Revolver 2022... it's ON!

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Lord Reith

Revolver 2022... it's ON!

Post by Lord Reith »

What is the consensus about Revolver coming out this year? Was Giles' poo-pooing of the idea just a ruse to put us off the scent? Remember he did the same thing with the White Album, and consequently a lot of people were saying "Pepper was a one-off, there'll be no White Album SE" etc

Or have they really just abandoned the deluxes for now? In their universe does a boring October vanilla bluray of the tv series we all saw six months ago count as this years' big release?

I'm assuming, of course, that there isn't and never was going to be an extended Get Back bluray.
Last edited by Lord Reith on Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
seltaeb

Re: Revolver 2022... on or off?

Post by seltaeb »

Too me, it's just hard to believe that the "Apple/Beatles Estate" would not do Deluxe Editions of "Rubber Soul" & "Revolver." Arguably, they are considered by some to be The Beatles' BEST Albums. But then I fall crashing back to reality and realize that this is how things have always been done...
Haphazardly!
Need Proof?
The latest self-inflicted wound, the "Get Back" DVD/Blue-ray fiasco.
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

Yep, and you know P Jackson figured there'd be a Get Back Blu Ray so they have his longer edit of the film. All the Beatles catalog has been remixed by Giles as he was doing White Album and Abbey Road for possible future release dates. Plowing through and approving of outtakes would be the main task. I guess that Paul thinks touring makes up for no Get Back Blu Ray? LOL!
I heard already that it came down to paying copyright royalties too. The aired version of Get Back kept cover versions short enough to keep the amount of paying on copyrights low. Paying more royalties o a Blu Ray release....
Giles said the problem with presenting all the albums as deluxe box sets is that there is not enough material to make multiple disc sets for every one of them. One idea was to try a 4 disc set of Please Please Me and With The Beatles for 2023/24, which gained no interest. there was also the simple 2 disc sets, one disc the new mix and one disc outtakes, but that idea was shot down in 2017. Giles attempted twice to show that there is enough interesting outtakes for Revolver, he never got a green light on it. They felt most of the better early outtakes were already on Anthology.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Well, was there any justification to begin with?
If nobody remembers, back in 1976, the Rock And Roll Music release actually drew much commentary that reminded the world of stipulations in the Beatles contractual agreements. The bitch was about how the stereotypical theme of the package graphics was cheap and would cast aspersions upon the Beatles' own artistic integrity! This was said to be unnecessary, because part of the contractual wishes of the group had been an agreement that the music would be always retain its artistic quotient via original packaging/contents. I was 16 in 1976. I never saw ANY official documentation to back up the stories...but news was already API(American Press International) based at the time. So, why NO bitching about the 1973 red and blue collections? Well, the evidence since then, certainly hasn't been very conventional, HAS it? Based on the SDE format alone, I am not sure that anyone would believe that I had actually read that blurb in 1976. It doesn't matter now! Look what cheap 'Coca Cola Rock And Roll Music' themes can lead to...is it cheap or just rich? Giles needs to step back and let his father teach him all that he missed. How is that done? First you have to put all the milk back into the bottle/glass. Am I alone in thinking that AI is still an infant learning to walk? This is all just the beginning.
A lot of the milk will be lost.
I just hope we still have lossless files of the ORIGINAL CATALOG by then, correctly tagged of course.
Laugh if you must! It ain't funny!
KC

Giles' father???
seltaeb

Post by seltaeb »

I guess my biggest complaint with the Beatles catalog is that "Revolver" is the WORST Stereo or Mono mix of the bunch. The Stereo mix is unlistenable on headphones and the mono mix is dull sounding.
Kenny Sexton did a great remix where the vocals were centered in the mix and the overall sound was brightened. That mix is what I will listen to till Apple/Estate does a complete "Revolver" remix.
But I afraid it'll be "ashes to ashes, dust to dust" for me by the time Apple/Estate gets around to remixing "Revolver."
sam004

Post by sam004 »

In my humble opinion, I think they continue to milk the Get Back/ Let It Be material the rest of the year with a Blue ray with hopefully
an extended cut and perhaps either a soundtrack release or a physical release of the rooftop concert.

There could be something out around September, as that has become a launch time for them as of late.
I think if anything is going to come out it should come this year as next year looks to be busy with solo projects

We also have a fall anniversary of 60 years since Love Me Do, and not likely but the Star Club tapes.

2023 marks 60 years for PPM and WTB and 50 years BOTR, Mind Games, Ringo and LITNW.
Also the Red and Blue LPs mark 50 years.
FestVideoRoom

Post by FestVideoRoom »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 4:08 am What is the consensus about Revolver coming out this year? Was Giles' poo-pooing of the idea just a ruse to put us off the scent? Remember he did the same thing with the White Album, and consequently a lot of people were saying "Pepper was a one-off, there'll be no White Album SE" etc

Or have they really just abandoned the deluxes for now? In their universe does a boring October vanilla bluray of the tv series we all saw six months ago count as this years' big release?

I'm assuming, of course, that there isn't and never was going to be an extended Get Back bluray.
I'm privy to some inside info on this... not as deeply as, say, Mike Carrera, but deep enough that my sources haven't been wrong in many many years. From what I heard at the last Fest, the original plan was to issue Rubber Soul and Revolver as a two-fer set but it was helpfully pointed out to the powers-that-be that they could make more money issuing them separately. Consequently, we should expect a Revolver SDE next; likely by year's end. Time will tell, of course, but this at least is what was shared with me about 6 weeks ago.
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

sam004 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:38 pm In my humble opinion, I think they continue to milk the Get Back/ Let It Be material the rest of the year with a Blue ray with hopefully
an extended cut and perhaps either a soundtrack release or a physical release of the rooftop concert.
There already was at least a digital release of the rooftop concert. I didn't think there was a physical CD or LP release of it, but I think the other week someone showed off their recent Beatles color vinyl records and had a yellow vinyl of it with the same cover as what was released on Apple/Itunes as the cover. Bootleg, maybe of the Apple digital release, I have no clue but it had liner notes of the Jackson Get Back film on the back that the guy was reading. Can't think of his channel, calls himself Beatle Bob or Beatle Dan.....Sometimes I just turn the volume down and check out the newer color vinyl, picture disc, and bootleg stuff he finds. Where the heck is anyone finding stuff these days? I hate Ebay, it's not as cheap priced as it used to be.
jpgrcat

Post by jpgrcat »

Due to rents & High Taxes, I'm in middle of selling my Box sets

Hopefully, I'll have enough to move, etc

I hate going thru' this...reminds me of 1979 period
Huge Beatles Fan & collector Anything Beatles/Solo related,

which includes NEMS, Apple, Dark Horse, Ring'O, & MPL Labels

Beach Boys/Related, & The Byrds/CSNY/Related..& many other acts
dascottjr

Post by dascottjr »

We may still get the Ultimate "Some Time in New York City" box this year (though the official link teasing it seems to have been replaced by a general info page about the LP). So, if "Revolver" Deluxe gets put off, I'm certain my wallet will thank me!