Revolution 9. How many variations?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
JPM7756

Revolution 9. How many variations?

Post by JPM7756 »

I was interested to know how many different variations of Revolution 9 there is. I know of the stereo, mono & the acetate.
MarkRJones1970

Re: Revolution 9. How many variations?

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

That's it as far as I know. Anything else is an after the fact manipulation.
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
bobzilla

Post by bobzilla »

From what I understand Revolution 9 was mixed somewhat on the fly. John compiled sound effects on 6,10, and 11 of June 1968. Then on 20 June he did 2 "takes" and created a master take. On 21 June he did some overdubs, and 2 remixes. Then on 25 June he edited remix 2 into the final stereo mix. The mono mix was just a foldown of the stereo mix, but he did a mono mix on 20 August and another on 26 August.

So theoretically, there are 7 possible versions in the vaults. But yes, the only available versions are the ones you listed. There is also the US reel to reel version that is edited down to 6:39. Here it is...

hxxps://we.tl/t-3SGu21XxaJ
JPM7756

Post by JPM7756 »

Thank you. I didn't have that edit. I think one of the Sapcor vinyls has a backwards version too but that would be considered manipulation rather than another version I think.
RunoutGroove

Post by RunoutGroove »

I know it's a manipulation, but Kenny Saxton's remix is really very good. I remember Mojo (the magazine) printing the lyrics to it. It made me sit down with headphones on and pick out even more 'spoken words' I'm sure Lennon stuck in an in-joke with a repeated phrase that sounded like it was shouted in an empty warehouse. it goes "Shhhh................it... (uncomprehensible)"
dumbchops

Post by dumbchops »

I don't have the technology to check it out but what about the "surround sound" mix on the 2018 SDE? Was it remixed? What is the story?
My full name is Uncle Capt. "Skipper" Dumbchops and I seem to have misplaced my electric pretzel sharpener.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

How many?
Not enough...
The Beatles could have played it cool with this. It didn't need to be on the album. A promo single should have been issued that was 55 seconds long. That would really be one ninth of the track. There would be nine different versions of this. all versions would be identical in appearance. No artist would be listed. The label could be an Apple or blank. The only text on the one sided disc would be a number 9. So 9 different versions of the 'same' single. Promo only. The ONLY connection(Revolution) to The Beatles would be the faint sounds of Revolution 1 trickling through in a couple of locations. To play the complete track would require the complete set of nine discs and editing skills. Which might be available by the time anyone realizes they are talking about nine different tracks. The beginning...
KC

Here is 5.1 Rev 9 FLAC hxxps://we.tl/t-eXHZIwjUSC
zappaf78

Post by zappaf78 »

Yeah, I had to get the '45. Btw, there are slight different mixes/echo in the 5.1 mix.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Nine?
harrythebannister

Post by harrythebannister »

There’s a tenth German version.....Revolution No.
Last edited by harrythebannister on Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.