Wrong Masters for the ‘Glyn Johns 1969 Mix’, and Japan came to rescue.

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
jpgrcat

Re: Wrong Masters for the ‘Glyn Johns 1969 Mix’, and Japan came to rescue.

Post by jpgrcat »

After I bought the Box Set, I also found a link at the
time for a 24/96 copy...It does exist

So between the Japan & other countries is only
'For You Blue'?...
I think Let It Be is reversed as Billy Preston's Organ sounds nicer to my ears
Probably the 28 March Acetate...Nice & clear...

Since Pepper, I also get the 2/3 CD sets, as some mixes may be mixed or cut different
Huge Beatles Fan & collector Anything Beatles/Solo related,

which includes NEMS, Apple, Dark Horse, Ring'O, & MPL Labels

Beach Boys/Related, & The Byrds/CSNY/Related..& many other acts
paul62

Post by paul62 »

mikec wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:39 am ...and it seems that Giles and Co. re-did the 'Get Back' disk this year (now Disk 4) and nobody told the Japanese guys to destroy that old master and use the new one for that disk or they just tried to save work (if they already have done that disk last year), just my theory.
Giles has been quoted as saying that Glyn mastered the disc. Glyn is going to be 80 years old in February next year. As someone whose pride was badly hurt (and he's carried that hurt for many years) by the way his work was derided by John Lennon as "the shittiest load of badly recorded shit..." et cetera, he probably wanted to take this one last chance to get it right, this time 'round.

He would have done the remastering with his aged ears: he certainly rolled a lot off the top end and boosted the bottom end. Compression was added and then the overall volume was dropped (so we have clipped peaks on many tracks). The alternate takes on Anthology 3 sound better.

4-04 Dig A Pony (1969 Glyn Johns Mix EQd to Anth 3 CD version by paul62).wav

4-05 I've Got A Feeling (1969 Glyn Johns Mix EQd to Anth 3 CD version by paul62).wav

4-08 Teddy Boy (1969 Glyn Johns Mix EQd to Anth 3 CD version by paul62).wav

4-09 Two Of Us (1969 Glyn Johns Mix EQd to Anth 3 CD version by paul62).wav

As I mentioned yesterday, elsewhere, it could be the case that Glyn Johns dealt with Toshiba-EMI directly. The company may have requested files as quickly as possible, to get the preparations for their version of the SDE underway as soon as possible. They take great care in producing their Beatles product, so they may have wanted extra lead time to enable that.

Glyn might have sent them the wrong files, in error, via a CD-R he'd burned and mailed (or via an email with a download link). It's not the case these days that physical media has to be handed over. I'd think that emails, with links to files stored "in the cloud", is commonly used nowadays in the media industry.

Contrariwise, the whole mistake might have been contrived, set up to create some controversy and drive up sales et cetera...!!!!
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
jpgrcat

Post by jpgrcat »

I never could figuring out why the Beatles did not use Take 3 of One After 909, to open the Album?

That is a more Rockin' version, than the one which opened Get Back Album

Hopefully more sets will come out, like a Rock 'n' Roll
Huge Beatles Fan & collector Anything Beatles/Solo related,

which includes NEMS, Apple, Dark Horse, Ring'O, & MPL Labels

Beach Boys/Related, & The Byrds/CSNY/Related..& many other acts
stereoman33

Post by stereoman33 »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:52 am
jpgrcat wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:47 am I
The mixes are actually the same apart from For You Blue. The eq can make it sound like some instruments are louder or softer. I think Glyn must have made an analogue copy of his 1969 mixes and then re-edited that to make the 1970 version, splicing in a few extra tracks. Which would mean the 1969 tape is also higher quality.
at this point you might all like to watch this Glyn Johns interview from about 7 years ago..

.He talks about let it be at about the 38 minute mark of this really good interview
at about 44 and a half minutes in he talks about finding his 7 1/2 ips reel copy of let it be in the boot of his Bentley covered in green mildew.

Last edited by stereoman33 on Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

It looks like this set will sell out faster than anticipated, and then probably be "updated" (read "ruined") because the company that makes those discs is getting a huge unfair commercial advantage.

