Get Back: Part 1 - thoughts and reviews

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
kieranjames

Re: Get Back: Part 1 - thoughts and reviews

Post by kieranjames »

I loved the content of it but I hated the digitally de-grained picture quality. They used Digital Noise Reduction to such an extent that it looks like a moving digital painting to my eyes. It was almost like 'A Scanner Darkly' in some of the wide shots. Personally natural film grain doesn't bother me but this digital airbrushing does. It joins 'Help' and 'Magical Mystery Tour' in the worst official HD presentation of Beatles material imho. Criterion's 'A Hard Days Night' leaves the film grain intact and is all the better for it.
Leaving picture quality concerns aside, the actual content was even better than I hoped for.
Attachments
DNR.jpg
DNR.jpg (940.48 KiB) Viewed 1644 times
jpgrcat

Post by jpgrcat »

I watched the Video in Mov....Over all I loved it...Onr track was mixed with Japan '66 Track

I have no complaints...Jackson ended Vol 1, with George taking off which I thought was accurate

Looking for Vol-2, where Billy Preston enters the Picture
Huge Beatles Fan & collector Anything Beatles/Solo related,

which includes NEMS, Apple, Dark Horse, Ring'O, & MPL Labels

Beach Boys/Related, & The Byrds/CSNY/Related..& many other acts
beatlesondvd

Post by beatlesondvd »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:38 am I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but I have been reading some of the fan opinions on SHF throughout the day and am amused that some actual fans are saying that it should have been aimed more at the casual viewer.
I, for one, am not saying that, but there's something to be said about the casual fan. As I wrote earlier, if they turn out it droves, it opens the gates for more archival projects. If the series bombs, that will likely be the death of such projects.
beatlesondvd

Post by beatlesondvd »

kieranjames wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:57 am I hated the digitally de-grained picture quality. They used Digital Noise Reduction to such an extent that it looks like a moving digital painting to my eyes. It was almost like 'A Scanner Darkly' in some of the wide shots.
My thoughts exactly.
bri286

Post by bri286 »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:38 am I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but I have been reading some of the fan opinions on SHF throughout the day and am amused that some actual fans are saying that it should have been aimed more at the casual viewer. What?! Pardon me, but f**ck the casual viewer! We've had every Beatles project in living memory compromised by "the casual buyer". Finally, we have gotten our day in the sun, with these faceless entities finally given second place to us true fanatics. Water down our 8 hours so that they can slip it in between episodes of manalorian? No way! They can bloody well watch the entire eight hours! And if they don't like it, we'll force them to watch it over and over again until they do! :lol:
Quite so; I want to see all the footage too, and overall, I loved episode one for the picture and sound quality, all the new stuff and the much better contextualising of what we are watching, with important contributions from Michael L-H, Glyn, Mal and the unintentionally hilarious Dick James. Peter Jackson certainly didn't shy away from the tensions within the band, especially during Don't Let Me Down, contrary to the expectations of many.

However, given that this is the global release, not the "dedicated fans only" multi-Blu-Ray version, I can see how even serious fans might feel that parts of the first hour of episode one did start to drag. Vastly superior picture and sound quality aside, for me the major difference between this and the original film is that Get Back has something of a narrative, a framework giving the film a sense of direction and purpose, and while the second hour is very good in this respect, the latter stages of the first hour seemed a little superfluous (and have evidently already put some less-committed folks off).

Things did pick up considerably in the second hour, and we all know that things will get much better still in Savile Row, but it did feel as if I was watching a rough draft at times, rather than the finished article; many dozens of wonderful vignettes (SCITTBW, the birth of Get Back, Linda & Yoko, fascinating contributions from Mal and Glyn, etc.) but strangely coupled with some jumpy snatches of songs and long periods of not-entirely-crucial dialogue, perhaps to pad out the Twickenham footage so that George's departure (and the band's reaction) would fit at the very end of the episode.

