Let It Be Official Announcement

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
skynet

Re: Let It Be Official Announcement

Post by skynet »

loved the way they remixed "Across the Universe", They left the instrumentation subtly in the background, giving the original instrumentation more presence as well as John's voice, cannot wait to hear what they did with the multichannel 5.1 and dolby atmos mixes
EdinSc

Post by EdinSc »

But it's still slowed down, as done by Spector. I'd prefer the original speed!
skynet

Post by skynet »

EdinSc wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:44 pm But it's still slowed down, as done by Spector. I'd prefer the original speed!
have to agree with that, but just imagine the "outrage" if they replaced the speed to the original one ;) :D
Jay

Post by Jay »

"I Me Mine" [1970 Glyn John's Mix] sounds horrible. Oh no.

Looks like we're going to have to "roll our own" when it comes to the Glyn Johns mixes here. First they used the wrong version of "For You Blue" (1970 mix instead of 1969), and now this... :roll:
skynet

Post by skynet »

Jay wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:56 pm "I Me Mine" [1970 Glyn John's Mix] sounds horrible. Oh no.

Looks like we're going to have to "roll our own" when it comes to the Glyn Johns mixes here. First they used the wrong version of "For You Blue" (1970 mix instead of 1969), and now this... :roll:
i know it depends on perception from everyone, but can you explain your reasoning behind "sounds horrible"??? remember that youtube music files are per c LoFi, not really a good source, but if you point out what did you disliked would be better to have a baseline comparison point :)
Jay

Post by Jay »

skynet wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:13 pm
Jay wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:56 pm "I Me Mine" [1970 Glyn John's Mix] sounds horrible. Oh no.

i know it depends on perception from everyone, but can you explain your reasoning behind "sounds horrible"??? remember that youtube music files are per c LoFi, not really a good source, but if you point out what did you disliked would be better to have a baseline comparison point :)
Hi skynet.

Sorry... Here's the basis for my opinion. First of all, I'm listening via TIDAL hi-fi which is lossless. I agree with you that YouTube should never be used as a reference when it comes to sound quality.

I'm comparing "I Me Mine" [1970 Glyn John's Mix] from TIDAL to the same track on Purple Chick's "Let It Be" Deluxe Edition (CD 4, track 22).

The official lossless stream sounds significantly more distorted and muffled compared to Purple Chick in my opinion. Kind of like an old mangled cassette tape.

Maybe the TIDAL stream is faulty in some way and doesn't truly reflect what the new remaster sounds like. Fingers crossed.
Jay

Post by Jay »

On the upside the other tracks sound good. I like Giles' take on "Across the Universe". There's a lot more texture to the strings compared to the old mix. Really looking forward to the remixed album.
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

Weird. Amazon's music service plays the 2018 White Album version, take 6 I believe, instead of the actual 2021 mix. I’m glad it was a free trial because that’s a goof.
Jay

Post by Jay »

Just listened to the Glyn Johns mix of "I Me Mine" from the new box again, and something is seriously wrong. There's nasty digital artifacts all over the track. Sounds like someone took a low bitrate MP3 and applied EQ to it to make it sound livelier, then saved the result as MP3 again. Am I really the only one hearing this?
lordsnooty

Post by lordsnooty »

Jay wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:46 pm Just listened to the Glyn Johns mix of "I Me Mine" from the new box again, and something is seriously wrong. There's nasty digital artifacts all over the track. Sounds like someone took a low bitrate MP3 and applied EQ to it to make it sound livelier, then saved the result as MP3 again. Am I really the only one hearing this?
You're not. They're almost definitely transferring audio from the acetates. The "I Me Mine" track source is the same on the PurpleChick Let it Be collection (disc 4, track 22 -- listed as "Acetate 4"), minus the distortion and hiss. The nerds over at Hoffman forums confirmed it's the same source between the two tracks. The distortion on the new box set master is because the acetate was probably played a bunch, and because acetate discs continuously break down over time.