AHDN Coming Soon in 4K Ultra HD from Criterion!

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Vee-Jay

AHDN Coming Soon in 4K Ultra HD from Criterion!

Post by Vee-Jay »

Hey, Gang -

I keep meaning to post this, but work :roll: keeps getting in the way. :lol: Mother always said it's important to read beyond the headlines...

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts ... t-4k-slate

Citizen Kane to Lead Criterion’s First 4K Slate

We’re thrilled to announce Criterion’s first 4K Ultra HD releases, a six-film slate that includes Citizen Kane, Menace II Society, The Piano, Mulholland Dr., The Red Shoes, and A Hard Day’s Night. The first of these editions and their special features will be detailed in our November 2021 announcement next week, with others to follow in subsequent months.

The most dazzling debut in cinema history, Orson Welles’s Citizen Kane was Criterion’s first laserdisc release 37 years ago. It now rejoins the library after a long absence, making its first appearance in 4K Ultra HD along with Allen and Albert Hughes’s riveting breakthrough Menace II Society; Jane Campion’s Academy Award–winning The Piano, starring Holly Hunter and Anna Paquin in her breakout role; David Lynch’s Mulholland Dr., a tale of love and jealousy in the city of dreams; Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger’s singular Technicolor fantasia The Red Shoes; and Richard Lester’s timeless movie musical A Hard Day’s Night, which brought the Beatles’ revolutionary talent and irreverent humor to the big screen.

Each title will be available in a 4K UHD+Blu-ray combo pack including a 4K UHD disc of the feature film as well as the film and its special features on Blu-ray. Select films will be presented in Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos. Stay tuned for more details in our November announcement!
iso74

Re: AHDN Coming Soon in 4K Ultra HD from Criterion!

Post by iso74 »

I've never been able to watch "Citizen Kane" all the way through. Maybe it's because i've always known it to be the "Greatest Film Ever Made" so my expectations were too high. Although it's slipped a bit recently, you often get The Godfathers these days, or Vertigo with the last Sight and Sound Poll. Same thing with "Lawrence of Arabia".

"Sgt Pepper" was the Citizen Kane of albums, then it got knocked off it's perch by "Pet Sounds", "Revolver" and "What's Going On". I bought Pepper when I was maybe 12 or 13, before I knew how important it was. Like "Magical Mystery Tour" it's better to come to it as a child. I probably would have been disappointed if i'd bought it in my late-teens. That was when I got the White Album, I was old enough to appreciate that.

Am I only the one who doesn't always appreciate the 'irreverent humour'? The Goons didn't date as well as Hancock or Sgt Bilko.
moptophugger

Post by moptophugger »

Cool, might have new mixes! Or not :cry: Anyways it will be cool to have more Beatles footage in 4k! :D Can't wait!
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

That is great news -- looking forward to this 4k release for sure :)
—Keith
Venny

Post by Venny »

Vee-Jay wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:32 pm Hey, Gang -

I keep meaning to post this, but work :roll: keeps getting in the way. :lol: Mother always said it's important to read beyond the headlines...

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts ... t-4k-slate

Citizen Kane to Lead Criterion’s First 4K Slate

We’re thrilled to announce Criterion’s first 4K Ultra HD releases, a six-film slate that includes Citizen Kane, Menace II Society, The Piano, Mulholland Dr., The Red Shoes, and A Hard Day’s Night. The first of these editions and their special features will be detailed in our November 2021 announcement next week, with others to follow in subsequent months.

The most dazzling debut in cinema history, Orson Welles’s Citizen Kane was Criterion’s first laserdisc release 37 years ago. It now rejoins the library after a long absence, making its first appearance in 4K Ultra HD along with Allen and Albert Hughes’s riveting breakthrough Menace II Society; Jane Campion’s Academy Award–winning The Piano, starring Holly Hunter and Anna Paquin in her breakout role; David Lynch’s Mulholland Dr., a tale of love and jealousy in the city of dreams; Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger’s singular Technicolor fantasia The Red Shoes; and Richard Lester’s timeless movie musical A Hard Day’s Night, which brought the Beatles’ revolutionary talent and irreverent humor to the big screen.

Each title will be available in a 4K UHD+Blu-ray combo pack including a 4K UHD disc of the feature film as well as the film and its special features on Blu-ray. Select films will be presented in Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos. Stay tuned for more details in our November announcement!
Hard Day's Night was already released in 4K in Japan. This will be the first time Criterion's 4K remaster will be seen in full resolution in the US.
Here is a screenshot of the Japanese UHD:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... ot0205.png
Venny

Post by Venny »

moptophugger wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:06 pm Cool, might have new mixes! Or not :cry: Anyways it will be cool to have more Beatles footage in 4k! :D Can't wait!
Audio mixes are the same as the 2K BD. Stereo, Mono, 5.1, and Commentary
billylentz

Post by billylentz »

Wouldn´t you like if they include speed-corrected versions of the songs?
Suzy Parlourphone

Post by Suzy Parlourphone »

I śaw that they started taking pre-orders for release in January.

https://www.criterion.com/films/28547-a ... ay-s-night
jpgrcat

Post by jpgrcat »

Citizen Kane, is about William Randolph Hearst Sr......
If any of you know anything about Cannabis, & how it became illegal
was Hearst. Thru' Tabloid Journalism caused it to became taxed, & illegal
Harry J. Anslinger, who in 1961 lied about Cannabis being more dangerous s heroin

When the Beatles met Bob Dylan, well, you know the stories
All were & I think are still pro-Cannabis

What I see in the media today, reminds me 30 years ago,
I was reading older magazines & Newspapers, from 1920's & 1930's
Seriously, look into this, especially Popular Mechanics Dec 1941, page 3
Henry Ford's 'Car From The Soil'

A Hard Day's Night in 4k?...Cool....I grew up on this film!
Huge Beatles Fan & collector Anything Beatles/Solo related,

which includes NEMS, Apple, Dark Horse, Ring'O, & MPL Labels

Beach Boys/Related, & The Byrds/CSNY/Related..& many other acts
Sid Burnsteen

Post by Sid Burnsteen »

It should be noted that besides creating Citizen Kane, Orson Welles fathered Michael Lindsey-Hogg around the same time. Busy guy!