The Beatles: Get Back: The Rooftop Concert

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
sam004

Re: The Beatles: Get Back: The Rooftop Concert

Post by sam004 »

My 2 cents.
The things that could make this interesting, within the proposed time limits.
The full rooftop concert, without the cutaways. In IMAX. And the Jan 31 material.

This has to be something we haven't already seen on D+, to make it worthwhile.

Kind of funny PJ has made no mention in the countless interviews he has given.
Gredel21

Post by Gredel21 »

Hi All

Imax special showing is limited to the US and UK only not for the rest of the world
Unfortunately

Thanks
Greg
Wogew

Post by Wogew »

Gredel21 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:34 am Hi All

Imax special showing is limited to the US and UK only not for the rest of the world
Unfortunately

Thanks
Greg
Only the premiere. IMAX theatres around the world will screen the film on Feb 9 and 10.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Thinking about this some more, I reckon it will not have the interviews. But it may have the split screen.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
bri286

Post by bri286 »

Apparently, the IMAX prrsentation of the rooftop was a straight edit from the original PJ film, with interviews and split screen (but remixed sound for IMAX) - sounds like a missed opportunity, and i'm glad I saved my £40 ($54) per ticket!
fabwill

Post by fabwill »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:29 pm Thinking about this some more, I reckon it will not have the interviews. But it may have the split screen.
Was lucky enough to see it at a sold out London BFI IMAX yesterday. It had both the split screens and the interviews, and it was probably the most astonishing thing I've seen at a cinema since I saw Star Wars aged 7. The combination of both stellar visuals and an utterly incredible sound was fabulous. The second Paul revs up his bass, and then Ringo starts drumming, you realise the amps are all cranked up to 11. It is physically loud in a way that hits you, like seeing a band live. This is not the same experience as watching it at home.

It isn't (I think) exactly the same as the series footage - the split screens are sometimes 3 in a row in a way that might fill a 21:9 screen, sometimes 2x2 in a way that fills a 4:3 screen and sometimes 3 arranged 1 in 4:3 with 2 screens one on top of the other to the left or right (you'll appreciate I didn't have a ruler out so forgive me if the ratios are wrong). The latter 2 versions in particular filled the whole IMAX screen. Because there is so much going on when you have split screens, it's a complete feast for the eyes - you could watch it 3-4 times and spot new things each time. Kevin getting seriously into the first take of Get Back, doorman Jimmy getting a little teary eyed when he finally makes it to the rooftop - both of these were new to me.

I have a suspicion that the interviews (which frankly, I love) were only over the released tracks, which makes me wonder if there is some kind of copyright issue - maybe only UMG can release the uninterrupted music?

Before the film, Peter Jackson did a superb hour long Q&A. Information that I'm not sure we had before:
- In the last few years they interviewed loads of involved people on film - on his ipad he played 5 seconds of an interview with PC Ray Dagg on the rooftop. The idea was to get as full a picture of goings on as possible, and presumably he had one eye on a deluxe box set.
- He mentioned 3-4 hours of White album film footage
- He showed his ipad with the 10 cameras synced to the music and how cameras were going on and off all the time.
- the IMAX version has its own unique audio mix, supervised by Giles at the only IMAX audio suite in the UK - in, unbelievably, Twickenham
- He sounded a lot less bullish about a Directors cut than on the podcasts a couple of months back

Also before the film, there was the 10 minute preamble that we got at the start of Get Back, and my word some of that footage is in need of restoration.

If you get a chance to see it, do. There are not too many chances for new Beatles experiences and this is definitely one.
Wogew

Post by Wogew »

fabwill wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:12 am
:shock:
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Wogew wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:43 am
:shock:
My heart stopped as well! The time machine effect is better than deja vu.
I'm beginning to wonder if the real Get Back concept is about time travel...
-----> AS in Beatles ARE TimeLESS<-----
as in
E
T
E
R
N
A
L
!

If tomorrow is yesterday,
and, if you can only be what you think you are...
then, The Beatles are the Hope for change
Therefore, I am
KC

I told you this was a dream!
bobzilla

Post by bobzilla »

Kwai Chang wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:29 pm My heart stopped as well! The time machine effect is better than deja vu.
I'm beginning to wonder if the real Get Back concept is about time travel...
You may be right. I learned the other day that the rooftop concert is apparently in the future. I went to see what the actual temperature was on that day in London and was greeted with...

Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:29 pm Thinking about this some more, I reckon it will not have the interviews. But it may have the split screen.
Was lucky enough to see it at a sold out London BFI IMAX yesterday. It had both the split screens and the interviews, and it was probably the most astonishing thing I've seen at a cinema since I saw Star Wars aged 7. The combination of both stellar visuals and an utterly incredible sound was fabulous. The second Paul revs up his bass, and then Ringo starts drumming, you realise the amps are all cranked up to 11. It is physically loud in a way that hits you, like seeing a band live. This is not the same experience as watching it at home.

It isn't (I think) exactly the same as the series footage - the split screens are sometimes 3 in a row in a way that might fill a 21:9 screen, sometimes 2x2 in a way that fills a 4:3 screen and sometimes 3 arranged 1 in 4:3 with 2 screens one on top of the other to the left or right (you'll appreciate I didn't have a ruler out so forgive me if the ratios are wrong). The latter 2 versions in particular filled the whole IMAX screen. Because there is so much going on when you have split screens, it's a complete feast for the eyes - you could watch it 3-4 times and spot new things each time. Kevin getting seriously into the first take of Get Back, doorman Jimmy getting a little teary eyed when he finally makes it to the rooftop - both of these were new to me.

I have a suspicion that the interviews (which frankly, I love) were only over the released tracks, which makes me wonder if there is some kind of copyright issue - maybe only UMG can release the uninterrupted music?

Before the film, Peter Jackson did a superb hour long Q&A. Information that I'm not sure we had before:
- In the last few years they interviewed loads of involved people on film - on his ipad he played 5 seconds of an interview with PC Ray Dagg on the rooftop. The idea was to get as full a picture of goings on as possible, and presumably he had one eye on a deluxe box set.
- He showed his ipad with the 10 cameras synced to the music and how cameras were going on and off all the time.
- the IMAX version has its own unique audio mix, supervised by Giles at the only IMAX audio suite in the UK - in, unbelievably, Twickenham
- He sounded a lot less bullish about a Directors cut than on the podcasts a couple of months back

Also before the film, there was the 10 minute preamble that we got at the start of Get Back, and my word some of that footage is in need of restoration.

If you get a chance to see it, do. There are not too many chances for new Beatles experiences and this is definitely one.
The interviews were being shown at the exact moments they were filmed…unlike the Let it Be film…