Let It Be Official Announcement

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Megazeti

Re: Let It Be Official Announcement

Post by Megazeti »

While been grateful for the release this looks like a very weak boxset.

It was always going to be a mammoth task as to how much content should be includes seens the bootleggers uped the ante and fed the fans all of Jan 69 years ago.

Disc 1 (the original LP) is 35 mins long so couldn't Glyn Johns been added on to the first disc.
The outtakes discs (judging by their official release timings) couldn't they at least reach the 78 min mark.
Looking at the lengths of each CD it looks like the were focusing on LP durations.
Is the Blu-ray disc of mixes of the original LP really going to be a revelation?

My opinion, all you're getting is 4 half-empty discs and a heavy book.
Last edited by Megazeti on Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WoodLennon

Post by WoodLennon »

Looks good to me (although i won't forgive the 5th CD, unnecessary waste of plastic, why not fill it with the rooftop concert? it's a bloody cd, not vinyl) but I think most of the stuff on here has already been released on bootleg, so for that part it's a bit disappointing.
I'll still buy it, i have the money and i always get them at an extremely lower price, a good thing because, as in the case of the recent ATMP Deluxe Edition, i don't think it's worth the price
Megazeti

Post by Megazeti »

Yeah the ATMP is unaffordable and very self indulgent (I mean the Uber), you'd be just lucky enough to afford the 6 CD set seens the LP only format is near $500.
dascottjr

Post by dascottjr »

Looks like a good set, honestly. It's a shame Apple can't get over 1) having a tracklist that will work both on vinyl and CD (leading to full LP's and short CD's), and 2) not sullying the integrity of the main album by putting bonus tracks (B-sides, etc) onto the same disc with it. No surprise, though, and I look forward to the book and the new / improved mixes, and their take on what the core outtakes are.
millerTEK

Post by millerTEK »

I can't wait! I want to take that LIB surround mix and extract the Phil Spector orchestra and other overdubs they hopefully isolated nicely.

As for the outtakes - I suspected like past attempts released, they would stick to Apple items that Glyn Johns recorded onto multitrack vs. trying to remaster NAGRA sources for audio release.. There are a lot of Glyn Johns multirack items (on 25 reels that were about 37 minutes each) that have never been released. if you are familiar with the inventory of tracks he recorded, they are just other takes of items they wanted to select for the Get Back album. A lot of the control room playback items were those. There is also a lot of NAGRA that was recorded at the same time and available out there, but Apple still has the best sounding version of those items.

My guess is NAGRA items, because they include video, are being handled by Jackson and the video release. hundreds of hours of Nagra - not all of it will be released, so keep your Purple Chick collection. LOLOL
millerTEK

Post by millerTEK »

I get it!
It was the same thing with Star Wars and decades later, Lucas says he is releasing a Prequel Trilogy - and yes, everybody was disappointed with something for some reason.

Beatles Loyalists have spent EVEN MORE time understanding these GB and LIB sessions, how much was recorded, and then how many final compilations were considered. Luckily WE GOT lots of bootlegged footage over the years including pretty close to complete NAGRA recordings of that fateful January of 69.

so we have had decades (now almost half a century) to compile our own 50th Anniversary Editions... LUCKILY, times are not like the Anthology Days, and Apple is releasing multiple editions to appease the various degree of fans out there! This release even gets a movie release! And so, they are working and funding something amazing for everyone!

But they can't remaster and release it all : ). Enjoy what they give us - and merge it into your collection and see the improvements!

psssssst - try extracting each channel of the surround mixes....you might find some interesting overdub isolation's to compile and make even MORE bonus tracks! I want to extract Spector's orchestral overdubs not just with LOng and Winding Road, but I Me Mine, Across the universe and Let it Be. Also there was a Let It Be overdub session with 3 Beatles and an electric piano overdub was added to LEt It Be (not Billy's stuff)....so hang in there - this is still going to be an AWESOME release.

steve
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Seems to me like the packaging is the main focus and the audio an afterthought. :roll:

A 4 track cd is just an insult. And the other two cds will be lp length, so 40min max.

And they've used the 1970 version of FYB, not 1969. Why? Does that mean Save The Last Dance will be the shorter version too?

Frankly I don't care, because I will be ripping the audio of the PJ Disney series for my own private six-disc set.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Megazeti

Post by Megazeti »

So I looked at the Abbey Road super box and noticed the 3 CDs equated to 3LPs as well.
So is the amount of unreleased material they release on the next 50th box sets going to be based on how much they can fit on a few LPs rather the reverse
for eg: 3 cds needs 6 LPs
Does make you wonder?
MrP

Post by MrP »

complaining about the amount of music in the set seems a waste of time
there is nothing here that is any real different from the other deluxe boxes

they don't add tracks to the specific album, that is the standard they chose

Pepper was 4 audio discs and was the same price point as this set 150
album was the standard 40min
the outtakes discs around 60
the 4th was the mono 67 album plus additional mono bonus tracks

white album
2 40min discs for the album
3 50 min discs of sessions
75 min escher disc
this was at a higher price point at 180

abbey road
3 audio discs all less than 50 min
lower price point at 110

it packaging that pushes this along with nostalgia

the packaging we are getting here far exceeds the piece of shit provided with ATMP
and that asked for same price

nobody should be surprised by what is in this set and what is not

the rooftop concert seems to be the center piece of the Jackson movie
i feel that is why it is not in the set
maybe it comes out some way after the film but i won't hold my breath
and add on that apple seems to have a total disdain for The Beatles live as shown by the jumbled mess of the live At The Hollywood Bowl
Wogew

Post by Wogew »

In the planned 2020 50th anniversary "Let It Be" boxed set, the contents looked like this:
• Disc 1: Giles Martin 2020 stereo remix of the original album
• Disc 2: Original 1969 Glyn Johns mix
• Disc 3: Complete Rooftop concert
• Disc 4: A selection of outtakes
• Disc 5: Blu-ray version with Dolby Atmos and HD-stereo remix
In the revised for 2021 version of the boxed set we lost the rooftop concert (which we are going to get anyway through the Get Back film), but we gained another disc with outtakes (or rehearsals & jams) plus the EP. Not to mention a surround sound mix, which was not planned (or at least not listed) in the 2020 edition.
I notice that some of the people who are having complaints elsewhere (ie not here) were expecting video content, like the restored "Let It Be" film. We knew that was never going to happen.
And the Nagra tapes got back to where they once belonged - in the hands of the bootleggers.