Get Back: Part 3 (Rooftop!) - thoughts and reviews

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Rickenbacker325

Re: Get Back: Part 3 (Rooftop!) - thoughts and reviews

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

snrub wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:14 am Incredible work, really told the full story in glorious detail. Let's hope we live to see an extended version with even more bonus features, especially rooftop with only the band's audio.

I actually want to watch Let It Be next because I miss some of the things PJ refused to re-use. He and MLH are friends now and PJ went out of his way to ensure that the two films would be companion pieces rather than rendering LIB obsolete.

In parts 2 & 3, it was strange seeing Paul so fidgety/unsure/forlorn, I'm always surprised whenever he is anything less than 100% confident. I would speculate on a few possible things weighing on his mind which may or may not have been factors.

1. He knows that J & G's interest in the group is waning and seems paranoid about them going off to do their own separate projects ("you'll be off in the bag" etc.) and not necessarily receptive to answering his next "come on lads, time to make an album" phone call. We saw how emotional he was at the end of Twickenham with the group's breakup on his mind.

2. In the cafeteria by John and likely again in the second GH meeting, Paul is told clearly that it's a problem when he insists on telling everyone exactly what to play on his songs. This forces him to bite his tongue (in addition to his nails!)

3. The Klein meeting. This was the beginning of what he knew would be a huge issue for him (and his desire to enlist the Eastmans to manage the group).

4. Since Mary was born 7 months later, is this when he found out Linda was pregnant?

5. Re: the rooftop, didn't PJ say on the TWST podcast that Paul didn't want to play on the roof because of stage fright/nerves? I respectfully disagree and feel he only tried to pooh-pooh the rooftop performance because only 5 songs would be included, thus harpooning his vision of performing an entire album's worth of songs in a real concert. As much as we all love the rooftop, that was no "concert".

Also, speaking of pooh-pooh I almost fell out of my chair when Ringo tells George Martin that he farted. Maybe that was payback for "Love Me Do" :lol:
Ringo farting was quite possibly the greatest moment in Beatle history! As if I need another reason to be an obsessed fan…
skynet

Post by skynet »

sam004 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:23 pm I have got a chance to 'watch' the 3 part series. Fabulous !
I think my 'complaint' along with many others is not having the full take of songs.
They are probably well aware of bootlegging, perhaps. And it may reduce future sales of that material.

One of the cameraman has a crush on Linda. he keeps sneaking shots of her :)

I haven't had a chance to listen yet.
My question is how is the audio ?
Most of what I have heard is very good mono.

Is any of this in stereo ?

Rooftop and some part of apple sessions are in stereo and multichannel 5.1 and dolby atmos (i know for a fact because i have the feed from disney+ in my HT in dolby atmos and i turn all the way up for the rooftop concert, it was like being there... Just a godamn joyus experience 😊)
paul62

Post by paul62 »

Utterly compelling docuseries...will have to watch it again!!!

There was a fleeting glimpse of someone having a quick and quiet word with Yoko (in episode one, I think) and it came to my mind that it might have been Spanish Tony Sanchez (who catered to the medicinal needs of John and Yoko). His associate Robert Fraser pops up in episode three, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was Tony Sanchez that I'd spotted.

I thought Mal Evans had a very wired look in his eyes, at times: he must have taken lots of pep pills to perform his duties.

Glyn Johns looks a little like Klaus Voormann: they have a similar kind of look (must be the cheekbones). Glyn was an aspiring vocalist/pop star and would have looked cool working in a band with Klaus in this time period, methinks.

I think there will be an eventual "director's cut" boxed set: let's hope it will have complete songs...!!!
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
astronaut

Post by astronaut »

Rickenbacker325 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:40 am
snrub wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:14 am Also, speaking of pooh-pooh I almost fell out of my chair when Ringo tells George Martin that he farted. Maybe that was payback for "Love Me Do" :lol:
Ringo farting was quite possibly the greatest moment in Beatle history! As if I need another reason to be an obsessed fan…
OMG
I thought exactly the same, I remembered what appears in the Anthology and evidently it was the revenge of Love Me Do :lol: :lol: :lol:
jw224

Post by jw224 »

