Shall we place a bet?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Re: Shall we place a bet?

Post by WilliamShears »

Looking forward to it even more now! Thanks!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Excellent overview from FestVideoRoom. I'm looking forward to this more now, even though I still think it's all a bit on the slim side. But any qualms over the short length are compensated by the fact we have six hours worth of 5.1 material coming soon, with video. That is surely enough to make the most jaded Beatlemaniac leap with joy.

In fact, I still can't believe it's happening. I half expect an official announcement saying that the series has been shelved for "re-assessment" and thereafter occasional news reports appearing for the next twenty years hinting at its imminent release. In fact, I won't be able to relax until the damned thing is playing on my Apple TV.
FestVideoRoom

Post by FestVideoRoom »

Well, IS it a bit on the slim side? Yeah, maybe... but given the amount of EMI recordings available (versus the wealth of Nagra recordings which we kinda have all of anyway), the limited number of more or less finished songs to choose from and the forthcoming existence of the series (which has been confirmed to include the complete rooftop concert), much more would have started to feel highly repetitive for an official release (he said, looking warily over his shoulder at those new Lennon sets). It probably would have been nice to toss in Suzy Parker or a nice new mix of the Miss Ann / Lawdy Miss Clawdy / etcetera etcetera jam considering that there's certainly room for them... but would that stuff actually add to the experience or detract from it? It's a good question... and perhaps such material is best left to the films and the boots anyway. It's worth noting, of course, that for a crowd like US, they're gonna have to pry our bootlegs from our cold dead fingers anyway. So at the end of the day, you kind of have to step back and ask yourself what sort of experience you want to reasonably expect from an official music release and, I feel pretty good about answering that with "enjoyable" and "worthy of repeated listening." In that, I feel they've succeeded... which was a hell of a feat for this mess when Spector pulled it off in 1970, and no less so now.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I just would have liked some more rooftop material, some more of the Studio Performance the following day and some of the oldies. They seem like glaring omissions to me, given that one of the discs has four songs on it and there is a ton of room on a bluray disc. But as I said it doesn't matter so much as long as it's all in the tv series. I'll just make up my own cds from that.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

FestVideoRoom wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:28 pm Sure.

The remixed album is pretty much what we've come to expect from Team Giles at this point... somewhat faithful to the original albeit with a nice new heft to the drums.

The Get Back album is practically identical to the old boots except that a) it sounds a LOAD better (listening to a legitimate release of this album is an out-of-body experience) b) they've gone ahead and digitally erased that f*cking squeal of feedback from Teddy Boy. I may be a purist now and again but I won't miss that ear-splitting annoyance at all... c) they may have substituted an inferior dub of the 1970 For You Blue mix in place of the 1969 version.

The 4-track EP is nice BUT (as some may have heard via Friday's release of the new Get Back take 8 4-track single) the Glyn Johns 1970 mix of I Me Mine is marred with some hideous noise that sounds as if it may have been mastered from a damaged acetate or somesuch. Aside from For You Blue, it's the only sonic disappointment in the set.

Now we come to the two CDs' worth of outtakes. I wound up enjoying this part of the set FAR MORE than I thought I would. Does it come off like an official Get Back era bootleg set? Yes, but in the very best of ways. The sound quality (particularly on the first disc) is wonderful as it's mostly EMI reels being used here and the choice of material is well thought out. Frankly, that first disc is in some ways a more exciting and better listen than the original 1970 LP OR Glyn's 1969 LP compilation. The second disc isn't bad either -- not by far -- but by design is a bit more of a ragged affair. Of course, it's nothing that THIS crowd isn't well and truly used to and while the Nagra-sourced tracks don't hold a candle to their EMI-recorded cousins, they certainly sound better here than anywhere else.

Bottom line: if this is the sort of thing we have to look forward to in the soundtrack to the forthcoming Peter Jackson documentary, we should all consider ourselves very fortunate indeed.

Howzat?
Just out of curiousity, Which guitar solo was on your copy of Get Back LP on the set? Ithought both For You Blue and Let It Be sounded like the 1970 Get Back mixes on that disc.
FestVideoRoom

Post by FestVideoRoom »

Darth Kybiel wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:57 am Just out of curiousity, Which guitar solo was on your copy of Get Back LP on the set? Ithought both For You Blue and Let It Be sounded like the 1970 Get Back mixes on that disc.
Er... say what? The only significant mix difference between cuts that appear on Glyn's "final" 1969 version of the album and his 1970 revision is For You Blue which has a different mix using a replacement vocal. Let it Be was identical on ALL of Glyn's versions except his first compilation (which we generally know these days as the WBCN acetate. Or am I utterly misunderstanding you? Or am I really out of touch and know not of what I speak (that's been known to happen on occasion, too)...