Four Hours with Peter Jackson on Things We Said Today

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
jackb

Re: Four Hours with Peter Jackson on Things We Said Today

Post by jackb »

Peter mentioned that the day George quit there was a crisis at his home (or something to that effect). Anyone have ideas as to what he was referring to?

Jack
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Post by WilliamShears »

My recollection is that George had another woman staying at his place during the first part of the sessions and Patti was not particularly happy with that situation…I don’t recall where I heard that though.
beatlesondvd

Post by beatlesondvd »

Patti wrote in her autobiography that George was sleeping with a French woman in their own home, and that she (Patti) finally confronted him over it.
paul62

Post by paul62 »

darth9neo wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:52 am I don't normally promote my podcast (Things We Said Today) here, but this week we had Peter Jackson as a guest, and he provides a lot of great information - as well as two clips demonstrating MAL, the new AI-based demixing software his company is using. Astonishing -- instruments and voices separated with no artefacts, no faint sounds of the stuff that was eliminated, etc. He also shows us video, from his iPad, of the film and soundtrack material as he received them.

Strangely, he approached us rather than the more usual other way around. And he said, no time limit -- and spoke to us for four hours. Anyway, here's the episode description and the link:

In Episode 355 of Things We Said Today, Ken Michaels, Allan Kozinn and Darren DeVivo interview Peter Jackson, the director of “The Beatles: Get Back” – the most anticipated Beatles project since “The Beatles Anthology,” in 1995. Mr. Jackson is also, of course, the director of the “Lord of the Rings” and “Hobbit” trilogies, and the extraordinary World War I documentary, “They Shall Not Grow Old.” And true to form, the master of film epics spent no less than FOUR HOURS with us. Included is lots of new information about the film and the techniques Mr. Jackson used to make it – including demonstrations of his new AI-based audio system (MAL), which goes far beyond spectral technology in separating layers of sound within a mono recording. Lots of talk as well about the Nagra tapes, Michael Lindsay-Hogg, the power dynamic within the Beatles during the making of “Let It Be,” and other topics – and a number of mysteries Mr. Jackson still wants to get to the bottom of.
Allan, this was a very enjoyable and hearty meal to have a day or so before the docuseries banquet!!

As Peter Jackson says in the podcast, Apple approached him first, to tap him for his ideas and expertise on virtual reality: don't know if they plan on doing something similar to what ABBA is doing with virtual reality concerts et cetera. I think Peter might end up being the new Ron Furmanek with the Beatles film archive. Maybe he could rebuild Anthology from the ground up, get all available footage for "Magical Mystery Tour" and make a better film out of that? Maybe he might end up using "deep fake" technology and make a version of "Lord Of The Rings" with voices that sound like each of the group members (he could use voices that sound like each of the group members for "Yellow Submarine")?
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
simond9X

Post by simond9X »

Nothing to add other than my thanks for sharing a wonderful 4 hours you spent chatting with Peter. It makes a great companion piece for the 8 hour docuseries. I hope you'll do a follow-up with him in a few weeks' time when we've all had time to digest it.
Tex

Post by Tex »

beatlesondvd wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:16 am Patti wrote in her autobiography that George was sleeping with a French woman in their own home, and that she (Patti) finally confronted him over it.
Piece and love.... and another piece and more love.
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Post by WilliamShears »

darth9neo wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:52 am
In Episode 355 of Things We Said Today, Ken Michaels, Allan Kozinn and Darren DeVivo interview Peter Jackson, the director of “The Beatles: Get Back” – the most anticipated Beatles project since “The Beatles Anthology,” in 1995. Mr. Jackson is also, of course, the director of the “Lord of the Rings” and “Hobbit” trilogies, and the extraordinary World War I documentary, “They Shall Not Grow Old.” And true to form, the master of film epics spent no less than FOUR HOURS with us. Included is lots of new information about the film and the techniques Mr. Jackson used to make it – including demonstrations of his new AI-based audio system (MAL), which goes far beyond spectral technology in separating layers of sound within a mono recording. Lots of talk as well about the Nagra tapes, Michael Lindsay-Hogg, the power dynamic within the Beatles during the making of “Let It Be,” and other topics – and a number of mysteries Mr. Jackson still wants to get to the bottom of.

Hi darth9neo & co:

When the time comes for the follow up that PJ offered, if you like, please start a thread where members here can offer up questions that you can take to the discussion. It would be great to hear him answer some questions direct from the bdb asylum!
fabwill

Post by fabwill »

WilliamShears wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:04 pm
Hi darth9neo & co:

When the time comes for the follow up that PJ offered, if you like, please start a thread where members here can offer up questions that you can take to the discussion. It would be great to hear him answer some questions direct from the bdb asylum!
Here are my questions for PJ:
- First - thank you so much, this was wonderful
- Did Get Back fulfil whatever commercial expectations Apple and Disney had?
- Is there any Apple/Disney appetite for similar projects based on say the Maysles brothers footage? Or an updated Anthology?
- One of the incredible things about the film is how many Beatles-circle people drop by. Even Allen Klein is an off-camera participant. Why does Allan Williams get a tiny bit of screen time, but no namecheck?
- There's very little footage used of Yoko. Why? Nagra tape listeners will know she was more involved.
- Did Kevin Harrington really not utter a word on camera?
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Please just say THANK YOU! He brought John, George & everyone else who has passed who show up in the film back to life for us momentarily and gave us the best new Beatles release since the original 'Let It Be' in 1970.
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK