Wrong Masters for the ‘Glyn Johns 1969 Mix’, and Japan came to rescue.

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
mikec

Post by mikec »

A Mike Carrera exclusive
Universal Music in Japan did receive the correct master for disc 4 (GLYN JOHNS 1969 MIX) and is available in the SDE SHM LET IT BE 50th ANNIVERSARY edition. The European version that we will now call "REST OF THE WORLD" (ROW) uses a combination and several edits on many tracks with the Glyn Johns' 1969 and 1970 mixes, possibly thinking that presenting a superior sound quality was much better although the mixes were not right ones. Several years ago Apple used incorrect mixes in the official Beatles discography, as in CAPITOL ALBUMS VOL. 2 and the “Love Me Do” Anniversary vinyl, both of which were withdrawn and replaced with the correct mixes; we do not know if the same will happen with LET IT BE 50th, or if the Japanese boxes will now be the most sought after by collectors, but this could be the first time that the same official release has a completely different disk at the same time but in different markets.
There are very noticeable differences in each mix, not only in speed but in prominence of some instruments or a different vocal in one track, here is a quick analysis between the JAPANESE and EUROPEAN versions of the Deluxe box of Let It Be, DISC 4, released last week, using a software to play both versions at the same time.

Total length of each disc:
SHM JAPAN: 42:57
EUROPEAN ROW: 42:52

1 & 5- ONE AFTER 909 – I’VE GOT A FEELING
SHM JAPAN: 1969 MIX with the speed one second slower throughout the track.
EUROPEAN ROW: 1970 MIX with the speed one second faster throughout the track.
The frequency graphs of ‘One After 909’ show different patterns in some sectors. ‘I’ve Got A Feeling’ is completely out of sync.

2. MEDLEY: I’M READY (AKA ROCKER) / SAVE THE LAST DANCE FOR ME / DON’T LET ME DOWN
SHM JAPAN: 1969 MIX
EUROPEAN ROW: 1970 MIX
There is no additional difference in speed.

3. DON’T LET ME DOWN
SHM JAPAN: 1969 MIX with slightly slower speed.
EUROPEAN ROW: 1970 MIX with slightly faster speed (00:19- 1:25 and corrected at 1:26) due to a 'glitch' in the tape that Apple used in 2021 and that it is possible to hear to between 00:19 and 00:20 during John's words to Ringo: "Do a nice big pshhhh (imitates the sound of a cymbal) .. for me, you know, to give me the courage to come screaming in", and now we hear the glitch at the moment of saying the word "big", which is cut off. The phrase without this problem can be heard on the Japanese disk.

4. DIG A PONY
SHM JAPAN: 1969 MIX ,but the glitch that appears in the original 1969 mix before starting the song has been removed.
EUROPEAN ROW: 1970 MIX with slightly faster speed.

6. , 9., 10. & 13. GET BACK, TWO OF US, DIG IT & THE LONG AND WINDING ROAD
SHM JAPAN: 1969 MIX with an 'opaque' sound and slightly slower speed.
EUROPEAN ROW: 1970 MIX with a completely brilliant sound from a higher quality tape and slightly faster speed.

7. FOR YOU BLUE
SHM JAPAN: 1969 MIX with George's original vocal recorded in 1969.
EUROPEAN ROW: 1969 MIX (00:01- 00:14 from a different source with much more “hiss” noise than the Japanese version) + 1970 MIX (00:15- 02:54), with the vocal overdub of George from 1970, different in several verses combined with the 1969 vocal.

8. TEDDY BOY
SHM JAPAN: 1969 MIX with an 'opaque' sound.
EUROPEAN ROW: 1969 MIX with a completely brilliant sound from a higher quality tape.
There was no Glyn Johns 1970 mix for this song.

10. MAGGIE MAE
SHM JAPAN: 1969 MIX with an 'opaque' sound.
EUROPEAN ROW: 1970 MIX with a completely brilliant sound.

12. LET IT BE
SHM JAPAN: 1969 MIX: With an "opaque" sound and a speed one second slower, from the beginning the whole track is out of phase compared to the next one.
EUROPEAN ROW: 1970 MIX (00:01- 04:01) with brighter sound and one second faster speed + 1969 MIX (4:02- 4:09 during the final dialogue. The change in sound is very noticeable)

14. GET BACK
SHM JAPAN: 1969 MIX with slightly slower speed. The "hiss" on the tape is noticeable during the ending, which is not heard on the European version.
EUROPEAN ROW: 1969 MIX (00:00- 00:01 "hiss" sound) + 1970 MIX (00:02- 00:40) with slightly faster speed. The "hiss" noise is not present during the end compared with the Japanese version.
paul62

Re: Wrong Masters for the ‘Glyn Johns 1969 Mix’, and Japan came to rescue.

Post by paul62 »

To do a visual comparison check, here are snapshots of the versions most people received in their LIB SDE on top and snapshots of the rare versions some people received in their LIB SDE below. (From the first track to the last track):

"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Last edited by Lord Reith on Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
EdinSc

More on the Japanese box set error

Post by EdinSc »

MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

My system is currently mothballed so I have yet to play the vinyl set I picked up. Do we know for sure which version was used for that?
Tex

Post by Tex »

Now hard core fans have to get BOTH veri$on$.
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

Engonoceras wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:25 pm Now hard core fans have to get BOTH veri$on$.
... and the plot thicken$
—Keith
KennySaxton

Post by KennySaxton »

In fact, I wasn't planned to buy SDE set at the beginning, as I thought streaming would suffice and a huge amount of money will be wasted on this lackluster. However, this Japan SHM-CD release changed my mind, not only for correct 1969 Glyn Johns Mixes. I find it way cheaper not only to buy but also to ship to China. The delivery also just takes 3~6 days, not like when I'm buying from EU or US, it takes up to 30~45 days :lol:
Words and gibberish remixed from Merriam-Webster's by Kenny Saxton
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Post by WilliamShears »

Yeah I was holding off on the 5 disk/BR set until the Christmas deals come out but pulled the trigger on the SDE set now in case they end up fixing it later.
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

They may consider fixing it only if there is a campaign started by indignated fans.