LIB 50th Box set question

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
csnyfan

Re: LIB 50th Box set question

Post by csnyfan »

MrMurphMcgee wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:29 pm I can't imagine any scenario where the noise would be added intentionally. I just think they used a shitty source.
They did, as such a shitty source never existed before and they used a circulating transfer of a better sounding source. It follows that they deliberately added the noise, on purpose or by mistake, but they did it.
thewarpedvinyljunkie

Post by thewarpedvinyljunkie »

csnyfan wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:16 am
MrMurphMcgee wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:29 pm I can't imagine any scenario where the noise would be added intentionally.
It follows that they deliberately added the noise, on purpose or by mistake, but they did it.
Average fan (or below average; at least not a fanatic like most of us) at home with the new purchase:

"Wow...I'm amazed that this thing exists at all! They must have resurrected it from something that was almost completely lost. Listen to the noise they couldn't even get rid of! This is such an amazing box, that they'd even put this on there. I'm going to recommend it to my friends, because of how rare this must be."

Who understands marketing geniuses, anyway?
The Warped Vinyl Junkie

"He never wore his shoes; we all knew he was dead."
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

It looks like this box was produced in a hurry. I've got my physical copy (made in EU) yesterday. Was immediately worried when the first pages with numeration in the book were pp. 10-11. This made sense only if the front cover was page 1, and nobody numbers the pages in books in such weird way. I started to browse among the downloaded stuff for confirmation, and found at least 2 files for the book. Thankfully, it looks like my copy is proper, but this paging thing is clearly some mistake of compilers - probably some pages in the beginning were taken out of the final version, and then they forgot to renumber.

But wait, there was something else! File "Let It Be Book 50A 2021.zip" has slightly different pics of The Beatles in the preceding pages (pp.6-7). Check out George and Ringo ones. This file must be some working version of the book. I haven't compared the rest, though.

And of course, we all know now about the 1969 mix debacle.
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

skynet wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:37 pm I do not seem to find photos of the tape box in "recording" sessions, maybe is in chronicle, of course there is the description on the mix session and the recording itself

Page 197 shows a tape box from Olympic Studios…Wednesday, 25 March 1970

skynet

Post by skynet »

Rickenbacker325 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:20 am

Yeah, i agree on that with you, i thought it was mentioned the tape box for the reel on the "I Me Mine" Session, not the Master Tape reel for the album ;)
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

skynet wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:26 pm

Yeah, i agree on that with you, i thought it was mentioned the tape box for the reel on the "I Me Mine" Session, not the Master Tape reel for the album ;)

If this tape still exists it would have been a much better source for sure
skynet

Post by skynet »

Rickenbacker325 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:53 pm
skynet wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:26 pm

If this tape still exists it would have been a much better source for sure
Completely agree with you Sr. it would had been much better than the "version" given to us in the box set, i wonder why they do such things (Apple, Giles or whoever decides that)

Regards
Tex

Post by Tex »

Regarding I Me Mine.... Maybe Yoko donated John's cassette dub of his bootleg LP. :lol:

Apple would have thought that was the best version since it's from John's archive.

I'm kidding.... sorta.

Its baffling they would dirty up a bootleg.
Le petit prince

Post by Le petit prince »

To me, apart from all the superdeluxe edition's technical flaws discussed here and elsewhere, the worst sin they committed when they compiled the album is to leave off Let It Be 26.75.

That's the Let It Be take from the so-called 'WCBN acetate', which is AFAIK only available in 'wobbly stereo' from the broadcast (several bootlegs), in fake stereo (Yellow Dog's Celluloid Rock) and in mono (from the Nagras I suppose). I would have expected them to include it and it would have been a clear reason for me to buy the set (well, to be honest, I bravely bought it anyway, whilst choking back my anger, but if the persons responsible at Apple continue to compile future releases with the same négligence they’ve shown here, it has been the last one I’ve purchased). Leaving that take off the set and choosing Let It Be 26.40 instead is IMHO an odd choice.

Just my two cents, of course …