I honestly think that this documentary was a triumph. Peter Jackson did a wonderful job presenting this footage and audio in a focused manner. It's obviously a long one but when it comes to content this is something that few fan communities can say they get to experience. I'm glad it was an honest insight into what went on, I think going day by day was the right move. There's the obvious tension that we all expected but also many laughs and lots of banter. Also massive props to Michael Lindsay-Hogg and his team for their clear determination to capture as much footage and audio as they could, even to the point of hiding mics in order to get the most accurate portrayal of what was going on. I'm not a fan of his Let It Be film but his approach is what got us this.
paul62

Post by paul62 »

Rickenbacker325 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:40 am
snrub wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:14 am
Also, speaking of pooh-pooh I almost fell out of my chair when Ringo tells George Martin that he farted. Maybe that was payback for "Love Me Do" :lol:
Ringo loved his baked beans...

Someone dropped the time-honoured question "Who farted?" just before the version of "For You Blue" that made it to the Glyn Johns version of "Get Back" (Glyn mixed out the comment), as a check of the Nagra tape will reveal: "Get rocking, Jim" was also said beforehand.

Here's "FYB" from the Nagra tape, in stereo and in mono, with the "Who farted?" comment:
https://yung.cloud/track/39372/for-you- ... -by-paul62
https://yung.cloud/track/39371/for-you- ... -by-paul62
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

beatlesondvd wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:05 pmDo tell!
It was at a Beatles Convention at the Adelphi Hotel around 1993. Bob Wooler was there and I spotted him. I said to my mate "Oh look there's Bob Wooler!" (him not having a clue who he was). Bob noticed that I had noticed him, he was purple faced and obviously bladdered, started saying "Whatttt are youuu lewking at?" and lumbered towards me with his fist raised so I ran away from him!

Have no idea why he went weird. He was at a Beatles convention, of course people are going to be looking at him but, for some reason, he took offence when I did!

In comparison, I met Allan Williams and Alf Bicknell too, and they were both lovely!
Last edited by MarkRJones1970 on Thu May 04, 2023 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

MarkRJones1970 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:22 amHave no idea why he went weird. He was at a Beatles convention, of course people are going to be looking at him but, for some reason, he took offence when I did!

In comparison, I met Allan Williams and Alf Bicknell too, and they were both lovely!
Probably because Allan was there as well. They were mortal enemies.
AllTogetherNow

Post by AllTogetherNow »

MarkRJones1970 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:22 am
beatlesondvd wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:05 pmDo tell!
It was at a Beatles Convention at the Adelphi Hotel around 1993. Bob Wooler was there and I spotted him. I said to my mate "Oh look there's Bob Wooler!" (him not having a clue who he was). Bob noticed that I had noticed him, he was purple faced and obviously bladdered, started saying "Whatttt are youuu lewking at?" and lumbered towards me with his fit raised so I ran away from him!

Have no idea why he went weird. He was at a Beatles convention, of course people are going to be looking at him but, for some reason, he took offence when I did!

Maybe he thoght you looked like JL and he had a Flashback of a fist coming.....Just joking :shock:

Regards
ATN

PS I also met Alan and he signed his book around 1976 at Alexandra Plc I have to say he seemed never got get over losing his thoose bums.DS

PSS Alan what a bloke. Later that eve during the auction. GH black dress with the cape said to been used by GH
filming Help was up for offer. No bids were made and the asking was about £20 Alan coming from the bar Shouting, noticing this, if you want some serious offers Tell about the forgotten REEF Georgi left in the inner pocket. AW RIP D S S
Whats in that jar on your shelf? Tar?
No...its liquid Vinyl for making my dream collection.

The one with the Golden lid too?
Thats exclusive for Lord Reiths stuff
simond9X

Post by simond9X »

beatlbay wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:45 pm I liked how the concert was presented within the context of the story with the people in the street and the cops, however, maybe as an extra on the bluray, I would like a "clean" copy of the rooftop without the interviews/cops.
Totally agree. At first, I wasn't happy about the constant cutting away and spoken interruptions but, you're right, it presents 'the story' in real time. It would be good though to see the complete uninterrupted rooftop show with best quality sound - it sounded fantastic through headphones. Just showed what a tight band they were.