Get Back on Blu-ray + DVD

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
greyratfromBZ

Re: Get Back on Blu-ray + DVD

Post by greyratfromBZ »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:53 am It's sad to think some of those oldies have no footage. That's the part that interests me. Overall I find their own songs from that period to be forgettable aside from Let It Be and Long And Winding Road.
These LIB songs match up nicely on my old home brew compilations with songs from the White Album. I always put them together with the WA songs because they had the same raw feel (for you blue, dig a pony, two of us, 909, Don't let me down, I've got a feeling) they really fit well along side (back in the USSR, glass onion, So tired, yer blues, etc) Very loose and rocking, mumbling on the outros. I love them. The Get Back TV special helped highlight for me why these songs work together - with many of these songs coming right on the heels of the White Album. Which i guess i sorta knew (uh LIB was 1970 and WA 1968 - so too years apart, right? wrong - lol) but not just how close on the heels they were.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

greyratfromBZ wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:42 pmLIB was 1970 and WA 1968 - so too years apart, right?
WA was released on 11/22/68; just over a month later came the LIB sessions in 1/69, so it was even closer!
beatlesondvd

Post by beatlesondvd »

greyratfromBZ wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:42 pm I've got a feeling
How could I forget I've Got a Feeling? it's one of my all-time favourite songs!
Venny

Post by Venny »

Yellowsubmarine wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:07 pm Coming in February 2022.

Special Packaging:
Rigid Slipcase
3-disc Softpack
4 Collector Cards

Audio:
English Dolby Atmos
English Stereo PCM
English AD 2.0 Dolby Digital

Run Time: Approx. 458 minutes

Thanks for the info, Roger!

http://webgrafikk.com/blog/news/get-bac ... IWNnhvu0fs
Man, this Blu-Ray release is the definition of barebones. No extras? No mono mix? No commentary track? Hell, they could have at least done remastered promo videos and promo video outtakes on the third disc since they zoomed them out for the credits. Or have a cut of the Rooftop concert without added commentary from the spectators. As barebones as Magical Mystery Tour's Blu-Ray was at least it had some neat outtakes. I can somewhat excuse no Let It Be being an extra disc, but just having the bare minimum of what was on Disney+ is kinda a waste of money. It's defeats the purpose of even buying a movie on Blu-Ray when it has no upsides over what we already have aside from maybe higher 1080p bitrates.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

The fact that there is no commentary track is actually encouraging. Quite often commentaries are saved for bells-and-whistles versions. If there had been a commentary with PJ included (and let's face it, he loves to talk and we love him for it) then I would be much more inclined to conclude that this all we are getting.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Venny

Post by Venny »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:28 am The fact that there is no commentary track is actually encouraging. Quite often commentaries are saved for bells-and-whistles versions. If there had been a commentary with PJ included (and let's face it, he loves to talk and we love him for it) then I would be much more inclined to conclude that this all we are getting.
That's true. Having no commentary track just seems off. Maybe later in 2022/23 we will get a Collector's Edition or something with more, but simply releasing a Blu-Ray like this is kinda terrible. Even bargain bin Blu-Rays have more extras than this. I bought a Blu-Ray for Spider-Man 2 for 5 dollars and it included 2 cuts of the film and a bunch of extras
Fun 4 None

Post by Fun 4 None »

Someone should try editing a "restored" version of the Jan 31st segment. The Long and Winding Road promo was remastered in full HD for 1+. In addition the Let it Be and Two of Us promos are available in "acceptable" quality from Anthology and VH1 respectively.
seltaeb

Post by seltaeb »

I'm inclined to believe, to quote Lord Reith... "This Is All We're Getting."

Oh Yeah, the "Let It Be" Movie should have been an extra on the Blu-Ray for the 50th Anniversary Box Set. I'm sorry, that just makes too much sense. After all, we are talking about Apple Records.
beatlbay

Post by beatlbay »

We will get a Super Deluxe video set one year after the 50th anniversary of the Disney airing. It will be streamed through the infra-red wifi chip implanted in our brains by Microsoft. Can't wait!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

We're really flying blind with this one. There's just no way of knowing what will happen. On one hand, we've got PJ saying that he extended the tv series to 8 hours because Disney execs told him that no-one buys extended editions any more. Indeed, it has been 20 years since PJ issued his extended cuts of the LOTR trilogy, and physical media sales have plummeted since then. So might they really just not bother? One would assume that Joe Public would have little interest in a bells and whistles version, so we are left with the question "are there sufficient Beatles nerds left in 2022 to make such a release commercially viable?" It costs a lot of money to release physical media, promote it and distribute it. Disney/Apple might not want to chance on something with potentially quite a slim profit margin.

On the other hand, we could assume that this vanilla set is specially for the anti-streamers and to foil the opportunistic pirates. And that they are beavering away on a ten-disc version and keeping sthum about it in case it kills sales of this version. The only trouble is, I feel like I'm kidding myself when i say that. If we've learnt one thing over the years, it's that Apple's decisions are nonsensical and bear no relation to what the fans want. The Christmas flexis box set was a good example: basically something only a tiny subset of a subset wanted, while the rest of us were clamouring for Shea on bluray. So it would be no surprise to me whatsoever if they just said, "Oh that's enough of that, let's move onto a limited vinyl re-pressing of A Collection Of Beatles Oldies".

As usual, I hope I am wrong. But the longer it drags on, the increasingly less likely it is that we'll get anything else, even Let It Be.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene