Eventual DVD release Get Back Project ??????

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Re: Eventual DVD release Get Back Project ??????

Post by WilliamShears »

Beatles4Ever wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:15 am As for any huge BD set coming....I wouldn't hold my breath.

While the series was great for the content we got, they managed to kill it with the rooftop concert which is the whole point of these sessions to begin with. We got treated to side by side by side thumbnail sized alternate footage rather than full screen concert goodness. We now know exactly what is in the vault and we will still never get to see it in it's uninterrupted glory.

The rooftop concert was the one thing we have been waiting for for decades and PJ dropped the ball on this one. The lack of full screen footage and the voice over content while the Beatles were playing should have been included as an extra....and not part of the main event. I was hoping we would see all of the Beatles come through the door onto the roof and that we would see everything that took place on the roof rather than taking particular interest in the goings on of the police and the people in the street. It's interesting in it's own right but the Beatles playing for the last time ever as a live group is the historically important point to this and the footage is in the cans.....we simply were not treated to the full content. Although watching John slip Yoko his bag of drugs on the rooftop before leaving the roof was something I was surprised they left in.
I don’t think we will need a special edition or “extra content” Blu-ray to see the rooftop without the street scenes. They can give us a “create your own adventure” type cut, within the BR, with the option to just show the concert without those parts using just the footage that was already in the series.

I’m going to fantasy land for a minute, but it would be an interesting marketing exercise to put all the camera rolls on YouTube and let fans create their own directors cut of the show. Like what happens these days where people mash up all the available cell phone videos made at a show into a relatively sophisticated film of the concert.
Beatles4Ever wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:15 am My last gripe is....why didn't we get Let It Be, The Long and Winding Road and Two Of Us performances that followed? Snippets of those performances were rolling during the credits. That made zero sense to me considering they were included in the original film.
Yeah PJ basically kept the same story line as MLH which is that the roof was the climax and no need to go any further after that. Coincidentally I felt he ended the Lord of the Rings the same way - deciding the last battle was the place to end the trilogy but leaving out some of my favorite parts of the books afterwords when the hobbits come back home as battle hardened studs (lol!). At the end of the day it was an artistic decision since he must have felt he didn’t want the viewer to go back into story mode after the climax. It’s a decision for the 99% and I understand the reasoning. It’s a trade off.
Beatles4Ever wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:15 am Speaking of original film....there has been nothing reported on giving us the original movie remastered.
So what happens next with all of this footage. PJ and his crew are the only people to ever see the films in their entirety since they were canned 50 years ago.

We are the last generation of people who actually care about all of this stuff. The cash cow will eventually fade......there is no time like the present to grab the cash now or let all of this footage rot in a vault until it turns to dust. What a shame and a waste of such historical footage.
This is the real question. The number of people willing (and able!) to put out hard money on this type of stuff is dwindling. My kids don’t even consider buying physical music or films. Since Paul/Ringo/kin don’t need the money, there has to be another reason for them to even consider it. I would think one reason is control - they only have so much time left to influence these types of releases, and overall, I think they’ve been pretty generous with the Deluxe Editions and this film. But I am with you wanting more…
Debbiebootleg

Post by Debbiebootleg »

8 hours is much better of what we thought we were gonna get. but still we need more.
Rn counting the past sources I believe we have 10 hours of footage who is not even the half of what there is.
Eric_Manchester

Post by Eric_Manchester »

Sid Burnsteen wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:16 am Hope someone's working on a letter to Bob Iger that we all have a chance to get behind!!
Iger has retired from Disney and resigned from the company's Board of Directors, so probably doesn't have much influence any more. Disney's CEO is Bob Chapek, but I don't know how much interest he has in GET BACK specifically.
Carose

Post by Carose »

I am a bit surprised that the complete P.J. / Disney Three Part series hasn't made the rounds for easy access quite yet , unless I missed it somewhere ... maybe because they're almost 3 hours long each and how do you fit that onto a two hour disc without losing quality :?:
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Carose wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:16 pm I am a bit surprised that the complete P.J. / Disney Three Part series hasn't made the rounds for easy access quite yet , unless I missed it somewhere ... maybe because they're almost 3 hours long each and how do you fit that onto a two hour disc without losing quality :?:
Oh it’s definitely out there in various forms…Downloadable…DVD…Blu-ray…
Debbiebootleg

Post by Debbiebootleg »

Gredel21

Post by Gredel21 »

Hi All
Re: Imax theatre 60 min Rooftop concert,

Will be interesting to see if it is edited with just the Beatles not including the street and the cops footage.
only available in US Imax theatres

Let us know
Greg

Also glad to hear of the Blu-ray DVD release in February
etk01

Post by etk01 »

Given that I checked the website, it mentioned "in the US" so now had to wonder if the worldwide release is the same time or later (I live in Australia btw).
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

etk01 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:48 pm Given that I checked the website, it mentioned "in the US" so now had to wonder if the worldwide release is the same time or later (I live in Australia btw).
A global theatrical engagement of the 60-minute feature, “The Beatles: Get Back–The Rooftop Concert,” will then run from February 11th until the 13th, 2022.

So, bluray/DVd on the 8th and then the IMAX on the 11-13th.
BrianHodkin21

Post by BrianHodkin21 »

The Blu Ray and DVDs are now on the offical US Beatles store!