Four Hours with Peter Jackson on Things We Said Today

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Re: Four Hours with Peter Jackson on Things We Said Today

Post by WilliamShears »

ashwom1 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:12 pm Interesting though that Jackson says there was no dialogue between himself, John Harris writing the Get Back book, and Giles Martin making the Let It Be box set about what had to be included. This kind of debunks a lot of the comments Giles has made about not including such and such because it works better on film (the rooftop being the prime example).
Yeah I thought about this too and while there may not have been a formal collaboration where they split the various content among them, I’m sure word got around about what the others were working on and thinking.

From Giles standpoint, if he had a restriction on disk count or content length, and found out that PJ was going to include the full rooftop show, it’s an easy decision for him to exclude it (and I’m on record here agreeing with that decision since it’s no issue for those who want to convert the video to audio).

I think it’s more a reflection about how hands off the boys really are at this point on the reissues. They trust their teams and let them do what they want with what seems like very little oversight or instruction.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

While the separation demo was really impressive, the thing that impressed me the most was "If there's anything you especially want to see in an extended cut let me know and I'll try to put it in."

FINALLY SOMEBODY IS LISTENING TO US!

Great to have someone working on a Beatles project who is more than just a casual fan.
sam004

Post by sam004 »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:37 am While the separation demo was really impressive, the thing that impressed me the most was "If there's anything you especially want to see in an extended cut let me know and I'll try to put it in."

FINALLY SOMEBODY IS LISTENING TO US!

Great to have someone working on a Beatles project who is more than just a casual fan.
Maybe Giles could learn a thing or two from PJ.
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

I was slightly disappointed when PJ said that we wouldn’t be getting a studio take of One After 909…that’s what’s being played in one of those 60 minutes clips…
tulirepo

Post by tulirepo »

this list is a great find! actually, we knew of it, sort of. john recites most of it during the last performance of Dig It (29.39). He starts reading this list at 3:24 into the song and repeats it twice with slight variations in the alternate titles. Another interesting detail is when Peter says, that John crossed Across The Universe out because it was to be on an EP. Peter thinks John must have been wrong and that he meant an LP. Not necessarily. Maybe John hinted at the never-to-be-released Yellow Submarine-EP that was to have ATU on it?
Attachments
Get Back Songlist.jpg
Get Back Songlist.jpg (67.14 KiB) Viewed 1770 times
Last edited by tulirepo on Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
beatlesondvd

Post by beatlesondvd »

I was re-watching the final episode of "The Beatles Anthology" last night, and I suddenly realized it isn't John that Paul is looking at when he's at the piano, playing 'Let It Be' and 'The Long and Winding Road' in the 31 January clips. John is seated against the piano, out of Paul's view. Does anyone know who Paul is engaging with, then? I don't think it's George either. Billy, maybe?
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

tulirepo wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:12 am this list is a great find! actually, we knew of it, sort of. john recites most of it during the last performance of Dig It (29.39). He starts reading this list at 3:24 into the song and repeats it twice with slight variations in the alternate titles. Another interesting detail is when Peter says, that John crossed Across The Universe out because it was to be on an EP. Peter thinks John must have been wrong and that he meant an LP. Not necessarily. Maybe John hinted at the never-to-be-released Yellow Submarine-EP that was to have ATU on it?
He had to be referring to the planned Yellow Submarine EP. What a great interview…Highly educational!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I was really touched by the idea that he wanted to put in There You Are Eddie and got footage of Eddie and Tiger from paul and Ringo. I'd really like to see that one!
darth9neo

Post by darth9neo »

[/quote]

Well, said. I had stayed up ultra late last night listening to this. And, it was that point I literally cheered him on doing what he did. And, if you notice. When, he said what Disney said about extended versions. One of the presenters literally had his face buried in his hands as if to say "Are you f*cking kidding me?"
[/quote]

That was me!
darth9neo

Post by darth9neo »

mikec -- Where there was a cut and a crossfade, it was generally something like, one of us started to ask a question at the same time as someone else, or there was a noise. I didn't trim out any exclusive information -- the only parts of the discussion I cut were, toward the end, he asked us when we were going to watch it, and on what equipment. It seemed to me that no-one would care about that (I mean, it's us, not him). Also during the Castle of the King of the Birds/Top Gun discussion, he said, "listen to those after we're finished and let me know what you think." Instead, I inserted the music and left his interesting facial comment, trimming out the "listen to it..." part. That's really all the trims were.