Watching Get Back the second time

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
MarkRJones1970

Re: Watching Get Back the second time

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

I've seen Peter Jackson mention a few times that there was a terrific take of One After 909 recorded the day before the rooftop. He wanted to include it but thought it was too near the version they performed on the roof so left it out of the finished cut of the film.

Anyone know which take he's on about?
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
bobzilla

Post by bobzilla »

MarkRJones1970 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:56 pm I've seen Peter Jackson mention a few times that there was a terrific take of One After 909 recorded the day before the rooftop. He wanted to include it but thought it was too near the version they performed on the roof so left it out of the finished cut of the film.

Anyone know which take he's on about?
They only attempted One After 909 three times on the 29th. If I had to guess, I would say he's probably referring to DDSI 29.47. It seems the most fun version from that day to me.
sam004

Post by sam004 »

millerTEK wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:59 am Found something not in the NAGRA footage -
See Part 2 at 38:13 marked as DAY 10 on JAn 16.
The Twickenham set breakdown is happening yet MAINLY - we find Paul shows up at Twick and has Glyn record some Items - mainly Oh Darling (note the echo)...

these items are listed around DDSI14.48 at the end of JAn 14th. so it appears these were recorded on the 15th.
Nice DDSI update!

ALSO CHECK OUT the time afterward from Jan 17th to 20th....equipment testing. misc items - no recording allowed apparently. Beatles showed up on the 20th (you can see the footage of JOhn and Yoko arriving that was used in the LIB movie, etc).
Isn't the Oh Darling recorded on the 16th. In the film don't they indicate the 15th was lost to meet with George.
It's also described in the new Get Back book too.
millerTEK

Post by millerTEK »

typo on my part - 15th should be changed to 16th:

correct - watch DAY 10 - Jan 16 - it was on the 16th. DDSI numbers show this demo with all the echo as a DDSI14 number.
snrub

Post by snrub »

I'm loving the constant bombardment of new articles keeping the story going, but keep finding the pet peeve of obvious inaccurate information in these otherwise well-meaning articles. Is anyone here noticing that as well? I try to ignore and move on, but it keeps happening.

Perhaps we can start a Bingo card, I'll start:

- "After leaving Twickenham, the band moved into Abbey Road Studios" (bonus points for being wrong on two levels)
- "John Lennon once said that Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles"
- "McCartney wrote Get Back out of thin air by strumming a G chord on his bass"
-"(McCartney forged rock music's) path from the early 1960s onward, from Hamburg's grubby Cavern Club ..." (NPR)
bobzilla

Post by bobzilla »

snrub wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:21 pm ...from Hamburg's grubby Cavern Club ..."
Hamburg's Cavern Club was so grubby it was forced to be located in Liverpool, England.
billybudapest

Post by billybudapest »

So...I wish PJ included the Across The Universe rehearsal where Paul just didn't care, yawned, and John said "Maybe we should do a fast one".

And some of John's Heroin interview.

And John's silent rebuttal to Paul's pep talk about keeping the band going.

If all 4 were quoted in interviews shortly after, and I'm paraphrasing here...not a good time, I'll go with that.

PJ tried, and succeeded, in a retelling of LIB. Enjoyed it! But it was so ill of an experience for the group that they basically, not sure really, said forget that...lets try one more.