Eventual DVD release Get Back Project ??????

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Gredel21

Eventual DVD release Get Back Project ??????

Post by Gredel21 »

Greetings all.

Now that the Peter Jackson - Get Back project has been streamed on Disney plus
Would anyone guess or know if the whole project will be released on Blu-ray /DVD next year.

Depending where on the web - you read that there could be from 4 to 6 hours bonus footage.
I have also seen there is a 100 min version that might be available
Concidering all the work Peter Jackson did to sync up and find the footage , it would be a shame if it wasn't
released in any form.

What do you think will happen ????

Greg
Fun 4 None

Re: Eventual DVD release Get Back Project ??????

Post by Fun 4 None »

Disney wants to maintain the streaming exclusivity for some time, so I wouldn't personally expect a Blu Ray for a couple months or longer.
Nimbus

Post by Nimbus »

Fun 4 None wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:54 am Disney wants to maintain the streaming exclusivity for some time, so I wouldn't personally expect a Blu Ray for a couple months or longer.
Strange though that they will miss the huge Christmas market. I can't see a DVD release selling as much if it's released mid-year or in 12 months time.
MrP

Post by MrP »

They are not trying to sell physical products they are selling Disney+ subscriptions.

Nimbus wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:03 am
Fun 4 None wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:54 am Disney wants to maintain the streaming exclusivity for some time, so I wouldn't personally expect a Blu Ray for a couple months or longer.
Strange though that they will miss the huge Christmas market. I can't see a DVD release selling as much if it's released mid-year or in 12 months time.
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Post by WilliamShears »

PJ suggested he would like to see a combined set with LIB released. This would be great but realistically it would be for fall/Christmas next year…
skynet

Post by skynet »

WilliamShears wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:27 am PJ suggested he would like to see a combined set with LIB released. This would be great but realistically it would be for fall/Christmas next year…
Agree also i read somewher, (sorry need to find the reference) that on BD the cut will be 10 hours long instead of the streaming cut which was about 8 hours or so... As soon as i find the reference i will post it here
Gredel21

Post by Gredel21 »

Hi All
Mr P has made a valid point that Disney+ is trying to sell subscriptions and not product.
Concidering Disney+ does not have a free trial run but they did were willing to give out a discount in November.
It would be interesting to see how many People were cancelling their subscription next month since the Get Back project is over.
Also how Disney/Apple will eventually issue the series.
It would be interesting to see how much of the Pie - Peter Jackson has - percentage wise making a decision to how much can be released.
One good thing about Peter Jackson's direction is that he doesn't hold back on material - He is giving us more footage than originally expected.
Which makes up for the lack of new material on the box set.
( Only if He would release all of the Nagra footage completely - As well as Shea Stadium )
Greg
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

The way I see it is this... Disney is looking for one thing: subscribers. A 100 minute movie would have pulled in some new subscribers but a lot of people would have said, "Nah, i'll just wait for the dvd." By making it into an 8 hour song and dance spectacular, they can lure in even the most hesitant of fans and near-fans. Once they have subscribed, it doesn't matter if they watch the whole thing or 10 minutes worth. Disney don't care, they have a new subscriber. A lot of people will not bother cancelling, or forget, or find they can watch all of The Simpsons and stay.

Partly for that reason i don't think we'll see a dvd until early next year, and it will be just a vanilla dvd with maybe a commentary and a few trailers or something. Then, once they feel that they've milked the dvd and streaming sufficiently, we will get a full bells and whistles PJ extended version that retails at three times the price. Maybe that will be at this time next year? Apple then get four bites at the... erm, apple. Once with the cds, once with the streaming royalties, once with a regular physical release and once with a special edition physical release. And that doesn't include the vinyls and whatnot. Phew.
dk2600

Post by dk2600 »

And maybe we will have a cinema version of the 100 minutes version early next year.
Beatles4you

Post by Beatles4you »

Last edited by Beatles4you on Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.