Get Back: Part 2 - thoughts and reviews

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
jpgrcat

Re: Get Back: Part 2 - thoughts and reviews

Post by jpgrcat »

The Ending has 4 Tracks at the credits...Track 1 Blues Jam', not sure if in the Box set...The Walk & Billy's 'Without A Song' have slightly different mixes, & Love Me Do...Blew my mind...
Huge Beatles Fan & collector Anything Beatles/Solo related,

which includes NEMS, Apple, Dark Horse, Ring'O, & MPL Labels

Beach Boys/Related, & The Byrds/CSNY/Related..& many other acts
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Part 2 was great, lots of smiles and bonding. John comes out of his heroin coma only to go onto uppers instead. But it worked, same as it did in hamburg. With their leader back on track they are 1000% happier!

Makes you wonder how they ever could have split up. And how much great music they might still have had in them.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

One thing that surprised me in ep2 is how understanding Paul was about Yoko. The comments John came out with later about Paul looking at Yoko every time he sang Get Back now seem really misguided. Likewise, when Paul says "You're the boss... you've always been the boss." Paul would never have said that to any other person in the world. Despite all John's paranoia, it seems that the others were really very understanding. So different to the narrative we've been fed all these years.

What never fails to astound me is how they can sound so bad while they're working songs out, and then at some point it's like a switch is thrown and they just zoom up into the stratosphere. They go from awful to amazing in the blink of an eye. I can't think of a single other act that is like that. Other bands generally sound a lot more competent while in the early stages of songs, and they improve slightly after that, but they never make that quantum jump that the Beatles always make. Really interesting and unique.
beatlesondvd

Post by beatlesondvd »

greyratfromBZ wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:15 pm [T]hey launched into a take of New Orleans - it sounded tight and rocking - .... they seemed to be having fun.
Plus they seem to be re-creating a stage choreography of sorts from their Hamburg days. Watch George's moves!
Axkorecords

Post by Axkorecords »

Did anyone notice the Within You Without You outtake with Indian vocals? What is it? As it has the orchestra on it, could this be a guide vocal?
beatlesondvd

Post by beatlesondvd »

Axkorecords wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:13 pm Did anyone notice the Within You Without You outtake with Indian vocals? What is it? As it has the orchestra on it, could this be a guide vocal?
I think that's take 01, from the Sgt. Pepper Special Deluxe Edition (2017)
kieranjames

Post by kieranjames »

I think it was a shame that they cut out the banter between John and Peter Sellers. In the documentary Sellers comes across as stiff and uncomfortable - which he was when he was just being himself. What was cut out was John joking to him "Remember that grass I slipped you in Piccadilly?" At this point Sellers slips into American hipster guise and starts joking with the band "Gee fellas, I'm sorry I'm not holding right now. If I knew I was meeting you I would've brought some. I know how much you're into it."
The reference to syringes which they left in doesn't make much sense with the banter cut out.
I guess the drug references may have been cut due to it being on Disney.
plasticsoul

Post by plasticsoul »

I've only watched each episode once so will obviously have to rewatch more closely, but unless I imagined it, I'm fairly sure I saw clips of Paul's Rickenbacker bass in it's full psychedelic glory and then later in the sessions sanded back. Again, I could have imagined it as one or two drinks were onboard at this point, but maybe Paul had two Rick's or indeed it was sanded on a day off from the sessions. I always assumed he had the one..