, music in the end is the only thing i am going to take with me when i am dead (i know it sound selfish ;) ), so until my ears start failing off i will keep doing it... remember a wise man said once: "when you're dead, You don't take nothing with you but your soul..." ;) (and that is why i love this community so much... thanks to you guys and from the days of BZ i get to hear fantastic and marvelous music, since the days of tapes, vinyl and CDs, I've been amazed in awe and get also to hear some amazing mixes and remixes, that only would've been possible thanks to you guys, and let me tell you this: All the creations that come from this forum shines in my "Beatles" room :), thanks for that)
ryan

Post by ryan »

Just noticing that the Eleanor Rigby demo that we have a fragment of is not on this set. That's unfortunate as this would be the place for it to appear.
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

This week's episode of Fab Forum on SiriusXM featured an interview with Giles by David Fricke. They played And Your Bird Can Sing (First version) – Take 2 and I’m Only Sleeping (Take 2). It’s finally up OnDemand if you have not heard it.