Let It Be in the CD Era... What would you do better/different?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Kusaywa

Let It Be in the CD Era... What would you do better/different?

Post by Kusaywa »

The track listing on the original Let It Be was limited as to what could fit on each side of the album. That, and the material available.
Just curious, without going crazy and keeping it to 1 CD (Album), what would you do better/different?

Personally, I would have kept the Studio tracks together and then the Rooftop stuff together and only add 1 song (Don't Let Me Down, Rooftop #1).

Two Of Us
Across The Universe
I Me Mine
Dig It (maybe add a bigger sampling of it)
Let It Be
For You Blue
Maggie Mae
The Long And Winding Road
Don't Let Me Down
I Got A Feeling
One After 909
Dig A Pony
Get Back

This still only amounts to around 40 minutes!!!
Kwai Chang

Re: Let It Be in the CD Era... What would you do better/different?

Post by Kwai Chang »

Fire Allen Klein...
The Beatles already knew what to do with the tapes.
Perhaps they even learned something from a whole month of chaos. They learned that directing music is like directing film. If they were truly happy with their own abilities as movie directors, then gET bACK to where you once belonged. I forget which Beatle thought that Magical Mystery Tour should be entered at Cannes. But, the White Album sessions sure unraveled any disciplines they had developed up to that point. BUT, the double album was not seen as the incomprehensible tribute to inefficiency that it actually was. Somehow the B-grade stuff seemed to justify inclusion and so for the sake of argument, it served to warrant the Get Back concept as the next logical step. If the same good fortune had befallen January 1969...Get Back might have taken on even bigger ambitions. BUT, we know there was no luck that month(Billy Preston wasn't luck...he was a MIRACLE). And in the end, the Beatles snapped back into consciousness and they had Glyn Johns confirm the ruling four separate times. So, The Beatles BEST decisions about the music had already occurred and the resulting treatment was implemented until early 1970. I mean, I could imagine the opposite being the case, where they thought that Get Back should be a triple album. Ever since I saw the Hare Krishna devotee at the beginning PJ's Get Back, I have had suspicions of ugliness(read contraband) played a huge role in the events we have seen. So, Allen Klein IS effective but for the wrong reasons. It really is about profit and not at all about art...or sentimentality, or getting back. Has ANY other album wasted as much money as Get Back spent before ANYTHING was accomplished? What about that oldies album? They couldn't even play the old stuff that they knew. No oldies were recorded as complete tunes...they were barely warm-ups. When the 1st of February, 1969 arrived, I know they were relieved. Maybe they hadn't yet considered the fate of the sessions, but something tells me that the contraband had depleted itself. The tapes were in a cardboard box, and like the MMT, NOBODY suggested that the effort be entered at 'Cannes'. If only there was a festival called Cannes-Not!
The music was not of the standards that they had created...and, Allen Klein needed to justify his own existence.
What's my function?
You're a Beatle...you make music that people love.
Dig it?
KC