Get Back: Part 1 - thoughts and reviews

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Ziggy C

Re: Get Back: Part 1 - thoughts and reviews

Post by Ziggy C »

I've downloaded the first two parts but have not watched yet. I am a bit hesitant as this was a period in their career, the winter of their discontent, which sees them not only apart, but not really coming together. I have the image of Let It Be so deeply burned into my psyche, I suppose, that it may be difficult to see otherwise. I appreciate PJ's effort to put things into better perspective for all time; not necessarily to liven things up, rather to paint a more complete portrait. The overall focus of the individuals formerly known as The Beatles has been well documented over time. I consider their dissolution to have occurred shortly before they went to Rishikesh.

I will probably attempt to watch part one tonight. If that goes well, on to part two.
greyratfromBZ

Post by greyratfromBZ »

I watched pt. 1 yesterday. My wife watched too. She is barely a very very casual fan - i don't think she can name more than 3 albums. I think she liked the intro part and asked about Epstein. She mentioned they could of really used a good manager during the get back sessions and "they don't seem very supportive of each other". I have to agree.
The live show ideas is like herding cats - the ideas being tossed around and constantly changing. MLH - wants this grand venue - that never really gets off the ground, and he doesn't want to let that go. Lennon gets excited about the possibility of playing in a plastic see thru box - which he must of liked the artistic concept of the plastic boxes as can be seen on the POB adverts, but really just a far out idea.
George seems content to do some type of acoustic show (which would of been cool). They all seem to want "fast numbers" as they keep lamenting that their own songs are too slow. Maybe they felt a Beatles show had to have a good amount of rockers?? Paul rather slickly - actually whips one up with Get Back. John doesn't have a lot of material - and the one he keeps taking a stab at Don't Let Me Down is labeled "corny" and not very good lyrics by Paul - which just surprises me - almost as much as my wife making it thru all 2.5 hours.
I was enchanted. A lot of the stereotyped story lines do ring true - Paul does come across as a bit bossy, John is a bit disengaged and bored, George wants a new and more creatively open environment. They look like they needed a break from being Beatles.
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

I’m actually impressed at the number of friends I have who are casual fans (if I can even call them that) who enjoyed part one. That made me happy. What I have seen of part two is a lot of fun, especially once Billy turns up. I think Jackson has used the footage to craft a compelling story. What an incredible treat. Yet another thing, like the deluxe sets, that I never thought I’d love to see. This is the Golden Age of Beatles releases.
Jukka

Post by Jukka »

By having seen the first two (1&2) parts.
I'd like to thank Peter Jackson and the team for wonderful work.
This is far better than "Let It Be" movie.
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:38 am I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but I have been reading some of the fan opinions on SHF throughout the day and am amused that some actual fans are saying that it should have been aimed more at the casual viewer. What?! Pardon me, but f**ck the casual viewer! We've had every Beatles project in living memory compromised by "the casual buyer". Finally, we have gotten our day in the sun, with these faceless entities finally given second place to us true fanatics. Water down our 8 hours so that they can slip it in between episodes of manalorian? No way! They can bloody well watch the entire eight hours! And if they don't like it, we'll force them to watch it over and over again until they do! :lol:
Just tossing out an amen to the good Lord’s truth. Casual fans be dammed. This is for us. People enjoy a good binge watch and some of my non-Beatle fan friends (not hostile mom-fans but might own one record) times in and found it compelling enough that they plan to watch it all. Mission accomplished Peter J.
CooperCat

Post by CooperCat »

Can you imagine what John and Paul could have accomplished if George wasn't such a wet blanket all the time ? Hell, Pink Floyd played Pompeii a couple of years later and the Dead played the Pyramids. I've really come to see George as a Debbie Downer.
CooperCat

Post by CooperCat »

Ziggy C wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:23 pm I've downloaded the first two parts but have not watched yet. I am a bit hesitant as this was a period in their career, the winter of their discontent, which sees them not only apart, but not really coming together. I have the image of Let It Be so deeply burned into my psyche, I suppose, that it may be difficult to see otherwise. I appreciate PJ's effort to put things into better perspective for all time; not necessarily to liven things up, rather to paint a more complete portrait. The overall focus of the individuals formerly known as The Beatles has been well documented over time. I consider their dissolution to have occurred shortly before they went to Rishikesh.

