Revolver 2022... it's ON!

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
zaval80

Re: Revolver 2022... it's ON!

Post by zaval80 »

tulirepo wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:58 pm Uhm .. I'd like contest the claim that Sometimes in NYC is John Lennon's worst album. I know, it's widely considered being it. The album wasn't very radio-friendly then and it will never be. For me, Sometimes In New York City is one of his most INTERESTING works. I mean, sharing the tracklist with Yoko in this way for the first time, using a sub-par (yes!) rock'n roll band as a backing group, touching outspoken political and right-on leftist issues ... I do not think John Lennon produced anything that could be called "worst".
Yes and yes. It even pre-dates The Clash' Sandinista, a similar exercise in diversity.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

I wonder of the spectral atmos mix is akin to the early 80's gimmick known as holophonics. Roger Waters had The Final Cut and Pros & Cons mixed in holophonics, which was a stereo mix which seemed to allow for 3D staging of instruments and sounds. It worked quite nicely, actually. But in the end it was just a gimmick. Surround sound blew it away.

I understand and appreciate that a lot of music is taken in these days through ear-buds and headphones. My personal preference is a decent home sound system.
Golem

Post by Golem »

I guess we'll see, seems like Atmos has a lot of money behind it, and is kinda already becoming standard. But it definitely poses a bit of a problem as it stands now in terms of archiving it (when we don't have the blu ray source), we can make rips of it, but as far as I know the 5.1 rips we do of it aren't really 100% accurate since atmos uses objects not channels. Hopefully that will change with qobuz adding atmos soon

Plus is does kinda annoy me that atmos just adds one more mix that needs to be worried about, as I think its a different mix from the dedicated 5.1 mix. In terms of being a completionist and listening/having everything, surround was already a massive headache, atmos just makes that worse.

At least its making surround a bit more commonplace now, not just a bonus feature to shove in a big boxset anymore
Fast lucky

Post by Fast lucky »

I find some overal debate here and Steve Hoffman's over mono, stereo, Atmos, holophonic, surround a bit funny ... People seem to enjoy surround a lot and find it the new marvel... I just read the comment over holophonic and 3D which prompts me to give share you this...

Stereo was exactly meant to produce 3D ! I can imagine the treaction of some reading this :shock: :o And I was lucky (of course ;) ) to have the opportunity to live such an experience. I was in a high-end hifi shop buying interconnect cables and the seller made me listen to a record (not Beatles related). During the listening experience, I could prescisely locate the place of the singer, guitarist, bassman, drummer ... Incredible. The seller told me it is very difficult to achieve, because the gear must be excellent quality, the match between components must be met, the loudspeakers must be correctly placed, ... and the quality of the recording must be there too (quality of the mike, placement of the mikes, etc.). The seller said that if the quality is not there, the place of the musicians will at best move during the playback or there won't be any 3D effect in the worst case. He told me it was the goal of stereo : reproduce the performance of a concert. He added, when you go to show, you don't want to be placed among the musicians, you want to watch and listen to the show...

Of course, the Beatles used stereo for another purpose, ultimately creating with their overdubs a colourful layered relief in sound, not really what stereo was meant for. Now, regarding surround, do you want to sit with the musicians or listen to the show ? It is perfect for the movies - you're in the action but for music ?

I am amazed at how few people know how to place their loudspeakers. I don't even mention those who never experienced listening to a hifi system ...

I have to say I still have to listen to an Atmos demonstration, maybe I would be surprised. Of course everyone is entitled to have his own preferences ...
Yellowsubmarine

Post by Yellowsubmarine »

zaval80 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:27 am
tulirepo wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:58 pm Uhm .. I'd like contest the claim that Sometimes in NYC is John Lennon's worst album. I know, it's widely considered being it. The album wasn't very radio-friendly then and it will never be. For me, Sometimes In New York City is one of his most INTERESTING works. I mean, sharing the tracklist with Yoko in this way for the first time, using a sub-par (yes!) rock'n roll band as a backing group, touching outspoken political and right-on leftist issues ... I do not think John Lennon produced anything that could be called "worst".
Yes and yes. It even pre-dates The Clash' Sandinista, a similar exercise in diversity.
Yeah, I definitely agree that SINYC is the worst John's album.
simond9X

Post by simond9X »

SeaofGreen

Post by SeaofGreen »

Ziggy C wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:06 am I wonder of the spectral atmos mix is akin to the early 80's gimmick known as holophonics. Roger Waters had The Final Cut and Pros & Cons mixed in holophonics, which was a stereo mix which seemed to allow for 3D staging of instruments and sounds. It worked quite nicely, actually. But in the end it was just a gimmick. Surround sound blew it away.

