Think there'll be a Please Please Me (60th Anniversary)?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
hallucalation

Re: Think there'll be a Please Please Me (60th Anniversary)?

Post by hallucalation »

Megazeti wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:25 pm Has much changed since John Wynn's Lifting Latches (2005) as its mostly based on John Barrett's audit and other sources?
Nothing changed excerpt for June 1962 EMI Session (and that tape is in huge lawsuit problem)

Cavern live tape will never be issued due to it's atrocious sound quality.

BTW, for those who want 1963 outtakes officially there was already Itunes download in 2013.
Megazeti

Post by Megazeti »

Oh I've heard worse officially elsewhere but it all depends if the attitudes that consumer can tolerate some grubby sources and they've been made aware of it when their obtaining it will change.

With the Hamburg's isn't their still some legal argy-bargy about them?
hallucalation

Post by hallucalation »

Megazeti wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:49 am Oh I've heard worse officially elsewhere but it all depends if the attitudes that consumer can tolerate some grubby sources and they've been made aware of it when their obtaining it will change.

With the Hamburg's isn't their still some legal argy-bargy about them?
The quality of Cavern tape is "truly abysmal. On that basis, there is no point getting excited about it. I hope to hear it again one day but am not holding my breath (as we English say)." (from e-mail of Lewisohn to me).
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Despite PJ's interest in the Star Club tapes, I can't see Apple ever releasing any of that very earliest stuff ie: Woolton fete, People And places, Cavern acetate, Cavern set, Star Club, first EMI session, Decca, 62 BBC tracks etc. It just doesn't align with their ethos. Too rough, too rowdy, too unlike The Beatles brand.

I have nothing to base it on, but I think they may have felt embarassed in 1995 when Anthology 1 came out, and a lot of people were making fun of or expressing disapointment in the ropey early material. I can remember cringing with embarassment as I stood in line in a major department store just after the release and they had a big Anthology promotion, but what was coming over the speakers was The Sheikh Of Araby. Although it may be interesting to us, todays web reviewers would tear to pieces any release that included this kind of material. I sometimes wish The Beatles were not still huge, and we could have loads of interesting releases without this huge spotlight being shone upon them.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

It took them about 50 years to let out a trickle of session material (I'm counting starting from the Sgt. box here, not from the overall projects like BBC and Anthology), obviously they need some more to come up with an archive release like that :lol:
Albert Grove

Post by Albert Grove »

Megazeti wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:49 am With the Hamburg's isn't their still some legal argy-bargy about them?
What happened to the tapes after Allan Williams sold them to Paul Murphy of Buk Records?
Kusaywa

Post by Kusaywa »

I don't know, I think RalseiDeltarune did a pretty good job here.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2627&hilit=please+deluxe
And I got a feeling there might be some other stuff left out.
Would you include One After 909? From Me To You/Thank You Girl?
Also heard they gave Hold Me Tight a go but it didn't end up on the PPM Album?
So is there enough out there for those that never heard these (and other) out-takes?
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

I always wanted a White Album with an R.I.A.A. GOLD RECORD AWARD medallion on the cover. I don't think such heresy was ever committed.
The Beatles catalog of recorded music is the greatest revenue generator the industry has ever known. And, that's NOT because of Anniversary releases.
It's not because of REMIXES. It's not because of outtakes. Or, Anthologies...or, reunions, box sets, books, or films. The Beatles catalog reigns supreme without any of those things. 'Anniversary' treatments are really gentrification. So, will the SDEs carry the catalog forward for 50 more years? I wouldn't care if the four SDEs were discontinued. Otherwise the catalog is going to look like a row of refurbished urban dwellings with modern rental fees. It would be better if the catalog was re-introduced in a modern version of Audio 5(see Audio 5 Sgt Pepper 1983). The atmos and surround mixes may be explored at some point, but not until the catalog sounds as good as it can...like Ultra Rare Tracks Vol 1 & Vol 2.
However, I'm sure Giles already mixed it for atmos. Good God!
KC
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Albert Grove wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:18 pm
Megazeti wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:49 am With the Hamburg's isn't their still some legal argy-bargy about them?
What happened to the tapes after Allan Williams sold them to Paul Murphy of Buk Records?
They were given to Larry Grossberg who still has the tape. He has tried to auction it twice but got no takers because it is now unplayable. However he has a cd copy from somewhere and George Harrison gave Apple a copy he had made in about 1973, which is fantastic quality. So Apple could easily put this out if they wanted. They won't.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Gringo557

Post by Gringo557 »

Peter Jackson's mixing technology could be applied to the Hamburg tape to bring up the vocals a bit. It's an amazing tape and my vote for most fantastic amateur tape recording of the century.