I will probably attempt to watch part one tonight. If that goes well, on to part two.
Now I'm the direct opposite, and I'll tell you why.
I was born December 1962. I grew up with the Beatles in my home. I was spinning records myself before I could read. I went by the Capitol labels, album covers and single picture sleeves. But my mother didn't buy Revolver through Let It Be (except Abbey Road and The Beatles Again). I had to discover all that stuff when I turned 12. We had all the singles though. Never missed a single release. So one day I'm outside a friends house, and his older sister plays side 2 of Let It Be. I heard I've Got A Feeling and One After 909 for the first time, and I was blown away!! When I heard The Long And Winding Road, I knew it was the Beatles. So I had to run out and buy it.

Fast forward a couple of years, and I'm hanging out in Greenwich Village. The 8th Street Playhouse, right next to Electric Ladyland Studios, had weekend long Beatle marathons showing videos like Hey Jude and Revolution, Ed Sullivan Shows, Australia, Around The Beatles, Wash DC, Tokyo. EVERYTHING except the movies. But they closed the nights with the Let It Be movie, and I loved it!! Let It Be also was the core of Beatle bootlegs in the 70's. So all those things combined make Let It Be hold a special place in my Beatles story. The movie, the bootlegs, and how I discovered the album. So I love this period.

For me, the original movie can't be beat. It's part of The Beatles story, and you can't change one bit of it.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

CooperCat wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:19 pm
Now I'm the direct opposite, and I'll tell you why.
I was born December 1962. I grew up with the Beatles in my home. I was spinning records myself before I could read. I went by the Capitol labels, album covers and single picture sleeves. But my mother didn't buy Revolver through Let It Be (except Abbey Road and The Beatles Again). I had to discover all that stuff when I turned 12. We had all the singles though. Never missed a single release. So one day I'm outside a friends house, and his older sister plays side 2 of Let It Be. I heard I've Got A Feeling and One After 909 for the first time, and I was blown away!! When I heard The Long And Winding Road, I knew it was the Beatles. So I had to run out and buy it.

Fast forward a couple of years, and I'm hanging out in Greenwich Village. The 8th Street Playhouse, right next to Electric Ladyland Studios, had weekend long Beatle marathons showing videos like Hey Jude and Revolution, Ed Sullivan Shows, Australia, Around The Beatles, Wash DC, Tokyo. EVERYTHING except the movies. But they closed the nights with the Let It Be movie, and I loved it!! Let It Be also was the core of Beatle bootlegs in the 70's. So all those things combined make Let It Be hold a special place in my Beatles story. The movie, the bootlegs, and how I discovered the album. So I love this period.

For me, the original movie can't be beat. It's part of The Beatles story, and you can't change one bit of it.
I was born in '65. Likewise, my folks played the heck out of the Capitol albums. My first memory of hearing rock music is "Help!" Let It Be, I've seen many times. There's certainly some decent material. In fact, "One After 909" and "I've Got A Feeling" are two of the three collaborative tunes on that album. Remnants of the Lennon/McCartney partnership are certainly recognizable in those tunes. I was lucky a few years ago and received an invite to a showing of the original cut of Let It Be at a private screening in the valley. The gentleman has the rights to show it once a year. It is in the correct screen ratio, and in-sync. That was certainly an experience, despite (for me) the film being a downer. Of the first Beatle Bootlegs I ever owned, I still treasure The Black Album, which I bought at Disc-Connection in Westwood in 1980. I've listened to pretty much all of A/B Road, even though (for me) its kind a long slog.

I appreciate and respect the love that people have for The Beatles. We all have our favorite eras and albums. My favorite album is Revolver. Next is Rubber Soul. We all have memories with which we can pinpoint who we were and what we were doing when we heard this song/album or that. And I can spend hours discussing The Beatles. The only artist that comes close as far as my interest goes is Jimi Hendrix.

I'll watch the new iteration. It is my hope that on the BR release we get to see the uncut rooftop concert.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

CooperCat wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:57 pm Can you imagine what John and Paul could have accomplished if George wasn't such a wet blanket all the time ? Hell, Pink Floyd played Pompeii a couple of years later and the Dead played the Pyramids. I've really come to see George as a Debbie Downer.
Sorry to hit you up again, CC....

This is probably the funniest Debbie Downer segment. It's also the first.

The cast is totally laughing and breaking character, mainly because they had not yet performed it live, nor heard the "Womp Womps." Horatio Sanz, at one point, is dabbing his tears with a waffle off his plate.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I've set aside my Saturday afternoon to watch part one. Huzzah!