The wonderful madness of the Get Back series

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
enriquelu

The wonderful madness of the Get Back series

Post by enriquelu »

When it was announced that Peter Jackson was remaking “Let It Be,” he was in a state of ecstasy seasoned with anxiety. The date of its publication never came.
Finally the date arrived and I was able to see the series.
The first thing that struck me was the excellent image quality. I am not a video expert, but I never thought that those old images could be fixed so much. The result is spectacular.
The sound had also improved a lot. This if I expected it.
As a fan of the Beatles I began to analyze the series.
From a Get Back Sessions point of view, the introduction is not very interesting.
I started to analyze the series when day 2-1-69 begins.
The sweeping man already made me suspect there were traps.
I have analyzed 2 minutes and 38 seconds. This is the result
Sin título.png
Sin título.png (39.6 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
At this point, I realized that analyzing the entire series can take a matter of years. There is no order or complete synchronization between images and sound. Also, there are sounds that are not in the Nagra scrolls. Even the performances are edited (cut). In short, a wonderful madness.
I think that if something is worth analyzing it should be from the 21st, when stereo records appear.
I leave this pic with you in case someone has enough enthusiasm to continue.
I'm going to just sit back, forget what I know about Get Back Sessions, and enjoy a 7.5 hour series of my favorite band.
Doug

Re: The wonderful madness of the Get Back series

Post by Doug »

It's even worse than what you show. For instance, I don't think they're actually playing "On The Road To Marrakesh" at all, and what we're seeing are excerpts from DDSI 2.01 (Don't Let Me Down) and 2.02 (All Things Must Pass). I agree, though, that a thorough analysis of this would take years, with little hope that we could disassemble everything correctly, since there are many insert shots that we'd never be able to sync.
kolive

Post by kolive »

Interesting.

I suspect the whole series is like this.
Its like they took each days worth of film/sound.
Chopped it up in several second irregular intervals
and selected 20 min or so each day and glued it back together.

WHY??

I think from the start of 2.05 to 2:15 would be about 12 min.
cut out something, fine.
But do we need 9 sec. of 2.03 inserted 2.06 and 2.19??

Your table shows a hell of a lot of jumping around in just under 3min.

I'm missing the artistic angle that this form of cubism brings out.
kolive

Post by kolive »

I do agree that the sound is good and visually its far better than I imagined it would be.
It is a pleasure to watch.
But we know too much!
Plus thanks to Doug and his books the chronology is in our hands (literally).
BDJ

Post by BDJ »

Peter Jackson warned us that the picture doesn't always match the sound; this is 'inevitable', since there is 150 hours of sound and only ca 30 hours of film. So we can't blame him for that. :|

However, Jackson also said that his documentary would be in chronological order; in contrast with the 1970 film, that hopped from day to day. It seems that Jackson did not take this too strictly: he indeed did not mix different days (or did he???), but freely mixed up shots and sounds from any given day. I suppose this is necessary to make his documentaries watchable for an audience; some artistic freedom is allowed, but it would have been nice if he had actually said this as well. :x

What I worry most about is if Jackson has used his artistic license to actually create new conversations. For instance:
George: " How many songs have we recorded good enough?"
John: "None".

In Jackson's film, we do not see George ask the question, and John seems to direct his "none' to Paul, not to George (who is not in this shot either). So did this conversation actually happen, or did John reply to the question "how many sugars would you like in your tea"? :roll:
kolive

Post by kolive »

I really hope that's not the case.
enriquelu

Post by enriquelu »

Doug wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:23 pm It's even worse than what you show. For instance, I don't think they're actually playing "On The Road To Marrakesh" at all, and what we're seeing are excerpts from DDSI 2.01 (Don't Let Me Down) and 2.02 (All Things Must Pass). I agree, though, that a thorough analysis of this would take years, with little hope that we could disassemble everything correctly, since there are many insert shots that we'd never be able to sync.
yes Doug, you are right.
I have only analyzed the sound, not the image.

manipulated situations?
For example, in the Nagra roll ringo plays the drums without saying hello. After a minutes, he gives the new year's greetings. In the movie it's the other way around.
Not disturbing your teammates when they are playing is good practice. But after sitting down to play, appearing on a stool listening to your companions is not very normal.
BDJ

Post by BDJ »

The first 'rehearsal' of Get Back on the Rooftop is certainly 'doctored'. The rehearsal is shorter than on the Nagra tapes; and in PJ's film it is actually a mash-up of fragments of Nagra tape with fragments of the second performance of Get Back!

Not a big deal for most people, but a grave transgression for others.....

PJ also masks that there was a pause in the concert, somewhere halfway through. I suppose they needed to change the film in the cameras? At that moment they played 'God Save the Queen' (in the PJ film) and fragments of 'I Want You' and 'A pretty girl is like a melody', not in the film. I suppose they stopped the 8-track recorder while changing film, so only Nagra audio exists.

Not a big deal for most people..........
Tex

Post by Tex »

PJ was NOT "remaking" Let It Be. He went out of his way to NOT recycle the already released footage and only show NEW stuff.
Listen to that 4 hour video podcast please.
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

I'm just throwing this out there......I felt that the "moment George leaves" was concocted...Can anybody point me to the proper nagra tape for this moment? And.....the "hidden microphone" conversation between John and Paul is also suspect...(in my non-professional opinion)