Shall we place a bet?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
ennolenno

Re: Shall we place a bet?

Post by ennolenno »

Wogew wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:10 pm
ennolenno wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:31 pm Would be interesting to know how long the next track (DLMD) is.
3. Don’t Let Me Down (4:06)
Thank you Roger.

Yep, now lenghtwise both tracks

2. Medley: I’m Ready (Aka Rocker) / Save The Last Dance For Me / Don’t Let Me Down (0:33/0:50/0:34)
plus
3. Don’t Let Me Down (4:06)

together correspond to Glyn Johns' compilation #3 from May 1969. In the final compilation #4 (with the edited 'Save The Last Dance For Me') these tracks together are approx. half a minute shorter.
So, there's big hope that we get the longer version of STLDFM.

My sources for comparison were:

- Dr. Ebbetts "Get Back" CDs (comp. #3 and #4)
- Purple Chick's "Let It Be" deluxe set
- "As Nature Intended" (Vigotone – VT 122)
- "Get Back - The Glyn Johns Final Compilation" (Vigotone – VT 182)
- "Get Back With Let It Be And 11 Other Songs" (The Child Of Nature – 001)
FestVideoRoom

Post by FestVideoRoom »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:46 am I bet the new official Glynn Johns Get Back release will contain the shortened version of Save The Last Dance For Me.

Yes, I'm sticking my neck out here... but I just have a feeling.

What do you think?
I can answer it definitively as I'm sitting here with the actual FLAC files of the new set. Congratulations, all... it's the full-length version :)
moptophugger

Post by moptophugger »

FestVideoRoom wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:54 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:46 am I bet the new official Glynn Johns Get Back release will contain the shortened version of Save The Last Dance For Me.

Yes, I'm sticking my neck out here... but I just have a feeling.

What do you think?
I can answer it definitively as I'm sitting here with the actual FLAC files of the new set. Congratulations, all... it's the full-length version :)
What????? :shock: How did you get them? Tell us please!
FestVideoRoom

Post by FestVideoRoom »

I have low friends in high places. I can say no more.
moptophugger

Post by moptophugger »

FestVideoRoom wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:10 pm I have low friends in high places. I can say no more.
:shock: Ok then.
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

FestVideoRoom wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:10 pm I have low friends in high places. I can say no more.
cool! Best kind of friends to have...
—Keith
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

It will be interesting to get back to letting it be!
After all, this is more than a record release. It is a chance to truthfully establish what a producer's function is in practical terms and then...
AND, THEN...(just maybe)
we'll know if this album ever had a producer...OR, is it still looking for one.
Which is a long way of saying
"here come da Giles!
here come da Giles"!!!
This is an opportunity for a 50 year old event to finally get closure.
But, that means the closure won't be coming from Glyn Johns...or, Phil Spector.
"Here come da Giles!"
And, it's true. The egg might finally be ready to hatch.
I love what Phil Spector did. But if Giles can do better, then let it be greater than everything else.
That only means that Glyn Johns did the most work...and will be the first to be forgotten.
But it will be Giles who gave the world The Beatles' last album.
So, maybe Glyn will be noticed.
It would be great to see a comprehensive set that contained all versions of Get Back LP compiled by Glyn.
Otherwise this event is about Giles...and the long and winding irony.
You know the rest...
KC
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

If some people have heard it, can we get some opinions of the set? Are the outtakes discs a good listen?
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
FestVideoRoom

Post by FestVideoRoom »

Sure.

The remixed album is pretty much what we've come to expect from Team Giles at this point... somewhat faithful to the original albeit with a nice new heft to the drums.

The Get Back album is practically identical to the old boots except that a) it sounds a LOAD better (listening to a legitimate release of this album is an out-of-body experience) b) they've gone ahead and digitally erased that f*cking squeal of feedback from Teddy Boy. I may be a purist now and again but I won't miss that ear-splitting annoyance at all... c) they may have substituted an inferior dub of the 1970 For You Blue mix in place of the 1969 version.

The 4-track EP is nice BUT (as some may have heard via Friday's release of the new Get Back take 8 4-track single) the Glyn Johns 1970 mix of I Me Mine is marred with some hideous noise that sounds as if it may have been mastered from a damaged acetate or somesuch. Aside from For You Blue, it's the only sonic disappointment in the set.

Now we come to the two CDs' worth of outtakes. I wound up enjoying this part of the set FAR MORE than I thought I would. Does it come off like an official Get Back era bootleg set? Yes, but in the very best of ways. The sound quality (particularly on the first disc) is wonderful as it's mostly EMI reels being used here and the choice of material is well thought out. Frankly, that first disc is in some ways a more exciting and better listen than the original 1970 LP OR Glyn's 1969 LP compilation. The second disc isn't bad either -- not by far -- but by design is a bit more of a ragged affair. Of course, it's nothing that THIS crowd isn't well and truly used to and while the Nagra-sourced tracks don't hold a candle to their EMI-recorded cousins, they certainly sound better here than anywhere else.

Bottom line: if this is the sort of thing we have to look forward to in the soundtrack to the forthcoming Peter Jackson documentary, we should all consider ourselves very fortunate indeed.

Howzat?
Last edited by FestVideoRoom on Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

Well thought out and informative review, thank you! NOW I’m actually far less cautious about this release 😊
—Keith