Revolver 2022... it's ON!

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
tulirepo

Re: Revolver 2022... it's ON!

Post by tulirepo »

Ziggy C wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:58 pm It's telling that the set we are looking forward to, Sometime In NYC, also happens to be his worst album. But because his team puts out top-notch packages, we know they will make even the crappiest album worth buying.
Uhm .. I'd like contest the claim that Sometimes in NYC is John Lennon's worst album. I know, it's widely considered being it. The album wasn't very radio-friendly then and it will never be. For me, Sometimes In New York City is one of his most INTERESTING works. I mean, sharing the tracklist with Yoko in this way for the first time, using a sub-par (yes!) rock'n roll band as a backing group, touching outspoken political and right-on leftist issues ... I do not think John Lennon produced anything that could be called "worst". But I would put both Mind Games and Double Fantasy behind Sometimes In New York City.
Golem

Post by Golem »

agreed
Tex

Post by Tex »

The CDs are skimpy because they wanted the CD and vinyl (I assume there is one) to match content.
skynet

Post by skynet »

Ants wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:20 pm

I guess they have acetates (like the "Happiness Is A Warm Gun In Your Hand" one), videos and something else.

No, I don't think they have Carnival Of Light or Helter Skelter Take 3, etc.
That "inner circle" level for such things must be a monster level of inner circle (in which the likes of McCartney, et al. belong), not for common mortals like us :) LOL
Venny

Post by Venny »

Mixerrog wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:51 pm The official announcement was just posted in the Beatles YouTube channel at

October 28th is the release date & they have very short samples of a few songs including "Got To Get You Into My Life" with the split horns stereo that was only partial on the Anthology DVD set!

The complete new 2022 Taxman mix is at It is rather narrow stereo IMO.

Rog
So far after seeing the content of this release it looks solid! Probs the best deluxe set since Sgt Pepper and White Album in terms of content imo. I do have issues and gripes tho. For one no 5.1 atmos mix and no Blu-Ray. Very odd choice to skip out on this one and only do CDs and vinyl. Also the price. It seems to be getting steeper and steeper with each release. A 5 CD set for over 100 dollars? Yeah no thanks. I would pay maybe 60 for that. Overall decent looking release (and hopefully better than the LIB set), but not interested at this price.
georgefromhenley

Post by georgefromhenley »

A pity they left out for the sake of completeness the 3 US mixes from Y&T - they have the early version of TNK from the UK release why not the US mixe?

The price is very high.

Any body noticed that they darkened the white in the eyes on the cover.... WTF
dascottjr

Post by dascottjr »

This has probably already been brought up, but I'd say the reason for not having a blu-ray of Revolver is that, while AI separation technology can do wonders for remixing those four-track recordings into stereo, a 5.1 version would feel less natural, and perhaps too gimmicky. Oh, it can be done, and fans have made well-reviewed 5.1's for years when working with only 2-channel stereo. But it would be a bit of an undertaking, especially with a limited amount of (paid) time in which to work on a project. Keeping this in mind, it makes sense that Giles would split the difference by doing an atmos mix independent of the box set.
skynet

Post by skynet »

dascottjr wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:35 pm This has probably already been brought up, but I'd say the reason for not having a blu-ray of Revolver is that, while AI separation technology can do wonders for remixing those four-track recordings into stereo, a 5.1 version would feel less natural, and perhaps too gimmicky. Oh, it can be done, and fans have made well-reviewed 5.1's for years when working with only 2-channel stereo. But it would be a bit of an undertaking, especially with a limited amount of (paid) time in which to work on a project. Keeping this in mind, it makes sense that Giles would split the difference by doing an atmos mix independent of the box set.
With due respect to your comments my friend, it does simply not make sense, we know that Giles in fact mixed the album in Dolby Atmos (he posted a picture of the process on his twitter account) then he used that as a baseline for that monstrosity called "spectral Dolby Atmos" for headphones, which is nothing more than playing with delays, echos in the stereo field to make it sound like Dolby Atmos in a set of headphones (Faking the effect), then why not releasing the real DA Mix in the first place?

Also several songs from Revolver had been proveen to benefit from multichannel mixing, at least have a look at the DTS Mixes on Yellow Submarine and Love, they sound outstanding, i wonder what they could sound in the proper DA Mix in a high end audio system, i will never know sadly
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

Garrett wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:38 am I hate to be a contrarian, but I'm not a fan of this mix at all. Sure, the placement of the instruments are more comfortable, but it just doesn't sound as bright and clear as the original stereo, like a towel has been put on the speakers. Not to mention obvious isolation artifacts where the guitar solo is. The song sounds neutered and muddy.
I'm with you on this. I'm not much impressed either. Like you say, the placing of the tracks is probably better but the sound quality? Maybe it's my aging ears but has the tambourine in the right channel almost disappeared?
ruedabeat

Post by ruedabeat »

dascottjr wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:35 pm This has probably already been brought up, but I'd say the reason for not having a blu-ray of Revolver is that, while AI separation technology can do wonders for remixing those four-track recordings into stereo, a 5.1 version would feel less natural, and perhaps too gimmicky. Oh, it can be done, and fans have made well-reviewed 5.1's for years when working with only 2-channel stereo. But it would be a bit of an undertaking, especially with a limited amount of (paid) time in which to work on a project. Keeping this in mind, it makes sense that Giles would split the difference by doing an atmos mix independent of the box set.
I think is time for Veech and Magoocus to do a 5.1 Remix out of this new digital Stereo Mixes. :mrgreen: :geek: