Think there'll be a Please Please Me (60th Anniversary)?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Kusaywa

Post by Kusaywa »

Is there enough out there for any worthwhile Multi-Disc/LP set?
Thoughts?
millerTEK

Re: Think there'll be a Please Please Me (60th Anniversary)?

Post by millerTEK »

my opinion -

it;s very possible...but let's take a look at the session tapes that have been released on boots.

Like Giles MArtin has said - the early albums were recorded on different recorders. 2 and 4 track I think? Therefore we are limited in what tracks still exist and the ability to make new mixes is limited because there are fewer channels to manipulate that contain single recordings like ONLY vocals, backup vocals, drums, guitar1, bass and guitar 2. George Martin MIXED DOWN anything to accommodate the 2 and 4 track limitations.

Later albums like Rubber Soul and Revolver - you still did not have Sgt Pepper technology in which each track and overdub still existed, so all of the overdubs and other discrete channels probably no longer exist as they were recorded and then mixdowns were made.

I don;t know : ) We know the 2009 remasters were Giles best attempts at remastering those earlier albums (and I think they sound good!), but yes - a 60th anniversary box could include more session tapes. BUT - are they any good and have more stuff to contribute and add on to the already bootlegged sessions that have been available for years (seventeen, hard days nite, help, there's a place, misery, shes a woman, etc).

I would be interested to see what they do! I would love it if they would just open up the vaults and release all of those session reels - but you see that requires cleanup, structuring, and MONEY MONEY MONEY to invest in it and ensure it would be worth it.

steve
MrP

Post by MrP »

My guess would be no
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

No, a 70th maybe.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
miggynav

Post by miggynav »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:52 am No, a 70th maybe.
Just waiting for all the first generation fans to croak!
hallucalation

Post by hallucalation »

Hopefully NO. Don't need Giles's crappy extractions remixes and outtakes everyone already have for umpteeth time on bootlegs. Bring on 1964-1966 stuff.
Kusaywa

Post by Kusaywa »

I guess those of us that have access to bootlegs are lucky to have heard most of the outtakes but maybe there's many people who have not?
And like anything else, if you're a Beatles fan, you'll want it anyway.
I'm thinking there might be enough to go with a 2-3 disc/LP set.
Maybe one (or two) Stereo and Mono, one outtakes.
As far as a book, doubt many photos were taken during the sessions.
So maybe they can start a new trend of having a more affordable deluxe edition?
Kusaywa

Post by Kusaywa »

Oh, and from 1963 to 2009 (46 Years) if you wanted to hear an "Official" release of Please Please Me in Stereo, you were listening to Love Me Do & P.S. I Love You in Fake Stereo. Let's put them back on the Stereo release where they belong!!!
Megazeti

Post by Megazeti »

Hah, remember when in The Beatles Recording Sessions George Martin said he didn't create the original 63 Stereo mixes for the fans to examine it.
hallucalation

Post by hallucalation »

Kusaywa wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:24 pm I guess those of us that have access to bootlegs are lucky to have heard most of the outtakes but maybe there's many people who have not?
And like anything else, if you're a Beatles fan, you'll want it anyway.
I'm thinking there might be enough to go with a 2-3 disc/LP set.
Maybe one (or two) Stereo and Mono, one outtakes.
As far as a book, doubt many photos were taken during the sessions.
So maybe they can start a new trend of having a more affordable deluxe edition?
Nothing can stop those people to hear those outtakes literally everywhere - from downloading bootlegs to just stream them on youtube. Contrary to (say) Revolver outtakes you won't hear everywhere but only read descriptions in Lewisohn's book.
And no, there's barely any material for 2 discs. And those would only run up to 40 minutes at most.
It would only make sense to pair with With The Beatles (which have even more underwhelming session content) and do 1963 set.

Bring on unbootlegged stuff.