The Full Zappa/Lennon/Ono perfromance will be released

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
zappaf78

The Full Zappa/Lennon/Ono perfromance will be released

Post by zappaf78 »

For those who are interested, the Zappa family are releasing a box set of concerts from 1971, which includes the whole Lennon/Ono performance (which will also be released in LP format).
Zappa had plans to release this historical encore in its entirety after mixing it in 1971, but shelved it after John and Yoko released their own encore mixes on Side 4 of June 1972’s Sometime in New York City. Zappa eventually released his version of the encore as part of October 1992’s Compact Disc, Playground Psychotics.

After being awarded the rights to his back catalogue in the early 1980s, Zappa mulled other plans for releasing the encore, but upon inspection of the returned Fillmore East masters, it was discovered the Lennon encore tape was missing from its master tape box. In 2021 following a request via Universal, the Lennon Estate kindly provided the Zappa Trust and UMe with a high-resolution transfer of the multi-track safety reel (which FZ had made for them in 1971), thus ensuring that, for the first time in 50 years, the full encore performance could be heard, remixed, in its entirety.
Full info here:
https://www.zappa.com/news/zappas-legen ... mmemorated
seltaeb

Re: The Full Zappa/Lennon/Ono perfromance will be released

Post by seltaeb »

Oh Boy! Goody Goody
I have the video of this... Yoko's performance just Kills It! An Audio and visual treat for sure.
dascottjr

Post by dascottjr »

I wonder how an upcoming Zappa release of this concert will affect the planned Some Time in NYC deluxe reissue....
beatlbay

Post by beatlbay »

dascottjr wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:54 am I wonder how an upcoming Zappa release of this concert will affect the planned Some Time in NYC deluxe reissue....
Who cares? Let the Zappas have it. Leaves more disc space for outtakes, demos, One To One rehearsals, etc.
applebonkerz

Post by applebonkerz »

So, I don't understand -- will this actually include something else (performance-wise) besides what was already on the Playground Psychotics release, or just another "remix"?