Official CD release of "Once Upon A Long Ago (Extended Version)"

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
mojofilter

Official CD release of "Once Upon A Long Ago (Extended Version)"

Post by mojofilter »

There's a 4CD set that has come out at the end of January of this year called "NOW That's What I Call 12" 80s Remixed." The last track on Disc 4 is the Extended Version of "Once Upon A Long Ago" that is its CD debut from digital source, not transferred from vinyl by a fan. That track alone is worth the price of admission. And that price is currently $17.77 on Amazon.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
Mrbeatleg

Re: Official CD release of "Once Upon A Long Ago (Extended Version)"

Post by Mrbeatleg »

There are reviews that these songs are from poorly transferred from vinyl

I believe it's from this 12" maxi vinyl length is 6:06
https://www.discogs.com/release/4428586 ... A-Long-Ago

R-4428586-1364617515-8035.jpg
R-4428586-1364617515-8035.jpg (90.59 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

There are no aural or visual signs of noise reduction, clicks or surface noise on this recording.
Feromount

Post by Feromount »

It's muddy and empty; the version in the Ultimate Archive Collection sounds clearer. It cuts off at 20khz on the UAC, but it still sounds good, so I don't care in this case.

Lots of great tracks in NTWIC 12” 80s Remixed and NTWIC 12" 80s Extended though.
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

It must be nice to be so right about everything that you can just trash an engineer's findings. You do you.
astronaut

Post by astronaut »

I don't know if this is the place to ask, but what extended versions of Beatles songs or solo artists exist apart from Once Upon?

are there any fan made versions?
FestVideoRoom

Post by FestVideoRoom »

Ignore the insanity. I will be happy to confirm that NONE of the tracks on this CD or any of the others in the series seem to be vinyl sourced at all; the discs sound wonderful.

And that's an official Shorten Reportin' thumbs up if that still carries any weight... :)
dk2600

Post by dk2600 »

The entire McCartney catalogue at that time was remastered in 2007. Now in 2021 Once Upon A Long Ago had a new remaster compared to the 2007 version.

The master is done only 7 numbers away from the McCIII Find My Way by Paul and Beck according to the Universal database.

The masters of all the other tracks on this set come as original recordcompany masters and some updated with a new master like Elton John, Laura Brannigan, Jellybean, Olivia Newton-John, Eurythmics, Chris Rea, Peter Schilling and these masters are all by wellknown recordcompanies and in their usual masternumbering system. So no dubs.
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

astronaut wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:12 am I don't know if this is the place to ask, but what extended versions of Beatles songs or solo artists exist apart from Once Upon?

are there any fan made versions?
There is an extended version of George's "Got My Mind Set On You" and a mix of "When We Was Fab" that has the notation "Reverse Ending". The rest belong to Paul. There are extended versions of:

"Seaside Woman" German mix - goes until the band stops playing, rather than fading out. Not extended, but longer than every other country's issue.
"Goodnight Tonight" 12" single is the unedited version. The single was excerpted from it.
"Secret Friend" runs 10:32
"Say Say Say" has an extended vocal version and an extended instrumental version.
"No More Lonely Nights (Playout Version)" has an extended version, two different Special Dance Mixes, the Mole Mix, the Warren Sanford Extended Edit, and the JSM/Alessi Bros Mix.
"Spies Like Us" has a Party Mix and Alternative Mix - known to his friends as "Tom" (remixed by Art Of Noise). This has a variation on an AON CD.
"My Carnival" has a Party Mix.
"Press" has an extended mix by Hugh Padgham, and a Bevans & Forward dub mix.
"It's Not True" has a longer 12" remix.
"Seaside Woman [1986 remix]" has an extended mix.
"B-Side To Seaside [1986 remix]" has an extended mix.
"Pretty Little Head" has an extended remix.
"Tough On A Tightrope" has an extended remix.
"Talk More Talk" has an extended remix.
"Once Upon A Long Ago" has a Long Version and an Extended Version.
"Good Sign" runs 6:54 and there is also a Groove Mix that runs 7:24.
"Ou Est Le Soleil" has an extended mix, an instrumental mix, a Tub Dub mix, and a Disconet mix.
"This One" has a Club Lovejoys Mix.
"Party Party" has a Bruce Forest Club Mix
"Hope Of Deliverance" has two tracks just called "Deliverance" that are dance versions of a different tune with samples of the vocals from "Hope Of.." called the Steve Anderson Club Mix and the Steve Anderson Dub Mix.
"From A Lover To A Friend" has a second remix by David Kahne that adds close to two minutes to the other versions.

All of the above are available right now on "The Paul McCartney Singles Collection" for Saturday (today) and possibly Sunday, at links in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1279&start=60 before the files are deleted.

There are numerous other remixes of Paul's songs by various DJs and remixers. A partial list:

Silly Love Songs (Wings vs Loop Da Loop Main Mix)
Coming Up (Linus Loves Mix)
Let 'Em In (Different Gear remix)
Goodnight Tonight (Loop Da Loop Club Mix)
Silly Love Songs (Artful Dodger Mix)
Let 'Em In (Special Remix)
Coming Up (Zak's Mix)
Temporary Secretary (Chris Mix)
Silly Love Songs (Chris Mix)
Goodnight Tonight (Chris Mix)
With A Little Luck (Chris Mix)
Listen To What The Man Said (Chris Mix)

The above are on a bootleg called "Macca Mixes" on Yellow Cat YC 071.

Let 'Em In (Different Gear remix #2)
Goodnight Tonight (Manhattan Disco Lovers Remix)
Wonderful Christmastime (Esanto mix)
Coming Up (Lost Vegas Summer Funk Mix)

There are also 12" mixes by The Fireman. These are collected on Daev1d Marx' "Ultimate Archive Collection."

There are even more of these that I have in one folder or another. If anyone would like to list mixes they know of, please feel free.
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

Thanks a lot!
Yves