Get Back on Blu-ray + DVD

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
seltaeb

Re: Get Back on Blu-ray + DVD

Post by seltaeb »

No, that's not what I mean by inferior. The way Apple/Beatles packaged "8 Days A Week" + "Get Back" are inferior to what they should/could have been. You are correct, the Video/Audio quality are excellent, and you won't be disappointed. I just don't think I'll watch it that much, think the last time you watched "Anthology" all way through and that is a far better way to spend 8 hours of your time.

I think what Lord Reith said rings true...

"If the bluray release of Eight Whoopees A Minute is anything to go by, this may be it. Four collectors cards. :(
I hope to God I'm wrong, but this is Apple we're talking about here.
Regarding Let It Be, I am even less optimistic. The idea was that it would be bundled with the PJ doco, but it's not here. Would they really issue it as a standalone disc?"

"Okay, for some reason I thought it was supposed to be part of the GB bluray. But "plans" to issue LIB have been around for literally 30 years now. I fear it's just going to stay sitting on the shelf in the "oh, we'll get around to that one day, when all the fans are dead" category. :roll:"
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

The trouble with Apple is that they have a major disconnect with their audience.

Other labels and acts cultivate the fanbase, consulting them and aiming their product at the most loyal devotees. EMI/Apple for decades basically ignored the hardcore fans and targeted all their product at the average baby boomer, and it was a strategy that worked in a commercial sense. With Anthology came the idea that they could broaden their appeal to more fanatical fans, but 25 years worth of animosity and persecution towards those people who had been forced to buy bootlegs simply because they wanted to hear some more of their favourite band's music wasn't easily put aside.

Even now they still describe us as "the socks and sandals brigade" and the "crazy fans" as if it wasn't us and us alone who are buying these Super Deluxe sets. Does the average Joe Public with a bunch of greatest hits cds buy the SD editions? No, of course not. He buys the single disc edition. It is we that buy all the expensive stuff, and for that we are treated like the poor relation.

It would be interesting to see some sales figures, and whether the total revenue from all the vinyl and cd flavours issued for each rereleased album exceeds that of what comes from sales and streams of the single discs. My guess is that it does by quite some margin.

I think PJ was pretty smart in that he saw the writing on the wall and made the three episodes as long as he practically could. 8 hours is pretty amazing, and I'm not complaining by any means. But it would have been nice if they could have stuck at least a few extras on the bluray, like the unmolested studio performance without the closing credits.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Fun 4 None

Post by Fun 4 None »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:00 am The trouble with Apple is that they have a major disconnect with their audience.

Other labels and acts cultivate the fanbase, consulting them and aiming their product at the most loyal devotees. EMI/Apple for decades basically ignored the hardcore fans and targeted all their product at the average baby boomer, and it was a strategy that worked in a commercial sense. With Anthology came the idea that they could broaden their appeal to more fanatical fans, but 25 years worth of animosity and persecution towards those people who had been forced to buy bootlegs simply because they wanted to hear some more of their favourite band's music wasn't easily put aside.

Even now they still describe us as "the socks and sandals brigade" and the "crazy fans" as if it wasn't us and us alone who are buying these Super Deluxe sets. Does the average Joe Public with a bunch of greatest hits cds buy the SD editions? No, of course not. He buys the single disc edition. It is we that buy all the expensive stuff, and for that we are treated like the poor relation.

It would be interesting to see some sales figures, and whether the total revenue from all the vinyl and cd flavours issued for each rereleased album exceeds that of what comes from sales and streams of the single discs. My guess is that it does by quite some margin.

I think PJ was pretty smart in that he saw the writing on the wall and made the three episodes as long as he practically could. 8 hours is pretty amazing, and I'm not complaining by any means. But it would have been nice if they could have stuck at least a few extras on the bluray, like the unmolested studio performance without the closing credits.
This kind of neglect happens more often than people think. The Rock and Roll Circus footage sat in a box for 25 years, the Toronto Rock Revival footage was neglected for years until the 2022 project, the Harlem Cultural Festival footage was mostly never officially released for 50 years, the footage for Jimi Hendrix's "See My Music Talking" and The Doors' "Feast of Friends" are like 80% unreleased. Oh and I forgot SOFA, they've never bothered to officially release the full Ed Sullivan episodes. The fact Apple agreed to let 9 hours of Get Back footage be released is nothing short of a miracle.
greyratfromBZ

Post by greyratfromBZ »

They do need to do "something" to set this release apart.
MrP

Post by MrP »

why?

is see no reason they must put any extras on it at this time
in a way they put all the extras on it when it went from theatrical release to series

i remember a prior post about Disney financial cut not being there for any extras
i would disagree
if disney footed the bill on anything used they will have a recovery from it's use/release
i am sure disney will be in the credits on the imax rooftop even if it has scenes not in the series

a number of acts that release addition footage or material or contact to "cultivate the fanbase" is not needed to be done with the Beatles they have a solid noe disappearing fanbase that repopulates which all but 2 maybe 3 other bands have (Led Zeppelin, Grateful Dead (maybe Metallica but that remains to be seen).

This current fanbase is not the end all for The Beatles they need to retain stuff to release for the 2030-2040-2050 fanbase, they care about the current fans but they are ding good bussiness caring about the future fans also
greyratfromBZ wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:07 pm They do need to do "something" to set this release apart.
Computer Gary

Post by Computer Gary »

Fun 4 None wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:40 pmthey've never bothered to officially release the full Ed Sullivan episodes.
Yes they have...

Grandfather: I must see Paulie!
Cop: Go home, then, and see him on the telly!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

We are very lucky we got Peter Jackson to do this. I think with anyone else, Apple would have said "keep it under 2 hours". But because of his illustrious reputation, no-one was going to presume to tell him what to do. And he was smart enough to put in at least fragments of all the songs he knew the fans would want to see.
sam004

Post by sam004 »

I am trying to remain optimistic, I am frustrated like the rest. But I'd like to hope that Peter Jackson has been right about enough
things so far to maybe get to get people to listen to him, maybe.

I find this rooftop release in theaters a good sign. I don't think any of us were expecting this this soon.
I seen a few different mentions at either 60 or 90 min. 90, would be nice with the complete 30 and 31 material
that would gives about an hour. Then again it could be a rehash for people with out Disney +. or the premier version

In Imax on the big screen, in full theater sound. If this gets well received (ie. cash) then maybe we get a soundtrack LP...,
then maybe the Let It Be Film... . If PJ spent 4 yrs on this, how much did this cost to make ?
There best return on their investment is to keep milking the material.

Giles has seem to indicate there are no new SDE boxes planned as of yet.

I find it interesting the PJ never suggested any of this new theater in any of his podcasts/interviews.
He did suggest making a series out of the material of perhaps 1hr/day.
skynet

Post by skynet »

billylentz wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:45 pm No extras?

2.0... Stereo... I wander what that atmos mix will sound like... A lot of echo, I´m guessing.
your guess is wrong, i got that mix in the Disney+ Broadcast, it is actually nicely done, due to all the ambience that the soundstage in Twickenham provides but also in the apple studio, and is particularly excellent through all the rooftop concert, loved the Dolby Atmos Mix
Fun 4 None

Post by Fun 4 None »

Computer Gary wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:32 am
Fun 4 None wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:40 pmthey've never bothered to officially release the full Ed Sullivan episodes.
Yes they have...

That's only a few episodes.