Revolver 2022... it's ON!

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Lord Reith

Re: Revolver 2022... it's ON!

Post by Lord Reith »

MrMurphMcgee wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:25 am I think about the percentage of my income I had available for things like this set and I’m not bothered by the price. We've gotten a ton of outtakes since 2017 at a decent price. It would boggle my mind in 1985.
Yeah, the thing is we've somehow become accustomed to luxury and so we don't see it as anything special anymore. In the 80s, if you got one decent bootleg lp come out in a year, you were happy, and if you got three or four good ones over 12 months (as we did for a while there) you were cockahoop. The first luxury Beatles set i saw was "Artifacts" in the early 90s and then the Get back Journals and the Great Dane box. I never bought any of those because I just didn't have that much money at one time. But I did somehow buy the three Yellow Dog ultimate collection boxes, and that cost me so much money it decidedly spoilt the fun of listeneing to them.

Now, most fans don't really bat an eyelid at buying a 6-disc set with an expensive book and (till recently) bluray. If it isn't perfect we get all upset (including me), but if you think back we would all have walked naked through the fires of hell to get this stuff back in the day. I would happily have paid 30 smackers for a boot cd with just the alternate take of And Your Bird Can Sing.

It's a funny thing, but when the bootleggers ripped me off I blamed myself. But when commercial labels rip us off by producing shoddy lps with warping and surface noise, I definitely blame them. They are supposed to be the good guys after all. At least, that's what they always told us.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

I bought all the early Yellow Dogs as they came out, £15 each give or take, the Great Dane box, all 3 Yellow Dog 'Ultimate Collection' boxes and all 3 Strawberry Records 'Mythology' boxes but that was because I was still living at my parents' house so could afford them.

I spent £20 on 'It Was Twenty Years Ago' on vinyl around 1988 JUST for the 1 track - the 1st appearance of the acetate of 'A Day in the Life'. The rest of the record was useless.
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

MarkRJones1970 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:24 am I spent £20 on 'It Was Twenty Years Ago' on vinyl around 1988 JUST for the 1 track - the 1st appearance of the acetate of 'A Day in the Life'. The rest of the record was useless.
The Los Angeles version of the situation was very similar for my frugal tendencies and the relief was titled 'Foretaste'.
The urgency was the same single track(A Day In The Life) and the remainder was the entire Pepper album with some horrendous book thumping percussive embellishment. The disc was pressed on beautiful clear vinyl(as I recall) and the record jacket featured the Michael Cooper outtake photo from the HMV UK Import box set. All of this was to be had for a mere $10.00. I had already grabbed a copy of It Was Twenty Years Ago Today that you described. It had unforgivable graphic arts but was fairly pain free to listen to. To this day I have never attempted another listen to Foretaste. It was the doldrums. In a way, I'm glad to have experienced such famine. It was a different kind of humility. It allows me to be completely grateful for this forum! Things have gotten better than anything I could have foreseen.
Thank you, WilliamShears!!!
KC
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:53 am It's a funny thing, but when the bootleggers ripped me off I blamed myself. But when commercial labels rip us off by producing shoddy lps with warping and surface noise, I definitely blame them. They are supposed to be the good guys after all. At least, that's what they always told us.
Vinyl is made to inflict pain to its buyer unless he has the unlimited funds. I bought a book on the Swell Maps, and it had a 7" with rare tracks enclosed. My copy has a deep, awful-looking scratch across the first track into the second. I have a feeling that, while record companies (at least the big ones) employed some QC personnel in the '60s who checked the mass production, after that nobody cared, and less so nowadays.
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

Kwai Chang wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:37 am To this day I have never attempted another listen to Foretaste.
They should've called it Foreskin :lol: