Lewisohn's "Tune In" extended?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
billychildish

Lewisohn's "Tune In" extended?

Post by billychildish »

I have a chance to get Mark Lewisohn's "Tune In" extended edition at a pretty decent price, any reviews on this?
bobzilla

Re: Lewisohn's "Tune In" extended?

Post by bobzilla »

Buy it!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

No, the short one is a far better read. The long one has all the background of their ancestors and people like Larry Parnes which I found very dull.
beatlesondvd

Post by beatlesondvd »

It all depends on what you're looking for.

Lewisohn makes his research extremely accessible. I remember enthusing back then that I had already read eighty pages and wasn't even up to 1940! I haven't read the short version, but the extended one has detailed info on George Martin and Brian Epstein's backgrounds (or "origin stories", as the Marvelettes say these days), and on the record industry (and its key players) in the late 1950s and very early 1960s.

Fascinating stuff.
Last edited by beatlesondvd on Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:34 am No, the short one is a far better read. The long one has all the background of their ancestors and people like Larry Parnes which I found very dull.
I just skipped the ancestors section, kinda boring indeed for those interested in the music era.

Billy - if the price is OK, go for it.
Somnar

Post by Somnar »

Definitely get it. Just finished reading it for a second time - it's brilliant.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I could maybe read it again now that I've read the shorter more focused one. The first time I just wanted to get to the meat of the matter and was annoyed by the constant diversions.
innergroove

Post by innergroove »

I've been listening to audio book of what I presume is the extended version (plenty of stuff about their ancestors etc). I listen in bed as a go to sleep, so I'm often asleep before I reach the end of each mp3. But I'm going through it all for about the third time now, so I've pretty much heard it all.
Yes, there are some tediously overlong sections, but I have learnt a lot and have found a lot it extremely fascinating.
I live in Liverpool, literally yards from Gambier Terrace, the Art College, the Institute, so find the chapters based around these locations particularly interesting. I walk in the same footsteps every time I leave the house.
I used to have a mate who lived at 3 Gambier Terrace, so know what the building looks like inside. I've been in the Art College several times, and did a music course at LIPA (formally The Institute). When I was in a band years ago, we played at both the Blue Angel and the Jacuaranda.
Listening to the audiobook I feel like I'm right there with them, as these locations are so familiar to me.
Lon Chaney III

Post by Lon Chaney III »

We still got a wait for volume 2 in the series. Originally he was looking to have it published in 2020 but in 2018 he said it was way too early to say when volume 2 would be published. A while back in an interview he said that it would be 2023 at the earliest, so who knows? The 3rd volume was going to be published in 2028, 2038 may be more like it.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I can understand his predicament, because he's probably getting a constant influx of new material and facts which necessitates a rewrite of some sections. I feel this way when I'm doing my big projects, and there comes a point where you've just got to draw a line.

Who was it that said "great works of art are never completed, they are just abandoned"?
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene