Watching Get Back the second time

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
harrythebannister

Re: Watching Get Back the second time

Post by harrythebannister »

Ah...thanks. That couldn’t have helped with his overall mood at the time.
Hozman

Post by Hozman »

MarkRJones1970 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:12 pm I read that George's mum was ill at the time
George was also having problems at home. https://theymaybeparted.com/2019/11/19/ ... anding-at/
bobzilla

Post by bobzilla »

George was annoyed with Twickenham, probably annoyed with Paul, his mom was sick, he was having troubles at home, and a month later had is tonsils removed, so he might have been in physical discomfort at the time too. Just all around having a bad January.
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Hozman wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:50 pm
MarkRJones1970 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:12 pm I read that George's mum was ill at the time
George was also having problems at home. https://theymaybeparted.com/2019/11/19/ ... anding-at/
He certainly was…and that seems like a more likely reason for him to take his leave..
Last edited by Rickenbacker325 on Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leaping Armadillos

Post by Leaping Armadillos »

bobzilla wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:43 pm George was annoyed with Twickenham, probably annoyed with Paul, his mom was sick, he was having troubles at home, and a month later had is tonsils removed, so he might have been in physical discomfort at the time too. Just all around having a bad January.
He also spent the holidays with Dylan and the Band in Woodstock. As best I can piece together, he flew back to London, attended a New Year's party, Patti moved out while his girlfriend moved in, and he started at Twickenham all in a 48 hour span. Shit, I would have called in sick.
dumbchops

Post by dumbchops »

I watched it twice when it first aired. In other words, I watched mkv's on my laptop (all of which were available approx. 10 hours after being available on Disney) and then later those evenings on the Cinema app with my family. That was pretty intensive and I haven't actually watched any of it since. I know I'll be combing through it for more Nagra recordings eventually.
My full name is Uncle Capt. "Skipper" Dumbchops and I seem to have misplaced my electric pretzel sharpener.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Watched the first part of ep2 again last night.

That scene of Paul and Ringo waiting around wondering whether John has quit too is really sad. When Paul talks about making a news spectacular and announcing the end of the Beatles at the end, Ringo looks like he is about to cry. I think Ringo was really very distressed by the whole idea of the band coming to an end, even more so than Paul.

It's amazing how there was this great story hiding in plain sight all these decades. Jackson has really managed to unpick it from all the tons of footage and present it with razor sharp clarity.

Love the scene of Paul half giving the clapperboard guy a piano lesson. And what is that "Song Of Love" he plays? An early L&M original? That's a pretty good song in cabaret style. He plays another one I've never heard before too. How many old songs did they have just lying around?!

What a shame we can't see John singing Madman and Watching Rainbows. I'd really hoped there would be footage of them. All there is seemingly is some distant shots of John playing, erm, something.

So funny that MLH seems to think Hare Krishna is a bloke called Harry. "Do you like him Ringo? "No, I don't like him."
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
beatlesondvd

Post by beatlesondvd »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:04 amSo funny that MLH seems to think Hare Krishna is a bloke called Harry.
I think he's making a tongue-in-cheek comment.
BDJ

Post by BDJ »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:04 am Watched the first part of ep2 again last night.

That scene of Paul and Ringo waiting around wondering whether John has quit too is really sad. When Paul talks about making a news spectacular and announcing the end of the Beatles at the end, Ringo looks like he is about to cry. I think Ringo was really very distressed by the whole idea of the band coming to an end, even more so than Paul.

It's amazing how there was this great story hiding in plain sight all these decades. Jackson has really managed to unpick it from all the tons of footage and present it with razor sharp clarity.

Love the scene of Paul half giving the clapperboard guy a piano lesson. And what is that "Song Of Love" he plays? An early L&M original? That's a pretty good song in cabaret style. He plays another one I've never heard before too. How many old songs did they have just lying around?!

What a shame we can't see John singing Madman and Watching Rainbows. I'd really hoped there would be footage of them. All there is seemingly is some distant shots of John playing, erm, something.

So funny that MLH seems to think Hare Krishna is a bloke called Harry. "Do you like him Ringo? "No, I don't like him."
According to 'The 910':

"The song was inspired by the film Song of Love (1947 MGM) with Katharine Hepburn (as Clara Schumann), Paul Henreid (as Robert Schumann) and Robert Walker (as Johannes Brahms). Specifically, the scene in which Johannes plays a portion of his Hungarian Dance No. 4 on the piano, for Clara and Robert in their living room, at the dramatic point in the film where Robert's auditory hallucinations begin, which will later drive him to madness.

The melody is identical, and it appears that Paul added his own lyrics, conspicuously using the film's title, "Song Of Love""
peerke

Post by peerke »

bobzilla wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:43 pm George was annoyed with Twickenham, probably annoyed with Paul, his mom was sick, he was having troubles at home, and a month later had is tonsils removed, so he might have been in physical discomfort at the time too. Just all around having a bad January.
... and Lennon had zero interest in the songs he presented, and was content to sit back and let Yoko do the talking for him on that meeting after he left.