Four Hours with Peter Jackson on Things We Said Today

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
darth9neo

Four Hours with Peter Jackson on Things We Said Today

Post by darth9neo »

I don't normally promote my podcast (Things We Said Today) here, but this week we had Peter Jackson as a guest, and he provides a lot of great information - as well as two clips demonstrating MAL, the new AI-based demixing software his company is using. Astonishing -- instruments and voices separated with no artefacts, no faint sounds of the stuff that was eliminated, etc. He also shows us video, from his iPad, of the film and soundtrack material as he received them.

Strangely, he approached us rather than the more usual other way around. And he said, no time limit -- and spoke to us for four hours. Anyway, here's the episode description and the link:

In Episode 355 of Things We Said Today, Ken Michaels, Allan Kozinn and Darren DeVivo interview Peter Jackson, the director of “The Beatles: Get Back” – the most anticipated Beatles project since “The Beatles Anthology,” in 1995. Mr. Jackson is also, of course, the director of the “Lord of the Rings” and “Hobbit” trilogies, and the extraordinary World War I documentary, “They Shall Not Grow Old.” And true to form, the master of film epics spent no less than FOUR HOURS with us. Included is lots of new information about the film and the techniques Mr. Jackson used to make it – including demonstrations of his new AI-based audio system (MAL), which goes far beyond spectral technology in separating layers of sound within a mono recording. Lots of talk as well about the Nagra tapes, Michael Lindsay-Hogg, the power dynamic within the Beatles during the making of “Let It Be,” and other topics – and a number of mysteries Mr. Jackson still wants to get to the bottom of.

Last edited by darth9neo on Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Re: Four Hours with Peter Jackson on Things We Said Today

Post by WilliamShears »

Love the podcast and can’t wait to listen to this one. Thanks for sharing!
Phil_Lip

Post by Phil_Lip »

Looks great - Can't wait to give it a listen.
Most of my links are to OneDrive. However, OneDrive does impose a download limit and when this is reached displays a message that the files are deleted or have expired. Leave it a while and try again later.
Mrbeatleg

Post by Mrbeatleg »

thanks for sharing
Steve J

Post by Steve J »

Thanks for sharing. I've only heard the first 10 minutes, but already it sounds fantastic and informative.
darth9neo

Post by darth9neo »

The demonstration of Mr. Jackson's "Mal" system for demixing mono recordings is at around 1'20" for anyone who wants to skip ahead. But pretty much everything he said over the four hours was pretty illuminating.
sam004

Post by sam004 »

thanks
beatlesondvd

Post by beatlesondvd »

Great interview! I'm soooo looking forward to watching eight hours of unseen footage of the Beatles in the studio!
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

That was sure fascinating!
Last edited by mojofilter on Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
datters

Post by datters »

Thank you. :)