Get Back: Part 3 (Rooftop!) - thoughts and reviews

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Rickenbacker325

Re: Get Back: Part 3 (Rooftop!) - thoughts and reviews

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

MarkRJones1970 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:22 am
beatlesondvd wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:05 pmDo tell!
It was at a Beatles Convention at the Adelphi Hotel around 1993. Bob Wooler was there and I spotted him. I said to my mate "Oh look there's Bob Wooler!" (him not having a clue who he was). Bob noticed that I had noticed him, he was purple faced and obviously bladdered, started saying "Whatttt are youuu lewking at?" and lumbered towards me with his fit raised so I ran away from him!

Have no idea why he went weird. He was at a Beatles convention, of course people are going to be looking at him but, for some reason, he took offence when I did!

In comparison, I met Allan Williams and Alf Bicknell too, and they were both lovely!
I was at the same event at the Adelphi in 2006 I believe..and I witnessed Sam Leach and Rogue Best almost have a barney…definitely an old wound that never healed
sunnylew

Post by sunnylew »

When I first heard that the complete rooftop concert would be included I had in mind that it would be a straight coverage of the entire concert - something close to a concert film, so we could sit back and experience watching them up there on the stage for the last time.

So - I think like a lot of you - I was a little thrown at first.

But then I realised, PJ is a massive fan, just like us. So I think he decided to give us a gift.

He's well aware that we want a straight concert film, but he also knows very we already have all of the audio of the rooftop, but perhaps not all from the crowds on the street - or the police - and definitely not all of the footage.

So on the one hand he's been able to make multiple takes of the same song more interesting for the casual viewer (if they get there) and he's ramped up the tension and the interest with all of the reactions and coverage of the police.

On the other, by giving us split screens - in what i think is now available in 4K if you know where to find it - he's given us (or those who know how to go about it) multiple angles in what is probably still better quality than anyone is used to of the whole thing.

We'll always want it all in the highest quality, but apart from the overall 7 or 8 hours of new angles, he's given us multiple angles of the rooftop to play with.

Apart from its cinematic appeal, I believe this is entirely intentional as a gift to the hard core fans.

I mean he said he tried not to repeat any camera angles from the original film. And I don't think this is out of difference to MHL - this is because he knows we already have these, and they'll probably be cleaned up and released in due course.

In the end - including multiple angles of the rooftop, we'll have 9 or 10 hours of clean footage. Perhaps more if there's an extended release.
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

Would be great to get a nice new stereo mix of the whole rooftop shindig (without the street audio) when the blu-ray comes around. 8-)
—Keith
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Have to say I was utterly bummed by the rooftop presentation. I was hoping for a complete uninterrupted video, and instead it was all over the place with talking and echo coming in and out. The presentation of the final day was even worse.

10/10 for eps 1 & 2 & first part of 3

1 out of 10 for the last 50 minutes. :x
Fun 4 None

Post by Fun 4 None »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:26 am Have to say I was utterly bummed by the rooftop presentation. I was hoping for a complete uninterrupted video, and instead it was all over the place with talking and echo coming in and out. The presentation of the final day was even worse.

I enjoyed the Rooftop segment a lot personally speaking, but yeah I wish Peter actually documented Jan 31st instead of the clip show. I also would've liked an outro about the band, but that might've left things on a sour note.
Computer Gary

Post by Computer Gary »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:26 am Have to say I was utterly bummed by the rooftop presentation. I was hoping for a complete uninterrupted video, and instead it was all over the place with talking and echo coming in and out.
Maybe they're saving the complete concert for the DVD?

I haven't seen Get Back yet. How does the rooftop concert as presented in the documentary compare with what's in Let It Be?
Grandfather: I must see Paulie!
Cop: Go home, then, and see him on the telly!
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:26 am Have to say I was utterly bummed by the rooftop presentation. I was hoping for a complete uninterrupted video, and instead it was all over the place with talking and echo coming in and out. The presentation of the final day was even worse.

The phony reverb was distracting for sure…but the talking bits are in the correct spots during the show unlike the Let it Be film…so that made it acceptable to me at least…When it first started I had a similar reaction to another member of this page…I was like..”what the heck is this?!”…but then as it went on I “got it”’and saw what PJ was doing..and I was very pleased in the end. I posted a previous message about the warmup take of Get Back and that audio sounds very much like a concocted version from version 3..we can only hope that a Blu-ray will have alternate audio…those mixes are definitely different than the box set and would be worth hearing sans any extra stuff
Last edited by Rickenbacker325 on Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
miggynav

Post by miggynav »

I understand why you feel that way and I too would have preferred a complete uninterrupted rooftop concert. Surprisingly, my wife watched the 3 episodes with me and she enjoyed it and she hasn't seen the original Let It Be film. For us who knew and heard almost everything about this sessions, we don't need to hear the street interviews or the extended scenes of the cops in the building lobby, but for the casual Beatles fans, the way PJ presented the 3 episodes are a perfect way for them to understand the events. Hopefully, there will be a boxset with complete songs during the sessions and full rooftop concert without the other non performance bits.
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

simond9X wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:08 pm
beatlbay wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:45 pm I liked how the concert was presented within the context of the story with the people in the street and the cops, however, maybe as an extra on the bluray, I would like a "clean" copy of the rooftop without the interviews/cops.
Totally agree. At first, I wasn't happy about the constant cutting away and spoken interruptions but, you're right, it presents 'the story' in real time. It would be good though to see the complete uninterrupted rooftop show with best quality sound - it sounded fantastic through headphones. Just showed what a tight band they were.
I would also agree. Maybe for the Bluray/DVD the rooftop performance in full uninterrupted with OPTIONAL PIPs or optional split-screen so you can decide whether or not you want the fans, moaners and police appear or not. Just my two pennies worth.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I'm sorry if I sound grouchy but I really thought we'd seen the end of this kind of thing. It's like Anthology all over again. Just give us the bloody clips... don't effing mess around with them! It's not like we have an unmolested rooftop or even a LIB dvd as an alternative.
Last edited by Lord Reith on Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.