Get Back: Part 2 - thoughts and reviews

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
AnitaZ

Re: Get Back: Part 2 - thoughts and reviews

Post by AnitaZ »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:39 pm
alphabeatles wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:33 pm Forget DDSI! Now we've got Smokers, Nose Pickers and Nail Biters!
Ha! :lol: You'd have to be brave to let a film crew shoot you for hours on end day after day. At least they didn't scratch their bums... that I know of.
George Martin, of all people, is caught doing so at one point :lol:
dumbchops

Post by dumbchops »

F*cking Bravo!!!!! Another episode I watched twice in a row with people around the second time (my mother and son who are luckily both Beatles fans as well) and I'm still pulsing from the excitement. My stock in Peter Jackson has gone through the roof. Finally being able to be entertained by the images to these oft heard recordings is unbelievable. When Paul looks teary eyed on the 13th when they can't reach John on the phone it makes me feel completely emotional instead of just hearing the awkward silence on previous bootlegs. Watching Paul discover his vision for the project continuously being taken away in Episode 2 is dramatic in it's own way. Watching Lennon switch between restlessly clowning around and being serious is something hard to look away from.

I mean, highlights are far too many to mention. I will be buying any blu-ray set of this that comes our way. This is truly an incredibly generous gift to us fans and surpasses any conception that I had previously of this project. So many wonderful surprises...
jpgrcat

Post by jpgrcat »

I think, John Lennon, stole the show

George came back in the 30 minute mark, &

Billy Preston enters in half way thru' & Jams,
& had a day off for a TV Show [Anyone know more on this, the TV Show??]

Later when Billy was doing his gig, John was talking about signing
Billy to Apple, & buy his Capitol Records catalog,
which they did according to one of the 1990's Booklets when the CD's first came out
Huge Beatles Fan & collector Anything Beatles/Solo related,

which includes NEMS, Apple, Dark Horse, Ring'O, & MPL Labels

Beach Boys/Related, & The Byrds/CSNY/Related..& many other acts
DrRobert

Post by DrRobert »

It was the Lulu show Billy Preston was away for.
I Am The Walrus

Post by I Am The Walrus »

In my opinion I think they could have included in this movie full performances of the songs at least the songs that were released, it would be very interesting to see that.
D-listener

Post by D-listener »

After listening to the bootlegs for so long, all those obsessive hours, to learn more about the band chemistry and enjoy the secrets of their creative process-those were the days... Part 2 was just the answer capturing their joy of creation and their friendship. It was just plain moving. I never thought these were the best tunes they have done but it just seemed like it was a hectic rush to get this project done. The line between Let it Be and Abbey Road seemed like a blurred line. The hidden mics, the long takes of faces showing subtle pain, anguish and self deprecating humor. This series is my dream come true. I did wonder what the casual fan thought but after watching part 2 I cared much more of what I learned. They were brothers to the end.
tymime

Post by tymime »

Is it me, or is this a previously unknown Epiphone bass??
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Post by WilliamShears »

Definitely enjoyed part 2 more than 1 and I think it’s a reflection of how the band was more into it. Part 1 will always reflect the “dull drum” attitude at Twickenham, and it’s accurate.

The cafeteria conversation between John and Paul was fascinating. The highlight to me of part 2 was Billy finding the chords of I Got A Feeling and everyone immediately perking up. It was like when Dorothy went to Oz and the movie switched to full color.

But why didn’t Glyn get everything set up at Apple during the unfilmed rehearsal day instead of waiting until the next filming day to work on all that??
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

tymime wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:31 pm Image
Is it me, or is this a previously unknown Epiphone bass??
Indeed it is….it’s difficult to tell which way it’s strung…the only time I’ve seen Paul play a Rivoli was in the rehearsal photos from the Come To Town film…and I don’t think that was his. Another thing of note…Paul’s 1st Hofner “Cavern” bass is right next to it in and this dispels the story about it being stolen when the left Twickenham for Apple(I believe I stated this in a previous post so I apologize if I am repeating myself)
greyratfromBZ

Post by greyratfromBZ »

When the Beatles get into the Apple studio they seem in a much better mood and they launched into a take of New Orleans - it sounded tight and rocking - "well c'mon everybody take a trip with me...." then it was cut after the first verse. How long did that take actually go on?? I have a hard time believing they just stopped - they seemed to be having fun.