ALL THINGS MUST PASS 50TH- WHATS NEW?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
mikec

Re: ALL THINGS MUST PASS 50TH- WHATS NEW?

Post by mikec »

Mr Bump wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:35 pm @mikec - interesting info at the start of this thread but please are you able to say where the personnel listings come from on the outtake material? Some of them I find pretty hard to accept, so I'd be interested to know how official this info is, and whether the listings are reliable. Are you able to advise at all? Cheers :)
Best regards, yeah, some of the recording personnel listed under the outtakes sometimes don't match my ears (like more than 2 electric guitars or two sets of drums), but again, I have already posted here and other places from WHERE all that exclusive info came from to make and post my review in advance last year, and I'll quote myself again:
"Own research and also using some internal memo provided by the Harrison Estate that came a few months back which didn't make the final cut of the book as we now can see."

That internal memo is around 100 pages-long on a Word file, track by track, remastered songs, demos and outtakes, length and recording personnel for each track (two or three songs were left blank cause they don't know any more details); it's similar to a "label copy", that's how it's known at Record Companies. The internal memo is just that, "internal", can't share it but it looks like this:

Now, regarding your question, as the own book under the Uber Box says:
"The mystery of who played on each track will will never be completely solved. The tape boxes from the sessions only indicate the instruments on each track, rarely naming the players. Some songs were recorded on more than one occasion, weeks apart with different sets of musicians, leading to contradictory accounts of the musicians on each song."
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

Many thanks Mike. Appreciate the reply. How great that you've got that document - it must be the best listing available.

I saw the note in the deluxe set about complete listings being impossible, and I am sort-of resigned to that being so.

There are problems with the listings here though - take, for example, Almost 12 Bar Honky Tonk. It says Ginger Baker on drums. I am not aware Ginger Baker was ever involved in these sessions. I have a copy of his autobiography, Hellraiser, and he makes no mention of All Things Must Pass. He mentions George Harrison just once, ref a 1969 session with Billy Preston. However he did record I Remember Jeep - back in March 1969 - which was overdubbed at EMI on the same day Almost 12 Bar was recorded, 3 July 1970. I suspect (although I don't know for sure) that the Harrison source has unwittingly copied the personnel from I Remember Jeep over to Almost 12 Bar, assuming they were recorded together - which is not correct.

I wasn't there - I'm not claiming to know the facts, but I am sceptical about some of the info. It's something likely never to be fully pinned down.

Thanks again for the reply :)
mikec

Post by mikec »

Mr Bump wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:44 am Many thanks Mike. Appreciate the reply. How great that you've got that document - it must be the best listing available.

I saw the note in the deluxe set about complete listings being impossible, and I am sort-of resigned to that being so.

There are problems with the listings here though - take, for example, Almost 12 Bar Honky Tonk. It says Ginger Baker on drums. I am not aware Ginger Baker was ever involved in these sessions. I have a copy of his autobiography, Hellraiser, and he makes no mention of All Things Must Pass. He mentions George Harrison just once, ref a 1969 session with Billy Preston. However he did record I Remember Jeep - back in March 1969 - which was overdubbed at EMI on the same day Almost 12 Bar was recorded, 3 July 1970. I suspect (although I don't know for sure) that the Harrison source has unwittingly copied the personnel from I Remember Jeep over to Almost 12 Bar, assuming they were recorded together - which is not correct.

I wasn't there - I'm not claiming to know the facts, but I am sceptical about some of the info. It's something likely never to be fully pinned down.

Thanks again for the reply :)
Well, it seems not only the Harrison estate has this info on the July 3rd, 1970 Session with Ginger on drums but also many books and few web pages saying "I Remember Jeep" was recorded on July 3rd, 1970 (when it was actually recorded March 29, 1969 under the title "Jam Peace", with overdubs made May 12th, 1969 NOT July 3rd, 1970).
Here is a quote from the Eight Arms book:
"Cream's Ginger Baker makes a guest drumming appearance on this oddly-named workout (in honor of Clapton's dog, Jeep), with Klaus Voormann on bass, Billy Preston on his usual keyboards, and the fabulous sound of the guitar duo Eric Clapton and George Harrison. This was recorded as "Jam 4" in Studio Three at EMI on July 3rd, 1970."

and similar info here:
https://www.beatlesbible.com/people/geo ... mber-jeep/

But according to the 2021 ATMP re-release, "Jam 4" is "Almost 12 bar Honky Tonk", not "I Remember Jeep", so... there is some sort of indication that Ginger was on another Jam session in 1970 or the info on the tape boxes/paperwork/books and web pages is wrong in some way.
Regards