I understand and appreciate that a lot of music is taken in these days through ear-buds and headphones. My personal preference is a decent home sound system.
It’s both! Atmos is a new surround format that’s essentially built around scalability. Lots of channels for those with home theater setups and virtual-surround spatialization for stereo speakers and headphones. It’s a shame none of these services that offer Atmos explain it well since it leads to people thinking it’s just some filter and not a pretty cool leap in audio tech.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

Golem wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:06 pmagreed
18-discs devoted to SINYC? Yo!!!

For me, this album (skirting saying the worst, again...) is not up there in my playlist. However, the other stuff that you've included in this set makes it more than worthwhile for a completist such as myself. Your inclusion of the One-To-One Benefit Concerts makes all kinds of sense. The underrated Elephants Memory. I look forward to what you do with the other material. The thing that turns me off about SINYC is the topical nature of it. The stories are dated. I get that the album was meant to be taken as a kind of a ripped-from-the-headlines piece. And for that, it gets high marks for taking that kind of risk. Its quite the departure. But at the same time it deliberately loses relevance quickly. Its no Imagine. But it wasn't meant to be another Imagine.

To be fair, Sometime gets about the same amount of play in my house as does Rock And Roll.

Also, to be fair, I appreciate and respect that the music of The Beatles, collectively and apart, touches people in different ways; holds different meanings for people; brings back memories in so many different ways. So when someone describes to me how an album affects them, how its shone a light on their lives, that's awesome. It is often enough for me to give another listen so I can try to feel that, too.

Thanks for taking the time to assemble your All Together Project. I look forward to future entries.
Golem

Post by Golem »

Ziggy C wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:43 pm
Golem wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:06 pmagreed
18-discs devoted to SINYC? Yo!!!

For me, this album (skirting saying the worst, again...) is not up there in my playlist. However, the other stuff that you've included in this set makes it more than worthwhile for a completist such as myself. Your inclusion of the One-To-One Benefit Concerts makes all kinds of sense. The underrated Elephants Memory. I look forward to what you do with the other material. The thing that turns me off about SINYC is the topical nature of it. The stories are dated. I get that the album was meant to be taken as a kind of a ripped-from-the-headlines piece. And for that, it gets high marks for taking that kind of risk. Its quite the departure. But at the same time it deliberately loses relevance quickly. Its no Imagine. But it wasn't meant to be another Imagine.

To be fair, Sometime gets about the same amount of play in my house as does Rock And Roll.

Also, to be fair, I appreciate and respect that the music of The Beatles, collectively and apart, touches people in different ways; holds different meanings for people; brings back memories in so many different ways. So when someone describes to me how an album affects them, how its shone a light on their lives, that's awesome. It is often enough for me to give another listen so I can try to feel that, too.

Thanks for taking the time to assemble your All Together Project. I look forward to future entries.
thanks! I've been working on Mind Games - Rock and Roll recently, but I've been so busy its hard to find the time, I'm hoping to get it done soon. The One to One stuff was def a hard choice, it takes up something like 7 discs on the set, so after I'm done I may go back and actually separate it out into its own set (seeing as the next few albums will get nowhere near 18 discs!), the dates on this stuff is really the hardest choice I have to make.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

Golem wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:29 pm ... the dates on this stuff is really the hardest choice I have to make.
It seems you're on the right track by selecting the date initially recorded vs the date of final overdub or mix. The hard choice is establishing the convention. Then there's sticking to it all the way through. I suppose it's also difficult sometimes determining the date when something was initially recorded. Great job!!