Revolution 9. How many variations?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Kwai Chang

Re: Revolution 9. How many variations?

Post by Kwai Chang »

Whatever Revolution 9 really is...
I really want to believe that Lennon was trying to make a relevant comment about:
**music in general
**the future of music
**the absolute lack of newness in rigid classical theory
**the artistic definition of music in an artless industry
**plagiarism
**the function of music in society
**Sound, silence, sub-conscious, mood subversion
**OTHER time signatures
**Ambient influence on imagined reality
**Rhythm, meter, beat, volume, and nuance
**Peter Sellers is Brian Eno
or any other concept that could suggest the need for musical non-conformity. Otherwise, call the record More Repetition!
Revolution 9 seems to be John Lennon pointing his finger at the Infinite 'musical' possibilities that are waiting to be explored.
To discuss the finger...would be to miss the original point of the piece.
Number nine, number nine, number nine...
Life: The Tape Loop!
Thanks for reading this.
KC
afabman

Post by afabman »

Yo ho ho - well I laughed. It's like the old joke 'How do we know that the British hate the Germans. If they are on fire they won't give them the emergency services phone number.' I can only apologise! PS for non UK readers the number is 999.
millerTEK

Post by millerTEK »

I gained a better understanding and new respect for Revolution 9 after listening to these:

My opinion and conclusions of course -
Most always knew from the Mark Lewisohn book the scoop about the making of this track, John recording it laying on the floor, starts out as what became Revolution 1, but where the released version fades out after around 4min, it continued for another 6min with John's yelling and vocal effects to the rhythm. Then I think, sometime soon after, he recorded backup vocals of George and Paul (?) singing a 'mama-dada' rhythmic chorus during the extended part, and then took the tape away.

Days later he returned with that recording with all kinds of sound effects, reverb, and other items placed during the extended jam. I believe he wanted his song Revolution to have the song in the beginning and then musically create for the remaining 6 minutes a sonic 'revolution' if that makes sense. But as we know, the first part of the song was released and fades out. You can tell the same vocal was used hearing the vocals during the fade.

John was offended, and decided to make a new recording - by first using the vocals and sound effects used during the cut jam, and then on a later date adding the 'number 9', piano, and more effects to create Revolution 9. No rhythm or association with Revolution 1 is shown.

So when you get to hear these 2 items below - you get a better understanding of what John's intentions were and (in my opinion) might wish they released the entire track with the extended jam and effects (Take 20) instead of releasing Rev 9 as it's own track in the first place. From what I read, lots of people just didn't get it and felt Rev 9 was awkward and out of place on the album and probably would skip the needle ahead unless they were very high. Imagine if the White Album was released with the full Revolution instead...I think it would have been kool and make more sense...but there was a lot of animosity between them during that time.

So listen to these - and draw your own conclusions....

68-05.30 - Revolution 1 (Take 18)(John-long jam) (available on the White Album 50th Box)
68-06.04 - Revolution 1 (Take 20)(mama dada & sound effects) - approx 10 min. (hunt around here, it's around)
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

millerTEK wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:22 am I gained a better understanding and new respect for Revolution 9 after listening to these:

My opinion and conclusions of course -
Most always knew from the Mark Lewisohn book the scoop about the making of this track, John recording it laying on the floor, starts out as what became Revolution 1, but where the released version fades out after around 4min, it continued for another 6min with John's yelling and vocal effects to the rhythm. Then I think, sometime soon after, he recorded backup vocals of George and Paul (?) singing a 'mama-dada' rhythmic chorus during the extended part, and then took the tape away.

Days later he returned with that recording with all kinds of sound effects, reverb, and other items placed during the extended jam. I believe he wanted his song Revolution to have the song in the beginning and then musically create for the remaining 6 minutes a sonic 'revolution' if that makes sense. But as we know, the first part of the song was released and fades out. You can tell the same vocal was used hearing the vocals during the fade.

John was offended, and decided to make a new recording - by first using the vocals and sound effects used during the cut jam, and then on a later date adding the 'number 9', piano, and more effects to create Revolution 9. No rhythm or association with Revolution 1 is shown.

So when you get to hear these 2 items below - you get a better understanding of what John's intentions were and (in my opinion) might wish they released the entire track with the extended jam and effects (Take 20) instead of releasing Rev 9 as it's own track in the first place. From what I read, lots of people just didn't get it and felt Rev 9 was awkward and out of place on the album and probably would skip the needle ahead unless they were very high. Imagine if the White Album was released with the full Revolution instead...I think it would have been kool and make more sense...but there was a lot of animosity between them during that time.
"ALL is number!!!"(Pythagoras)
Thank you, ever so kindly...Steve!
That is sheer bloody poetry!
AND...
your comment ain't bad, either! As I read it, I could hear what I have envisioned all along loud and clear in my mind. The 'full' Revolution(1+9[10???]) is brilliant. I never considered it but it might have given the album a much different feel if the concept had been more obvious. Perhaps Lennon thought that it was too obvious. I myself always though he was way short on overlap because there is only the "Alright, Awwwwlright, Right, Right, Riggggghhhhtt" that makes one realize that 1(takes 18/20) is 9. So, I like the full Revolution on LP idea and it might allow for another 2 minute song to be included. But, if the objective is to show that 1 and 9 as separate pieces are still the same piece, then 1 needs to be extended until it's "Right, Right". However, the overlap needs to be as minimal as possible to induce the greatest effect. Until that happens, it is not possible to distinguish any common lineage. When it does happen, then we will see that Can You Take Me Back is sublime! Good Night should still close the album but only after it crawls out of the '9'...Now it's time("Number nine") Now it's time("Number nine") Now it's time("Number nine") to say good night...and use it as a sound effect (fade up/down) until the revolution is gone and we hear the clean coda of Ringo whispering "Good night, everyone, everywhere"...and George Martin score fades into the spooling turbines of a passenger jet landing at Heathrow!
KC
Gringo557

Post by Gringo557 »

I believe Carnival of Light uses some parts of Revolution 9.
Davenicks

Post by Davenicks »

Gringo557 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:16 pm I believe Carnival of Light uses some parts of Revolution 9.
First time I've ever heard that one. Since "Carnival of Light" was played in public in January, 1967 and the first documented recording on what became "Revolution 9" was on May 30, 1968, please explain why you believe that. Thanks.

Dave in Nashville
Tex

Post by Tex »

Rev 9 should have been the last track because it's the nightmare after Goodnight.
Garrod Lofthouse

Post by Garrod Lofthouse »

Gringo557 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:16 pm I believe Carnival of Light uses some parts of Revolution 9.
Some people believe Revolution 9 and Liverpool Sound Collage might have incorporated parts of Carnival of Light (but that might be a case of imagination coupled with wishful thinking working their magic).
Tex

Post by Tex »

"Believe" is all it is at this point. There is zero evidence since we still have not heard Carnival.
Gringo557

Post by Gringo557 »

Engonoceras wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:12 pm "Believe" is all it is at this point. There is zero evidence since we still have not heard Carnival.
There is a bootleg version of it. I'll post it if anyone is interested . . .