I predict this rogue set will become the Butcher Cover of the twenties :)
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:02 am I surmise the only reason this escaped is because the Japanese plant that does the audiophile cds needed more preparation time, and were sent the Disc 4 master early. Then it was changed by Apple but it was either too late to send them the new one or they just forgot. The added noise reduction and editing all points to the ROW version being the later configuration.
When the Beach Boys issued their most recent remasters in 2012, the Japanese edition of "Smiley Smile" album had some tape different from the album master, and the later ROW edition was correct. Same picture here, with the exception of the Japanese release now being right on the money, but not the "latest official version created on a whim".
20YearsAgo

Post by 20YearsAgo »

mikec wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:39 am I think Universal Japan used their 2020 master (for their "SHM" sound) as there was no change on that disk (track list speaking) from the originally planned 2020 release (it was Disk 2 back then), but disks 3 and 4 were drastically changed (and disk 5 appeared until this year), so they simply used their "Disk 2" master (now Disk 4 in the 2021 release) thinking it was the same (only my guess....
Sounds very possible. So someone in Japan might be taking the fall for this mistake... but I'm curious: you say that discs 3 & 4 "were drastically changed." In what ways? Was there ever a plan to load up a disc or two with oldies?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

zaval80 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:45 am When the Beach Boys issued their most recent remasters in 2012, the Japanese edition of "Smiley Smile" album had some tape different from the album master, and the later ROW edition was correct. Same picture here, with the exception of the Japanese release now being right on the money, but not the "latest official version created on a whim".
Yeah, we've seen this stuff happen quite a lot in the past. In big organisations no one wants to be held responsible for anything and it's usually a case of "It was so-and-so's job to do that". There was probably no one person who's job it was to oversee this stuff.

My own quack theory about what happened:

- a placemarker version of the album was assembled, which was just a straight dub of the 1969 album with nothing done to it except peak limiting. It may even be the same one that was uploaded to Spotify two years ago.

- the Japanese plant was sent a master for "Disc Two" as it was then called early on in the game. They duly made a glass master from it.

- Glyn became involved and listened to the disc and decided he wanted to replace FYB and add noise reduction and a little bit of eq.

- either Apple forgot to send the Japanese plant an updated version of the album, or as Mike Carerra suggests the plant looked at the tracklist and thought "That's the same content, let's just use our old glass master for Disc 2 instead".

The scary thing is that if they hadn't changed For You Blue to the one with the different vocal, this anomaly might have gone undetected for years. The Canadian cds of Help and RS stayed under the radar for over a decade.
Sounds very possible. So someone in Japan might be taking the fall for this mistake...
I'd hate to be that guy!

Btw what happened to the forum spellchecker? I miss it.
mikec

Post by mikec »

20YearsAgo wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:04 am
mikec wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:39 am I think Universal Japan used their 2020 master (for their "SHM" sound) as there was no change on that disk (track list speaking) from the originally planned 2020 release (it was Disk 2 back then), but disks 3 and 4 were drastically changed (and disk 5 appeared until this year), so they simply used their "Disk 2" master (now Disk 4 in the 2021 release) thinking it was the same (only my guess....
Sounds very possible. So someone in Japan might be taking the fall for this mistake... but I'm curious: you say that discs 3 & 4 "were drastically changed." In what ways? Was there ever a plan to load up a disc or two with oldies?
The 2020 LIB50th Edition was:
Disk 1: New Remix (same as the 2021 version)
Disk 2: Get Back 1969 (same track list as the 2021 version but we don't know which mix it was, the "SHM" or ROW)
Disk 3: Complete Rooftop
Disk 4: Sessions & Rehearsals (some of them ended up in the 2021 version, can't leak the track list as an agreement of confidentiality, so the new Disk 3 for the 2021 version replaced the Complete Rooftop Concert and Disk 5 EP was added as well).
Disk 5: Blu Ray Audio (same as the 2021 version)
20YearsAgo

Post by 20YearsAgo »

mikec wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:15 am
20YearsAgo wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:04 am
The 2020 LIB50th Edition was:
Disk 1: New Remix (same as the 2021 version)
Disk 2: Get Back 1969 (same track list as the 2021 version but we don't know which mix it was, the "SHM" or ROW)
Disk 3: Complete Rooftop
Disk 4: Sessions & Rehearsals (some of them ended up in the 2021 version, can't leak the track list as an agreement of confidentiality, so the new Disk 3 for the 2021 version replaced the Complete Rooftop Concert and Disk 5 EP was added as well).
Disk 5: Blu Ray Audio (same as the 2021 version)
Thanks... I'm really hoping that the Complete Rooftop material will be issued as a "bonus cd" whenever the Peter Jackson films hit the home DVD/BR release phase.