Get Back: Part 3 (Rooftop!) - thoughts and reviews

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
zappaf78

Re: Get Back: Part 3 (Rooftop!) - thoughts and reviews

Post by zappaf78 »

I loved it all, but the only very small complaint I have is that they didn't include the unexpected start of The One After 909 which caught off guard the film crew. Peter Jackson did such a great job, almost felt like a gift for the hardcore collector, the rooftop performance, using multi-angles. I have to admit, MLH and his crew did an amazing job documenting everything, plus filming the meetings between himself and the group. Peter Jackson naming the crew, showing source material on what the group was talking about. Can't wait for the deluxe Blu Ray. I hope they release the 100 minute version with the original film for the common fan.
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

But the 100 minute version is just a sample of the full thing. You could watch that by pressing STOP after the 1st day (or whatever it was) then watch the rooftop concert.
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

DrRobert wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:35 pm "I've had some wine y'know..remember Bob Wooler?"
That's one of MY claim to fames. I, too, nearly had a fight with Bob Wooler!!
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
mikec

Post by mikec »

The 100-minute version is not a "best of" compilation, it only has chapters "Jan 27th" and "Jan 30th" in full, plus the same closing from Jan 31st, BUT.. it has a very long and EXCLUSIVE introduction from Peter showcasing how he and his team did the audio and video restoration, the Apple vaults, home movies from Peter and his family (Beatle-related), an exclusive introduction to the Rooftop Concert and a exclusive "montage" with the best scenes from most of the days. So I hope at least that the introductions from Peter could be included as bonus features to all the fans, cause I think they are very helpful to understand the whole restoration job.
mikec

Post by mikec »

Curiosities about the Rooftop Concert:
Although we've read that Peter Jackson tried to deliver this concert to us as completely as possible, we haven't technically seen it complete… yet. And possibly there is no way to ever see it because during certain breaks the main cameras were turned off and the multi-track tape paused. We could already see on video the jam of "God Save The Queen" just after "Dig A Pony", however we were not fortunate to see the brief interpretation of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" on the rooftop. CAMERA B at street level conducting the interviews continued filming and historical moments were recorded on the NAGRA audio tape, although with distant audio.
About four minutes that are in circulation on Bootlegs CDs, from the NAGRA CAMERA B tape, were omitted from Peter Jackson's version.

-“GET BACK” - SHORT WARM-UP REHEARSAL before Complete Performance #1
PETER JACKSON'S 'GET BACK': 29 seconds.
AUDIO IN BOOTLEGS CAMERA B: 34 seconds.

- “GET BACK” - TUNING AND VOCALIZATIONS prior to the Complete Performance #1
PETER JACKSON'S 'GET BACK': Not shown.
AUDIO IN BOOTLEGS CAMERA B: 2:00 minutes.

“GET BACK/ I WANT YOU (SHE’S SO HEAVY)/ DON’T LET ME DOWN”, after “GET BACK #1”
PETER JACKSON'S 'GET BACK': Not shown. (although at the end of “Dig A Pony” Peter uses a short scene from an interview with a woman taken from this sequence filmed by CAMERA B)
AUDIO IN BOOTLEGS CAMERA B:
- “Get Back” (warm-up riffs), 00:06 seconds
- "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" (instrumental: John, Paul and Billy), 00:20 seconds
-(Interview with a woman at street level)/ Warm-up riffs and dialogues on the Roof, 00:29
- “Don’t Let Me Down” (Bass riffs and vocalizations by Paul, Billy practicing on the organ and John shouting some words like “Good Night”), 00:28
TOTAL 1 minute 23 seconds.
danrevella

Post by danrevella »

@mikec
What a splendid analyses!!!!!!!!
BRAVO!!!!!!
sam004

Post by sam004 »

I have got a chance to 'watch' the 3 part series. Fabulous !
I think my 'complaint' along with many others is not having the full take of songs.
They are probably well aware of bootlegging, perhaps. And it may reduce future sales of that material.

One of the cameraman has a crush on Linda. he keeps sneaking shots of her :)

I haven't had a chance to listen yet.
My question is how is the audio ?
Most of what I have heard is very good mono.

Is any of this in stereo ?
WoodLennon

Post by WoodLennon »

Very good, this is one of my favorites, I missed a little the Take from The Long and Winding Road and the complete Let it be recorded on the last day shown in the original film but it's understandable because of the editing.

Everything was edited in such a way to make a buildup to the rooftop performance, the final point of The Beatles as a band before Klein and everything else so it's understandable that the last day was shortened.

I hope Disney will take the opportunity and release a soundtrack to the documentary with all those parts that were missing or shortened, along with the uncut rooftop performance and the original remastered film (which has been promised for a long time)

In conclusion, the 3 parts of the documentary are amazing to watch, an incredible testament to the last few months of the band's career and the experience of playing with them while watching the documentary on my acoustic guitar is unrepeatable
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Not sure if this was mentioned…but the “warm up”
Take of Get Back seems to be some type of phony baloney composite of version 2…