Wrong Masters for the ‘Glyn Johns 1969 Mix’, and Japan came to rescue.

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Beatles4you

Re: Wrong Masters for the ‘Glyn Johns 1969 Mix’, and Japan came to rescue.

Post by Beatles4you »

Last edited by Beatles4you on Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ennolenno

Post by ennolenno »

Thank you very much for the comparison and the review, Mike.
Do you (or somebody else) know which mix is on the Japanese vinyl?
That would be very interesting.
LFSDoc

Post by LFSDoc »

So, to sum it up, this is what I think we have so far:
- Compilation #1:
First rough mixes from “Elektra acetate” (broadcast in the US in sep 1969)
- Compilation #2:
Unfinished assembly from May 1969 (with diff. mix of Get Back and longer Dig It) first available on OPD LP; the intro to Dig A Pony has a shaky guitar note
- Compilation #3
Late May 1969, with shaky DAP intro, Get Back single mix and final edit of Dig It, plus chat edited in between LIB and TLAWR; off acetate (?) first available on the Get Back boot in 1985 (Tonto rec.)
- Compilation #4
Possibly from late 1969. Similar to #3 but with different mixes of DAP and IGAF; first available on Wizardo “Let It Be 315” in 1975, now in top quality on the Japanese LIB box
- Compilation #5
Early (Feb? surely after Jan 8th anyway) 1970 assembly, with new FYB mix, inclusion of ATU and IMM but no Teddy Boy, from a copy of John Barrett’s cassette.

Doc
Last edited by LFSDoc on Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

LFSDoc wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:37 pm So, to sum it up, this is what we have so far:
- Compilation #1:
First rough mixes from “Elektra acetate” (broadcast in the US in sep 1969)
- Compilation #2:
Unfinished assembly from May 1969 (with diff. mix of Get Back and longer Dig It) first available on OPD LP; the intro to Dig A Pony has a shaky guitar note
- Compilation #3
Late May 1969, with shaky DAP intro, Get Back single mix and final edit of Dig It, plus chat edited in between LIB and TLAWR; off acetate (?) first available on the Get Back boot in 1985 (Tonto rec.)
- Compilation #4
Possibly from late 1969. Similar to #3 but with different mixes of DLMD, DAP and IGAF; first available on Wizardo “Let It Be 315” in 1975, now in top quality on the Japanese LIB box
- Compilation #5
Early (Feb?) 1970 assembly, possibly made by Malcolm Davies, with new FYB mix, inclusion of ATU and IMM but no Teddy Boy, from a copy of John Barrett’s cassette.

Doc
Very good summary Doc -- Thank you! Chaz Avery's Beatles Source website doesn't list some of the differences you point out above... https://www.beatlesource.com/bs/mains/a ... intro.html
—Keith
LFSDoc

Post by LFSDoc »

powerPC wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:16 pm Very good summary Doc -- Thank you! Chaz Avery's Beatles Source website doesn't list some of the differences you point out above... https://www.beatlesource.com/bs/mains/a ... intro.html
thanks! but until the new box apparently nobody had realized some of the tracks had been remixed by Glyn after the May 69 compilation.
innergroove

Post by innergroove »

Gotta say I much prefer the sound of the Japanese CD to the standard (ROW) one. The whole album sounds much more cohesive, with a nice warm sound. The bootlegs always sounded badly EQ'd - tinny and flabby, and that's how the ROW version sounds to me.
No EQing needed for me on this one. I'm not a fan of limiting, generally, but believe it can be very useful sometimes, and here it seems to help with the cohesiveness of the album.
It might take a bit of getting used to, but I believe this is how the album was meant to sound. I'm really enjoying it.
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

LFSDoc wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:31 pm
powerPC wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:16 pm Very good summary Doc -- Thank you! Chaz Avery's Beatles Source website doesn't list some of the differences you point out above... https://www.beatlesource.com/bs/mains/a ... intro.html
thanks! but until the new box apparently nobody had realized some of the tracks had been remixed by Glyn after the May 69 compilation.
extremely interesting! Do you know what the mixing differences are on the specific tracks? (I don’t have a suitable listening system to do comparisons myself)
—Keith
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

powerPC wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:10 pm
LFSDoc wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:31 pm
extremely interesting! Do you know what the mixing differences are on the specific tracks? (I don’t have a suitable listening system to do comparisons myself)
I don't think anything was remixed except For You Blue. The other songs all seem the same except for the eq and noise reduction.
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:40 pm
I don't think anything was remixed except For You Blue. The other songs all seem the same except for the eq and noise reduction.
Cool. Thanks LR 👍
—Keith
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

powerPC wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:43 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:40 pm
Cool. Thanks LR 👍
I will actually synchronise and check them to be absolutely certain. I can say with certainty though that the ROW and JAP are from two different analogue tapes (with the JAP being the better copy).