(Is it just me, or does the AI - excellent with stationary or slow-moving subjects - seem to have particular problems with fast dialogue images? The speaker's lips rarely seem to be in sync with the image, although the body language suggests that it's the correct footage. Just an observation.)
kieranjames

Post by kieranjames »

bri286 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:47 am (Is it just me, or does the AI - excellent with stationary or slow-moving subjects - seem to have particular problems with fast dialogue images? The speaker's lips rarely seem to be in sync with the image, although the body language suggests that it's the correct footage. Just an observation.)
I think a lot of what you're noticing there isn't down to AI but to the fact that there wasn't complete footage to go with a lot of interesting dialogue so they cleverly faked it by inserting shots from other points in time to fill the gaps. Sometimes it worked better than others but it was the best solution to that problem. For instance during a group conversation, I noticed what I think are inserts of close ups of Ringo from when he is actually sitting with Paul at the piano on the second day (as seen at the start of Let It Be).
stereoman33

Post by stereoman33 »

1) some of these days in part one can really drag on a lot.
before the first hour I was getting exhausted.

2) great to see the start of get back...watching Paul compose a classic out of thin air,,

3) I was waiting for the band to shut Michael Lindsay Hog up,I think John might have told him to sod off,
but that guy just doesn't stop being annoying.With his endless requests to play in Libya and endless questions.
he really just needed to leave the band alone.
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:38 am I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but I have been reading some of the fan opinions on SHF throughout the day and am amused that some actual fans are saying that it should have been aimed more at the casual viewer. What?! Pardon me, but f**ck the casual viewer! We've had every Beatles project in living memory compromised by "the casual buyer". Finally, we have gotten our day in the sun, with these faceless entities finally given second place to us true fanatics. Water down our 8 hours so that they can slip it in between episodes of manalorian? No way! They can bloody well watch the entire eight hours! And if they don't like it, we'll force them to watch it over and over again until they do! :lol:
I’m firmly with the Lord on this one. Casual fans can take a hike and leave us to savor this…
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

True open-mindedness is merely a state of vulnerability!
And, thus...
I learned a lot from the first segment.
First, It's seems symbolic that the color-wheel projections on the soundstage interior never came through on the original Let It Be movie!
And, it only gets worse from there. Michael Lindsay Hogg may very well been the wrong choice. I couldn't bear the discourse with Ringo..."I love you...we'll get married". What may resemble silent footage is ANY shot of George Martin. And, why ANY mention of Alex Mardas? I think it is safe to say that this Beatles project needed guidance but had none. If this movie had begun itself at EMI Studios...this would have been a much more fearsome soundtrack...BUT, we can now understand that all four Beatles showed up unprepared. George Harrison unwittingly beats McCartney at his own game. This movie will no doubt be saved by Super-Paul's 'Mother Mary' and Long And Winding Road. In reality, NOBODY will suggest the obvious...the material that they brought to Twickenham just wasn't up to the standards of ANY previous BEATLES project. Why they thought they could 'get back' is beyond me! Had they ever actually recorded for mono mixing on twin-track machines? However, it was nice to see that they set up a control room at Twickenham. I am beginning to think that Allen Klein might even show up at the end. So far, the only soundtrack seems to sound like cash registers being opened and closed. I think this movie will end with Phil Spector being deified for knowing EXACTLY what was in the box of Nagra reels. I can hardly wait for Teddy Boy!
Go, Phil! Rah-rah-rah!!!
KC
snrub

Post by snrub »

beatlesondvd wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:25 am As I wrote earlier, if they turn out it droves, it opens the gates for more archival projects. If the series bombs, that will likely be the death of such projects.
Great point, PJ mentioned public demand on the TWST podcast when discussing whether Disney would green light an extended blu-ray.

I'd love to see him work on their entire video archive. I wonder what would happen if he was given all the MMT outtakes for example, would he be able to edit it into something more enjoyable or would it basically be (much) more of the same?