LIB 50th Box set question

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Vee-Jay

LIB 50th Box set question

Post by Vee-Jay »

Hey, Folks -

I'm just now getting around to listening to the LIB 50th Deluxe set (yes, I'm a little sssssllllllooooowwwwww :lol: ) and I have a question.

Is mine the only copy that has horrible digitizing noises all throughout the Disc 5 "EP" version of "I Me Mine"? I haven't read through the book yet (OK, I skimmed it ;) ), but I figured someone here probably has a quick and dirty answer so I don't have to dig a pony to find out. :roll:

Thanks in advance!
Rickenbacker325

Re: LIB 50th Box set question

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

No…we were all graced with that noisy recording… Was very surprised they used it like that…the master tape exists somewhere if I’m not mistaken… isn’t there a photo of the Olympic Studio tape box in the Lewisohn book??
Track06

Post by Track06 »

IIRC this grinding noise was added intentionally. Should be burried somewhere in one of early threads about the box set, possibly even before release date since this track was available as preview.

I've taken it from the bootleg and matched it to the 2021 release:
hxxps://www.transferxl.com/download/08FMccpkztNF0
Last edited by Track06 on Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skynet

Post by skynet »

I do not seem to find photos of the tape box in "recording" sessions, maybe is in chronicle, of course there is the description on the mix session and the recording itself

gonchichi

Post by gonchichi »

Vee-Jay wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:10 pm Hey, Folks -

I'm just now getting around to listening to the LIB 50th Deluxe set (yes, I'm a little sssssllllllooooowwwwww :lol: ) and I have a question.

Is mine the only copy that has horrible digitizing noises all throughout the Disc 5 "EP" version of "I Me Mine"? I haven't read through the book yet (OK, I skimmed it ;) ), but I figured someone here probably has a quick and dirty answer so I don't have to dig a pony to find out. :roll:

Thanks in advance!
You can still get Let It Be... Fixed by KennySaxton at viewtopic.php?p=26426#p26426.
Rickenbacker325 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:51 am No…we were all graced with that noisy recording… Was very surprised they used it like that…the master tape exists somewhere if I’m not mistaken… isn’t there a photo of the Olympic Studio tape box in the Lewisohn book??
I can't hear such noise in I Me Mine of my 24bit 96kHz digital download version of LIB (SD). Is the noise limited to the CD version? I hope my ears aren't too aged...
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

I can't imagine any scenario where the noise would be added intentionally. I just think they used a shitty source.
Track06

Post by Track06 »

MrMurphMcgee wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:29 pm I can't imagine any scenario where the noise would be added intentionally. I just think they used a shitty source.
I cant either, but 'they' or someone messed up Penny Lane promo and Goodbye demo too, certainly to annoy the socks and sandals brigade :lol:
Around this page the issue was discussed in September:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1230&p=20664#p20664
Vee-Jay

Post by Vee-Jay »

Track06 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:42 am IIRC this grinding noise was added intentionally. Should be burried somewhere in one of early threads about the box set, possibly even before release date since this track was available as preview.

I've taken it from the bootleg and matched it to the 2021 release:
hxxps://www.transferxl.com/download/08FMccpkztNF0
Sorry for the delay in my reply, Track06. Thank you so much for providing this alternative to the really awful sounding "official" version! :shock:

I appreciate everyone's feedback on this topic!
gonchichi

Post by gonchichi »

gonchichi wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:55 pm
Vee-Jay wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:10 pm Hey, Folks -

Thanks in advance!
You can still get Let It Be... Fixed by KennySaxton at viewtopic.php?p=26426#p26426.
Rickenbacker325 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:51 am No…we were all graced with that noisy recording… Was very surprised they used it like that…the master tape exists somewhere if I’m not mistaken… isn’t there a photo of the Olympic Studio tape box in the Lewisohn book??
I can't hear such noise in I Me Mine of my 24bit 96kHz digital download version of LIB (SD). Is the noise limited to the CD version? I hope my ears aren't too aged...
I asked my son to check the noise, and he said he could certainly hear the noise starting around 12 seconds from the beginning. I guess my ears have aged considerably. But there's a good point to that. I can enjoy the music without distraction from such noise. :D
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

My feeling has always been that 95% of the budget and studio time/research/etc is allocated to the remixed album disc. The other discs are just throwaways they chuck in to get some extra sales from the more dedicated fans. The outtakes are often poorly mixed or derived from bad sources, and just generally exhibit a lack of care and thoroughness. I think all of this stuff is just done in a rush after the main album has been remixed.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene