Get Back: Part 1 - thoughts and reviews

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
MarkRJones1970

Re: Get Back: Part 1 - thoughts and reviews

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

I can't imagine this comment from George went down too well with John when they were trying to work out Don't Let Me Down:
A few days later George plays I, Me, Mine for the 1st time and John, who's listening, says this while patting him on the head.
I imagine that would have gone down like a lead balloon!
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

After watching Part 1, I am looking forward to the middle and end. It is typical PJ to create a break between the first two parts right as George bails. I am happy to finally see the additional footage which certainly shows that all was not glum. There's a lot of goofing around and lighter moments. I am also glad that the "conversation" between George and Paul is finally presented in its proper context. Certainly not a high point in the sessions. But I get, I think, a more complete picture of the tension between the two. "You don't annoy me anymore," says it all.

The unwelcome visit of Dick James is another moment I was not expecting. It's clear that Paul wants nothing to do with him, even though he seems to be cheerfully reminiscing through the vast catalog of oldies, including his and John's. The discussion about sheet music becoming a hot ticket item. I could see the dollar signs going through Paul's head, as in, he wasn't going to see any of that money.

One thing, though, that perhaps was intentional, perhaps not. A lot of the footage seems woefully out of synch, or simply is not the same take as the audio. I expected this, per the disclaimer at the start of the film. But it gets distracting.

Overall, I am enjoying this experience greatly. An excellent film.
Gredel21

Post by Gredel21 »

Some things about the Get Back project

Shows you that the Beatles are still relevant after 50+ years

1. finally seeing the footage of the audio tapes " We " have heard for years ie: Commonwealth,Enoch Powell etc.
2. Wish there was less introduction footage and more " Twickenham " footage
3. Even though we do know the outcome - interesting way to leave a cliff hanger of Part 1
4. What took them ie Apple Corp so long to get this project off the ground
( Was it the Beatles who were stalling - not wanting fans to see behind the scenes )
5.Glad that Paul,Ringo,Olivia,and Yoko approved of the project

Now for the Dvd's to come out
snrub

Post by snrub »

MarkRJones1970 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:29 am A few days later George plays I, Me, Mine for the 1st time and John, who's listening, says this while patting him on the head.
I always read that John dismissed "I Me Mine" by waltzing instead of playing, but to see him pat George on the head and say this was much worse. I suppose payback for what George said about "Don't Let Me Down" but wow what a patronizing dismissal.

I also keep reading (even now), that the band not taking "All Things Must Pass" seriously was one of the final straws for George, but they did rehearse numerous takes and even added harmonies to it. Sure they never finished it, but I don't recall anyone besmirching the song. Did I miss something?