For You Blue [69-L 70-R]

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
RubberSolof

Re: For You Blue [69-L 70-R]

Post by RubberSolof »

7. FOR YOU BLUE
SHM JAPAN: 1969 MIX with George's original vocal recorded in 1969.
EUROPEAN ROW: 1969 MIX (00:01- 00:14 from a different source with much more “hiss” noise than the Japanese version) + 1970 MIX (00:15- 02:54), with the vocal overdub of George from 1970, different in several verses combined with the 1969 vocal.

now somewhere I read a detailed study of the differences... but I can't seem to find it now... The hunt is on tho.

-RubberSolof
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

LR, good point! The whole month could be seen as a rehearsal for the last few days, so Glyn could have just focused there (unless the brief was still "warts and all").

Walrus, pop on a pair of headphones. The new mix is like a Beatle burger – the top and bottom buns are different but the meat patty in the middle is the same.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

alphabeatles wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:53 am LR, good point! The whole month could be seen as a rehearsal for the last few days, so Glyn could have just focused there (unless the brief was still "warts and all").
I think you can see that in the LIB film. The first part of the movie is painfully dull and depressing, and then the last half hour is pure gold. It's amazing to me that GJ only used one performance from those two days on the album (909). It needed to be a double album, with the finished takes on disc 2!
Beatles4you

Post by Beatles4you »

Last edited by Beatles4you on Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bri286

Post by bri286 »

Absolutely right - the components of an excellent and complete album were right there in front of Glyn, but he chose to stick with his early, unfinished, takes - even when he had the chance to rethink the whole project in January 1970! Maybe he was simply the wrong man for this particular job.

Having had his previous version rejected, one would have thought that he might have addressed the album's many and various issues, but instead, he merely added ATU and the newly-recorded IMM, deleted TB, and tinkered with the rest. No wonder the Jan 70 version was also rejected - but there was absolutely no need for that to have happened had he applied himself, gone through the songs track by track, and simply picked the best takes.

The "Get Back" single was a good example of how to get the best from the tapes - as we know, both GB and DLMD were composites of two separate takes, edited together in best early '60's style (I've never established if these were created by Big George Martin or by Glyn, but I assume the former), and so any similar issues with other material could have been remedied in the same way.

I was rather hoping that the new box set might have addressed this, with the right takes of the right songs (no busking, so no Maggie Mae, no I'm Ready / Save The Last Dance), Glyn's regular-length Dig It, etc. - but sadly, we'll have to do that ourselves...although doubtless we'll not agree on everything!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

bri286 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:07 am Absolutely right - the components of an excellent and complete album were right there in front of Glyn, but he chose to stick with his early, unfinished, takes - even when he had the chance to rethink the whole project in January 1970! Maybe he was simply the wrong man for this particular job.
Maybe the Fabs should have conveyed their reservations to him more forcefully. It seems a shame that they bit their tongues and just kept shelving the album throughout 1969, only for John to come out later and say he thought the album was "shit". If he'd known they were unhappy with the rough nature of it he might have done a complete rethink in 1970.

Geez, all this LIB talk has me wetting myself for Jackson's tv series. This is the most exciting thing since Anthology.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

bri286 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:07 am I was rather hoping that the new box set might have addressed this, with the right takes of the right songs (no busking, so no Maggie Mae, no I'm Ready / Save The Last Dance), Glyn's regular-length Dig It, etc. - but sadly, we'll have to do that ourselves...although doubtless we'll not agree on everything!
Yeah we could have made our own any time in the last few years I guess but it will be great now to be able to make a perfect VIDEO album of LIB, with all the material from the final two days, plus For You Blue and I Me Mine. The feature film is not much use for this because the rooftop has too much footage of the public and FYB and IMM are incomplete.
stereoman33

Post by stereoman33 »

bri286 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:07 am Absolutely right - the components of an excellent and complete album were right there in front of Glyn, but he chose to stick with his early, unfinished, takes - even when he had the chance to rethink the whole project in January 1970! Maybe he was simply the wrong man for this particular job.

Having had his previous version rejected, one would have thought that he might have addressed the album's many and various issues, but instead, he merely added ATU and the newly-recorded IMM, deleted TB, and tinkered with the rest. No wonder the Jan 70 version was also rejected - but there was absolutely no need for that to have happened had he applied himself, gone through the songs track by track, and simply picked the best takes.

The "Get Back" single was a good example of how to get the best from the tapes - as we know, both GB and DLMD were composites of two separate takes, edited together in best early '60's style (I've never established if these were created by Big George Martin or by Glyn, but I assume the former), and so any similar issues with other material could have been remedied in the same way.

I was rather hoping that the new box set might have addressed this, with the right takes of the right songs (no busking, so no Maggie Mae, no I'm Ready / Save The Last Dance), Glyn's regular-length Dig It, etc. - but sadly, we'll have to do that ourselves...although doubtless we'll not agree on everything!
I have a book of transcribed BBC interviews with famous record producers and in Glyn's interview he says that he did the get back and let it be singles himself and that they were the only things he did that came out..
he also said that he much as he hates Spector's mix, he finds the film to be worse because a directive from Alan Klein meant that all the scenes had to have a beatle in them,
I was tempted to transcribe the let it be section of his interview and post it here, but it is very long.
Oleg Vostyakov

Post by Oleg Vostyakov »

Beatles4you wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:45 am Well from Paul Gongola at Hoffman forum ...

For You Blue [69-L 70-R]

"So, I've had a huge amount to say on this box set, the quality, what's included, the period of the band, etc. And then I pop in here and end up reading pages upon pages of comments, which sparks more comments I want to make and I never do anything about it. I get overwhelmed. Beatle threads are hard...
And well, one of the things I was going to post in my comments (when the subject was a little more relevant) was a file of "For You Blue" with the Glyn Johns 1969 mix on the left and the Glyn Johns 1970 mix on the right in sync, so people could hear the difference in the vocal. (It's actually not the 'real' 1970 mix, it's the mostly 1970 mix from the box set... which adds the edited false start back in). - And since I will never get around to all my comments and I figure it's better late than never, here it is:
"

Expérience yourself ...

[url]hxxps://we.tl/t-h1HMyKta8e[/url]
Thnx alot! Interesting experince of listening!
Scores on The Beatles music- https://musescore.com/artist/the_beatles-129358
The program of training me as a musician: https://musescore.com/courses/music-composition
jpgrcat

Post by jpgrcat »

stereoman33 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:48 am

I have a book of transcribed BBC interviews with famous record producers and in Glyn's interview he says that he did the get back and let it be singles himself and that they were the only things he did that came out..
he also said that he much as he hates Spector's mix, he finds the film to be worse because a directive from Alan Klein meant that all the scenes had to have a beatle in them,
I was tempted to transcribe the let it be section of his interview and post it here, but it is very long.

There should be a Sound Recording With Glyn Johns at the BBC or the Interviewer...Somewhere....
Huge Beatles Fan & collector Anything Beatles/Solo related,

which includes NEMS, Apple, Dark Horse, Ring'O, & MPL Labels

Beach Boys/Related, & The Byrds/CSNY/Related..& many other acts