Wrong Masters for the ‘Glyn Johns 1969 Mix’, and Japan came to rescue.

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Lord Reith

Re: Wrong Masters for the ‘Glyn Johns 1969 Mix’, and Japan came to rescue.

Post by Lord Reith »

WilliamShears wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:37 am Yeah I was holding off on the 5 disk/BR set until the Christmas deals come out but pulled the trigger on the SDE set now in case they end up fixing it later.
Absolute dead certainty I think. I surmise the only reason this escaped is because the Japanese plant that does the audiophile cds needed more preparation time, and were sent the Disc 4 master early. Then it was changed by Apple but it was either too late to send them the new one or they just forgot. The added noise reduction and editing all points to the ROW version being the later configuration.

A funny consequence of this is that the people who make those audiophile cds are suddenly going to get masses of mysterious orders and wrongly assume the format is taking off. :lol:

Also... have the other discs been checked to see if anything else is different? I know that is kind of obvious but there might be some subtle differences if the whole set was sent to them early.
jpgrcat

Post by jpgrcat »

Found it on Reddit...I am right now listening it....Japan SHM Disc 4 [16/44]

Listen to For You Blue Intro Reversed Stereo

My box set is from Netherlands, & Chech Republic

2 CD set says US, but might be made in Mexico
Last edited by jpgrcat on Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Huge Beatles Fan & collector Anything Beatles/Solo related,

which includes NEMS, Apple, Dark Horse, Ring'O, & MPL Labels

Beach Boys/Related, & The Byrds/CSNY/Related..& many other acts
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

No links to official cds please.
Last edited by Lord Reith on Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
jpgrcat

Post by jpgrcat »

I pulled the link....

mikec

Post by mikec »

Disk 5 is the same, will check the rest later.
I think Universal Japan used their 2020 master (for their "SHM" sound) as there was no change on that disk (track list speaking) from the originally planned 2020 release (it was Disk 2 back then), but disks 3 and 4 were drastically changed (and disk 5 appeared until this year), so they simply used their "Disk 2" master (now Disk 4 in the 2021 release) thinking it was the same (only my guess), and it seems that Giles and Co. re-did the 'Get Back' disk this year (now Disk 4) and nobody told the Japanese guys to destroy that old master and use the new one for that disk or they just tried to save work (if they already have done that disk last year), just my theory.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

One thing we know for sure is that George Harrison is having a huge laff over this!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

mikec wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:39 am Disk 5 is the same, will check the rest later.
I think Universal Japan used their 2020 master (for their "SHM" sound) as there was no change on that disk (track list speaking) from the originally planned 2020 release (it was Disk 2 back then), but disks 3 and 4 were drastically changed (and disk 5 appeared until this year), so they simply used their "Disk 2" master (now Disk 4 in the 2021 release) thinking it was the same (only my guess), and it seems that Giles and Co. re-did the 'Get Back' disk this year (now Disk 4) and nobody told the Japanese guys to destroy that old master and use the new one for that disk or they just tried to save work (if they already have done that disk last year), just my theory.
That sounds plausible. The pressing plant may have seen that the tracklisting was the same and decided to save money by using their old master for "Disc 2". In which case the audiophile set will probably be recalled once Apple realise what has happened.
One thing we know for sure is that George Harrison is having a huge laff over this!
Oh yes! :lol:
jpgrcat

Post by jpgrcat »

I have the Get Back Boot: Get Back-The Final Glyn Johns Compilation [1999 VT-182]

To me, it sounds a lot like almost exactly as the Japan version

Only thing missing it the Long Verion of Teddy Boy

Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

jpgrcat wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:47 am I have the Get Back Boot: Get Back-The Final Glyn Johns Compilation [1999 VT-182]

To me, it sounds a lot like almost exactly as the Japan version

Only thing missing it the Long Verion of Teddy Boy
The mixes are actually the same apart from For You Blue. The eq can make it sound like some instruments are louder or softer. I think Glyn must have made an analogue copy of his 1969 mixes and then re-edited that to make the 1970 version, splicing in a few extra tracks. Which would mean the 1969 tape is also higher quality.
Last edited by Lord Reith on Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

One other thing I've noticed a lot of people commenting on the hiss. This is because 8 track tape without noise reduction is extremely noisy at 15ips. That is why they invented Dolby A for studio work. The hiss is more audible on GB than Abbey Road because GB has long quiet sections where they are talking.