Get Back: Part 3 (Rooftop!) - thoughts and reviews

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
BrianHodkin21

Re: Get Back: Part 3 (Rooftop!) - thoughts and reviews

Post by BrianHodkin21 »

I personally don't mind the way they presented the rooftop concert in terms of VIEWING it
But I really wish they did a separate audio release!
I just want a complete 42 minute rooftop concert CD professionally mixed without all the street interviews.
I hope I'm wrong but I don't think we'll ever get an audio Rooftop release
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

Do I wish we had an untouched rooftop concert? Yes. If I were a filmmaker would I have done exactly what Jackson did? Yes. He’s telling a story and the cutaways to the street and the police, and even the audio depth changes when zooming out do that IMO. They're the eye of the hurricane. I think the 31st could have been handled more deftly by inserting more complete takes and dragging out the credits. That said, the rooftop was the climax and a prolonged section on the 31st might make the climax a bit less exciting. I get the choices. It’s up to Apple to choose whether we get more, but Jackson's creative choices stand on their own IMO.
CultTVman

Post by CultTVman »

When looking at the 30th and 31st, keep in mind, most of that stuff is in Let It Be. They are not trying to replicate what is in that movie. They are telling a much broader story. Get Back is a companion to Let It Be.

Steve
MeanMrMustard100

Post by MeanMrMustard100 »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:26 am Have to say I was utterly bummed by the rooftop presentation. I was hoping for a complete uninterrupted video, and instead it was all over the place with talking and echo coming in and out. The presentation of the final day was even worse.

10/10 for eps 1 & 2 & first part of 3

1 out of 10 for the last 50 minutes. :x
That was the first thing i have said after i've seen part 3. I love Get Back, so happy with it. But i like to see a clean rooftop concert. I was expecting a great concert because Giles Marin has told that the only way to enjoy the concert is to see it on film! I still hope for a clean concert on the extra's. The day after was to short. Part 1 and 2 were so balanced, but 3 failes a bit in the end.
Somnar

Post by Somnar »

I had many issues with the film, but Jackson's cutting of the rooftop concert isn't one of them. I thought he did a great job and loved the street level stuff. The way people reacted to the questions told a story all unto itself.
Patrick Healy

Post by Patrick Healy »

I don't think there's enough from the 31st to have its own segment, they're basically finishing off by that point, but I think that the complete video master take of 'Let It Be' should have been included, not just the beginning and the end.
dumbchops

Post by dumbchops »

Even though the 31st was covered in the movie Let It Be I was really hoping for an upgraded experience. I agree with others about wanting a straight up rooftop concert without the interviews and reception area scenes perhaps as a bonus. The highlight was of course Ringo's fart at around the 1 hour 3 minute mark of Part 3. I'm really hoping they include complete takes or songs in the blu-ray release. 9.5/10
My full name is Uncle Capt. "Skipper" Dumbchops and I seem to have misplaced my electric pretzel sharpener.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

There is a silver lining to it I suppose. The different angles were all presented in uncropped 4:3, which makes it possible to recut the entire concert in 4:3 without any of the coppers or passers by.

Those cops are pretty young. hard to believe they wouldn't be fans themselves, but are caught between a rock and a hard place. Probably why they were so softly softly. That and the cameras.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
noirbar

Post by noirbar »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:38 amThose cops are pretty young. hard to believe they wouldn't be fans themselves, but are caught between a rock and a hard place. Probably why they were so softly softly. That and the cameras.
Caught that as well. I'm really struck by how everyone looks so young. Even John. My memories of Let It Be at the theater is they're all much older. In my mind I remember Billy Preston as a big guy on the Rhodes, somewhere around 35 years old. Holy cow, he's looks barely 18.

Even at the very very end, they're all just kids, still in their 20s, who changed our lives.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I really liked the bit where Ringo is talking to Glyn about the Around The Beatles acetate. Firstly because I'm amazed that Ringo kept it and revisited it, secondly because he is so impressed with the sound, and thirdly because Glyn takes such huge delight in Ringo's praise. A great little moment.